EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in a parking lot making phone calls with the car off and auxillary on (radio only). I became distracted and went to leave and put the car in reverse. As soon as I started backing up I realized I didn't have power steering and then realized that was because the car was turned off. You shouldn't be able to put a car in gear when it's off, right? I think I need to have the transmission checked if that is the case. I didn't have to force it into gear at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
With the key in the auxillary postion, mine will also allow the shifter to operate. The E is so quiet when it is running, its almost like it is turned off. Yours is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Any automatic car that I have ever had allowed the car to be put into gear if the key is turn clockwise (older cars you turn it counter clockwise for aux) as that unlocks the steering wheel and gear shifter. Nothing new there.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes a potential danger, for sure. but that's what driving is and it demands full attention. Bet if you were off phone you would have noticed!?? Not to criticize , as I have MISSED my exit while talking/driving!! (hands free, but not brains free! ;) )

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I was off my phone when this occured. I specifically parked to take the call. I just tried to put our Trailblazer in gear and it wouldn't go so maybe it's a Chevy thing or maybe that one is the problem.. Who knows, I have a enough problems so I won't worry about this one. ;)

Ok, I didn't take my own advice and checked again. If I put my key in the ignition and turn it once I can put the car in gear. It takes three turns to start so I'm not talking about the second turn when the engine lights and everything come on just the radio. The Trailblazer will do it on the second not the first. I'm going to let it go after this. ;D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Enclavious said:
Actually I was off my phone when this occured. I specifically parked to take the call. I just tried to put our Trailblazer in gear and it wouldn't go so maybe it's a Chevy thing or maybe that one is the problem.. Who knows, I have a enough problems so I won't worry about this one. ;)

Ok, I didn't take my own advice and checked again. If I put my key in the ignition and turn it once I can put the car in gear. It takes three turns to start so I'm not talking about the second turn when the engine lights and everything come on just the radio. The Trailblazer will do it on the second not the first. I'm going to let it go after this. ;D
Ok. No offense intended ;D Glad it's working and yes mine does that too.
Stay well. hubby needs you and we're all here for you, day or nite..............well 2much coffee is at nite ;) :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
This happened to me yesterday. I got the kids in the car, put on a DVD for them and then put the car in reverese to start my trip. The car started rolling forward. I was so confused. I thought the car was on so I called my father in law over to tell him I had a problem. He reminded me the car was not fully on. The car is so quiet when it is running I could not tell the difference. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
84 Posts
With all the new "distractions" cell phones, DVDs, Laptops, Bluetooth and Navagation most requiring some kind of power on, perhaps more thought should be given to gearshift and steering lockouts. :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts