EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
This could be a nice alternative to simply replacing peeling pillar appliques. The link still works after all of these year, too! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
It would probably be the cheapest alternative. If you are like me and prefer a "blacked-out" look you could peel the applique off, pick up some Plasti-dip, and spray it flat black.

·
Registered
265 Posts
the black coating on my d/door pillar is starting to peel and i have been trying to make up my mind to plastidip or chrome cover. both look good but the plastidip may need re coats over time.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
mifd118 said:
the black coating on my d/door pillar is starting to peel and i have been trying to make up my mind to plastidip or chrome cover. both look good but the plastidip may need re coats over time.
It absolutely will, but it's easy to touch it up. It's really a pretty durable product, unless you spray it with something like bug and tar remover (it dissolves it).

·
Registered
703 Posts
BadAV said:
It absolutely will, but it's easy to touch it up. It's really a pretty durable product, unless you spray it with something like bug and tar remover (it dissolves it).
I posted previously in the other thread that I may try Plasti-Dip. Can it really be "touched up"? I thought you needed to peel it off completely then start over (at least on the affected area).

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've used Plasti Dip on some things, but it would not be the product of my choice for this area. The pillars are in a high visibility area and unless the application is absolutely perfect, any imperfections will stand out. Much better to cover up some de-lamination with a SS cover.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The problem with those stainless and black pillar covers is that they don't wrap around the edge of the door toward the weatherstripping. If you look at the factory applique it does. If you peel off the factory coating you will see that the pillar is actually painted the same as the body. After you peel the factory cover off (since it is already bubbling) and then try to add the stick-on aftermarket ones you will see a line between the covers and the door weatherstripping that is body-colored (or if you leave the factory coating on you may still see delamination/bubbling). That may not be bad on dark colors but on something like WDT it looks horrible. With Plasti-Dip you could paint the entire way up to the weatherstripping and wouldn't see the body color between the windows (I would also do the C-pillar).

It's too cold in my area to try this for a few more months. Once we get around to spring I may give Plasti-Dip a try.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
If you do, sklunk, let us know how it comes out and post some photos.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
This could be a nice alternative to simply replacing peeling pillar appliques. The link still works after all of these year, too! :thumb:
I agree but I probably would wait till they looked bad before installing them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts