EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is normal RMP range for idling, especially while in gear with brakes applied?

My car seems to run a little rough - I feel a light vibration in the steering wheel. I do not think I felt it before (the car just came back from cams repair).

Dealer says he can later adjust RMPS but right now he is more concerned with CEL not coming back...

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
While I don't know what normal idle rpm should be, my Enclave idles at a little over 600 rpm at a stop in drive.

I have also noticed a little steering wheel vibration when idling. It seems to be more pronounced in gear at a traffic stop than when idling in park. It also seems to get worse when the air conditioning compressor clicks on. Finally, the vibration has increased in intensity the last couple of weeks. My Enclave has about 5300 miles on it now.

My concern is the worsening lately of this vibration. I got my car in late November, so until the last couple of weeks the weather in New Jersey has been cold. Also my car was rear-ended when stopped at a traffic light about two weeks ago. There was mild rear right side bumper and tailpipe damage. I noticed the increased vibration about two days after the accident. First, is there normally any steering wheel vibration in the highly refined Enclave? Second, should I be concerned about the increase in this vibration in the last couple of weeks? ???

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
My car has idled around 610-620 rpms when in gear at a traffic stop since I bought it. I just double checked that each line on the tachometer represents 200 rpm to confirm that I was reading the rpms correctly. When the car is started cold, the idle in park start around 1025 rpms, then settles at 640-650 in park after about a minute or so. I've always felt a slight steering wheel vibration since I got it, but at times after driving for a while it would seem nearly gone in cold weather without the compressor kicking in. The vibration was always less than in any other car I had owned before.

My concern is that the vibration has increased, under all circumstances, either since the accident occurred or the weather warmed up. I also just noticed that the tailpipe appears to be pushed forward about 3/4". Could this be affecting exhaust flow and causing the increased vibration? Is it possible that there is more serious drivetrain damage from a relatively minor rearend collision? (I hope not, since this would likely leave me with a 4+ month old car,that I truly love, never the same as new.) Could this simply be a normal weather-related characteristic of this drivetrain? Also, was my idle never calibrated properly from the factory, and that any vibration is abnormal for this car? I would like to be armed with some information before approaching the repair shop and/or my Buick dealer.

Thanks!

P.S. Good luck Chumster with the cam results!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made a mistake. I guess the car was not warmed up completely. Mine idles around 620 as well. :-[

It's been a week without the CEL but something does not feel right. The engine sounds a little different plus I hear some new noises.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
GoldEnclave Of course the accident had an affect! The tailpipe is connected to the cat and engine! Our engines have special Bi-Static engine mounts (fluid) and give an ultra smooth idle. Hope you got the Ins. stuff squared away after the accident, cause it is gonna cost big, I bet ???

Sorry for the bad luck, but at least you're OK ;D

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Smokin SRX Thanks for the input. I was advised by the manager at the auto body shop associated with my auto dealer that the increased idle roughness is likely due to an exhaust flow restriction, and that I should get the car repaired as soon as possible to avoid secondary engine damage. I had already thought about the possibility of affected engine mounts, but he felt this unlikely.

Also, can anybody let me know if there normally is any noticeable idle vibration in the steering wheel (or anywhere else) in the Enclave? I've always noticed a little, even prior to the accident.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I got my Enclave back from the body shop (looks great!) and the rougher idle is still present. However, yesterday was unusually cold (mid 40's) and the idle smoothed out to what I had experienced before the accident. Today was warmer again, and the idle was rougher again. It seems that my idle roughness is temperature sensitive, independent of AC compressor engagement (cycled on-off both days), and fuel quality issues (same tank of gas). I'm glad that this issue doesn't seem to be accident-related, but I'm still curious if this idle pattern (especially noticeable as steering wheel vibration) is normal.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Mine seems to idle around 700-800 and I have to say I notice no vibration. In fact I can hardly tell it is running. I can't hear the engine at that level with the radio on a moderate volume and feel nothing in the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Chumster and I both notice idle vibration in the steering wheel, and both have idle speeds lower than those whose idles are extremely smooth. Sounds like I need to have the idle increased at my next visit to the service department.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I want to share more rough idle observations, which I've had for about 1000 miles now, for additional input before I approach the service department.

I have realized that the idle smooths out significantly as soon as I release the brake pedal before hitting the gas. Is it possible that there is actually a problem with the biphasic engine mounts? I am also concerned that the engine just seems a little less refined during acceleration, with more NVH than the first few months of ownership. I'm not sure if it is just that the low NVH novelty has worn off or if the problem is real. There have been posts regarding the perception that the Enclave seems noisier after the first few months of ownership, but none about increasing vibration and harshness. My other car had a sudden onset of similar idle roughness, also with about 5000 miles on the odometer, which spontaneously resolved after about 1000 miles. The Subaru dealer guessed it was likely a carbon build up. The vibration was felt mostly in the brake pedal in that car, however. Maybe this is simply the same issue? :-\

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I asked to have RPMs increased but my request was denied as "unnecessary". The SM claims that he checked a brand new Enclave and it also had a slight vibration and that is normal.

I guess I have to check it on my own...

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
chumster said:
I asked to have RPMs increased but my request was denied as "unnecessary". The SM claims that he checked a brand new Enclave and it also had a slight vibration and that is normal.

I guess I have to check it on my own...
I had my car in today for rough idle evaluation, and was told my Enclave was performing normally - no action needed. I have noticed sometimes, lately, that my car idles around 800 rpm, but the roughness is the same. It seems the idle rpm is not the issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How is the power while driving? What kind of regular gasoline are you using? Do you drive on the highway much, or is all your driving in the city?

I also idle around 800 rpm in gear, but the engine is so smooth I have to almost look at the tach to see if it is ruinning, It is one of the smoothest vehicles I have ever owned.

I am so sorry to hear of your problem with your car. There has to be something wrong. As far as the engine is concerned, the dealer ties all their warranty maintenance response to that check engine light. No light, no codes, and thus no work to look for anything. They really look for the light to tell them where to look when diagnosing malfunctions. A good mechanic looks for obvious things instead of tying everything to that light.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GoldEnclave said:
I had my car in today for rough idle evaluation, and was told my Enclave was performing normally - no action needed. I have noticed sometimes, lately, that my car idles around 800 rpm, but the roughness is the same. It seems the idle rpm is not the issue.
Thanks for your posts, I read them. Even if RPMs are not the issue, why some people have lower 600s and some 800s? My car runs much smoother when it is a little cold and RMS are a little high (around 800).
I had a similar problem with a SAAB, dealer increased RPMs by 50 and it made a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
GSEREP1, I usually use BP(Amaco) 87 octane. I tried a tankful of 93 octane about two weeks ago with no perceivable difference. Most of my driving is local and high speed stop-and-go. I will be taking the Enclave on its first long range highway trip out of state this weekend (about 300 miles round trip). I keep coming up with all sorts of ideas for the cause of the problem, including carbon build up. Maybe it's the NJ summer fuel formulation. If I'm lucky, the highway driving may clear the increased NVH if it's due to build up. If out of state fuel only temporarily improves NVH, then instead I would know that it's NJ formulation. Maybe this trip will have no affect. :-\

On a positive note, I will finally get the opportunity to check my highway mileage. :thumb:

Chumster, I wish the issue were due to low idle rpm. Unfortunately it seems unrelated to my car's symptoms since they are the same whether idle is 620 or 770 rpm. I have entertained the idea that a problematic HVAC compressor may be involved in my higher NVH, perhaps incidentally intermittently reducing rpm due to excessive drag compared to design. :-\

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I am happy to report that my Enclave seems to have returned to its original NVH levels for the last few days. It just returned from its first significant highway trip, and it seems quieter, accelerates more smoothly, and has much less idle vibration. I didn't gas up out of state, so I can't blame NJ summer blend gasoline for the NVH problem I had been experiencing. I am presuming that the cause was engine carbon buildup that was "blown out" during the trip. :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts