EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LANSING -- Idled workers at General Motors Corp.’s Lansing Delta Township plant will start to return to work in June, GM spokeswoman Heidi Magyar said Monday.

The workers, some of whom have been out of work since the plant’s third shift ended earlier this year, will be needed to replace those who are retiring or leaving the company.

Detroit-based GM is trying to entice hourly workers to go by offering them retirement bonuses or cash payouts to leave the company before retirement age.

People opting to retire or leave have until May 22 to make their decisions and then have a week to change their minds. If they decide to go, they’ll need to leave by July 1.

“We plan to start recalling people in June,” Magyar said.

The number of workers recalled will depend on how many people take part in GM’s “special attrition program,” Magyar said.

“It’s really hard to say how many that will be,” said Doug Rademacher, president of United Auto Workers Local 602, which represents hourly workers at the plant.

“I’ve got to believe it could be a few hundred,” he estimated.

If all the idled GM workers at the Lansing Delta Township plant are recalled to work and more help still is needed, laid-off GM workers from other local facilities would get a chance to go back to work first.

Laid-off workers outside Lansing would be the next ones offered jobs, then the temporary workers who worked while the Delta Township plant was running on three shifts, she said.

The Lansing Delta Township plant produces the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook crossover vehicles.

Workers also might be called back to the Lansing Grand River plant, which makes the Cadillac CTS and STS sedans and the Cadillac SRX crossover.

Plant spokeswoman Kelley White said there are a few idled people from that factory.

They would be the first returned to work.

GM is in the process of whittling down its work force.

All hourly workers at GM have the option to take some form of buyout or early retirement incentive or to keep their jobs.

Retirement incentives of $45,000 — or $62,500 for skilled trades workers such as electricians — are available to those eligible for retirement.

Those near retirement can retire early in exchange for a monthly cash payment until retirement age is reached.

Younger workers may receive up to $140,000 to leave the company and sever all ties other than their vested pensions.

Under a labor contract signed in October, GM then can refill those vacant positions with new workers who would be paid about $14 an hour, compared to the current line worker wage of about $29 an hour.

The lower wage will be paid to people deemed to hold “non-core production jobs.”

However, the company and union haven’t yet decided which jobs fit the non-core
description.
[/color]

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080401/BUSINESS01/80401038

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Man, days like I am having, I wish someone would offer me money to retire, about $22.75 would do it today.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
bsox said:
Man, days like I am having, I wish someone would offer me money to retire, about $22.75 would do it today.
If I give you $22.76, will you go?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
MRBUICK said:
If I give you $22.76, will you go?
Ouch, you know when someone you love and respect is mean to you like this, it hurts deeper than you could ever imagine :(

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
bsox said:
Ouch, you know when someone you love and respect is mean to you like this, it hurts deeper than you could ever imagine :(
bsox
You taught me everything I know about personal relationships. 8)
Don't be mad, it will drive me to :beer: :love:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts