EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

If your Enclave had a failed wave plate, what model year was involved?

  • 2008

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2009

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2010

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2011

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2012

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2013

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2014

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2015

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2016

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let us know which model year Enclave you've had that experienced a wave plate failure. After voting, please follow the following link to the next part of the poll to indicate the approximate mileage at which the issue showed up.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=9151.msg133792;topicseen#new




***Please be sure to start with part 1 of this 3 part poll.***
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
Re: If your Enclave's wave plate failed, what model year was involved? (Poll 2 of 3)

Only 2008's so far? I thought there were other years involved here...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Re: If your Enclave's wave plate failed, what model year was involved? (Poll 2 of 3)

Maybe not on the Enclave forum? The other lambdas have reported other years with wave plate problems....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: If your Enclave's wave plate failed, what model year was involved? (Poll 2 of 3)

There are far too few votes turned in, so far, to draw any conclusions.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: If your Enclave's wave plate failed, what model year was involved? (Poll 2 of 3)

Bear in mind that the 2008 Enclaves have, on average, more miles on them than the newer model years. Consequently, it would seem likely that more 2008 votes will show up in this poll than other model years, at this time. However, even if there are fewer votes for the other model years, any vote is an indictment of that year's susceptibility to premature wave plate failure, so long as there are enough responses to make the poll statistically valid. That said, please keep the votes coming, and please make sure to complete all 3 parts of this 3 part poll. Thanks for you help. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
Re: If your Enclave's wave plate failed, what model year was involved? (Poll 2 of 3)

GoldEnclave said:
Bear in mind that the 2008 Enclaves have, on average, more miles on them than the newer model years. Consequently, it would seem likely that more 2008 votes will show up in this poll than other model years, at this time. However, even if there are fewer votes for the other model years, any vote is an indictment of that year's susceptibility to premature wave plate failure, so long as there are enough responses to make the poll statistically valid. That said, please keep the votes coming, and please make sure to complete all 3 parts of this 3 part poll. Thanks for you help. ;)
My hunch is that the transmissions are identical from 2008-2011, mechanically. Sure, they changed some things with the software, but mechanically....they should be the same. :shrug:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: If your Enclave's wave plate failed, what model year was involved? (Poll 2 of 3)

kidsenclave said:
My hunch is that the transmissions are identical from 2008-2011, mechanically. Sure, they changed some things with the software, but mechanically....they should be the same. :shrug:
I agree, but it might be that the faulty wave plate issue was resolved midstream at some point before the 2012 model year. In fact, I am assuming that is the case, but I am curious to determine which model year Enclaves are at risk.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: If your Enclave's wave plate failed, what model year was involved? (Poll 2 of 3)

Please make your situation known. Place your vote now. Also, make sure to vote in all 3 parts of this survey. The other sections of the poll can be found at the top of the polls board. ;)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Though the number of responses to the poll is too limited to establish a reliable trend yet, it is starting to look a bit indicting of the 2008s. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Though the number of responses to the poll is too limited to establish a reliable trend yet, it is starting to look a bit indicting of the 2008s. :(
His assessment is 100% accurate.

Woo Hoo! Let's hear it for the 2008's!!! Wooooo Hoooooo!!!!

:dancing:

That's you and me, Gold.

Mine's repaired.

How's yer's hangin?

;D

. . Falcon
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those who gave a positive response for wave plate failure, could you please take a moment to report the manufacturing dates of your 2008 Enclaves? I am wondering if only a select group of 2008s are involved, perhaps due to a bad batch(es) of wave plates. Thanks. ;)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had my 2008 Enclave in for the infamous water pump failure ::) and I tried to extract some information from the tech about the infamous wave plate failures ::) ::). The tech divulged some interesting information:

1) the 2008s seem to be the ones involved (seems about right...)
2) Acadias are significantly more prone to the problem than Enclaves (that's interesting...)
3) the issue is likely linked to a supplier that was used only for that model year's wave plates (AHA! we finally have a reason!)

I tried to get his impression about the percentage of 2008s that have had wave plate failures, and he claimed to have no idea. However, he has noticed that most of the wave plates he's repaired were on 2008 lambdas with around 80,000 miles on the odometers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
Interesting, but that one person who voted above, with the 2010, might not agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,433 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I had my 2008 Enclave in for the infamous water pump failure ::) and I tried to extract some information from the tech about the infamous wave plate failures ::) ::). The tech divulged some interesting information:

1) the 2008s seem to be the ones involved (seems about right...)
2) Acadias are significantly more prone to the problem than Enclaves (that's interesting...)
3) the issue is likely linked to a supplier that was used only for that model year's wave plates (AHA! we finally have a reason!)

I tried to get his impression about the percentage of 2008s that have had wave plate failures, and he claimed to have no idea. However, he has noticed that most of the wave plates he's repaired were on 2008 lambdas with around 80,000 miles on the odometers.
Just remember imho information from a tech may not be reliable....it would be like asking a financial services rep i.e. stockbroker what he's seeing in the market. Have you ever gotten the response, "I'm a technician, not an engineer?" What I'm implying is the engineer is removed from the sales or churn and burn aspect be it financial or auto repair. We're probably after info that is of an engineering nature, i.e. root cause. We all know the solution to most of these problems is not simply to replace with remanuf. parts, but that's what we get when the engineers goof.

I went through this with BMW, out of nowhere in 3 mos. I get a extended to 10 years 120k warranty on the fuel system. No worries, it doesn't apply to me, or so I thought. It took over 3 years for my car to go, kaboom! And then I became very interested on what was going on, talked to different techs, SA's, foreman. Looking back I realize that none of them had a clue and the bottom line was until the mfg. was going to part with some serious $$$, nothing was going to get fixed. Thankfully ABC News saw to it that the mfg. was going to part with some Benjamins. ;D

So unfortunately, maybe it's gonna take 3 years for 2011's to go kaboom, I hope not though....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tech I spoke to was also the evening service department manager/service writer, so I think that his information is likely based on accurate information and experienced observation. I am fairly convinced that what he told me is correct.

Regarding the 2010 wave plate vote, I assume that these can fail on a very rare occasion even if they are manufactured properly.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Based on Falcon's recent research, only the 2007-early build 2009 lambdas are especially at risk for premature wave plate failure. Regardless, please continue to cast your votes to help support of disprove (wishful thinking as a 2008 Enclave owner) his assertion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,911 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Please let us know which model year Enclave you've had that experienced a wave plate failure. After voting, please follow the following link to the next part of the poll to indicate the approximate mileage at which the issue showed up.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=9151.msg133792;topicseen#new




***Please be sure to start with part 1 of this 3 part poll.***
Great! I just bought my 08 2 weeks ago. I don't know if it has been replaced already. This was a 1 owner car taken well care of. It has 66k miles on it. What mileage should I be aware that this may become a problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
I have over 115,000 on my '08 and still on the original wave plate. I worried about it for a while, but decided worrying wasn't a productive use of my feeble mind, so I quit worrying. If it happens, it happens...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,911 Posts
rockyp said:
I have over 115,000 on my '08 and still on the original wave plate. I worried about it for a while, but decided worrying wasn't a productive use of my feeble mind, so I quit worrying. If it happens, it happens...
[/quote

Thanks, Rocky! I had to replace the trans. in my 02 Olds Silhouette (3800.00) not a joy to the pocketbook. I hope I have great luck with the fact that the assembly line put my wave plate in the correct way and not reversed as I have read that this may be the cause of failure of these plates with the rounded corner teeth verses the jagged more flat teeth on the obverse side.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top