EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is in critical condition in the hospital, so I've been watching his home for him. His Enclave has been sitting in the driveway without being used for approximately 3 months now. The other day I thought it would be a good idea to start it to make sure everything is still in working order. I put the key in the ignition, and now I can't get it out. Can anyone help me as I don't want to leave the key in there for fear something might happen while I am away from his home. Thanks in advance for any help!

:eek:hno:

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
his battery may be dead or close to dead.

IN this case-- try to turn off overhead lights and exterior headlamps.

to turn off interior lights... push the button my finger is touching...
then turn the large knob to the left-- to disable exterior lights.

(make sure radio and fans are off too)
(and dont step on the brakes)

then see if you can remove the keys.
if no.... try to connect jumper cables to the stud under the hood- and the ground point on the engine.
While doing this- may as well run the vehicle for a while to recharge the battery.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I think rbarrios is spot-on. When the battery is dead (or nearly so), the key can get stuck. Happened to me...

·
Registered
956 Posts
My key was stuck once and the wheel was turned almost all the way to one side. I had to turn the wheel as far as it would go before the key would release. Only happened once....now I try to keep the wheel straight when parking.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
dzs3fz said:
My key was stuck once and the wheel was turned almost all the way to one side. I had to turn the wheel as far as it would go before the key would release. Only happened once....now I try to keep the wheel straight when parking.
I've experienced this, but not in my Enclave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Key stuck in ignition

My key is stuck in my ignition, leaving the car in 'acc' mode, draining the battery. After calling for roadside assist due to not being able to get into the car with the dead battery, I then was able to drive it home. Now it has a dead battery and I need to know what I should ask the auto repair mechanic to try to fix. This is a 2012 Enclave Premium, which I have owned only two days. It had been inspected by an independent shop to assure all was in working order, prior to the purchase. And now this mess! HELP please.:sad:

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you've had to 2 days take it back to the dealer where you bought it and make them fix it. As you've hopefully read in the multiple threads you bumped with the same exact post there are several things that can cause this problem. It's probably either a made microswitch in the shifter so the car doesn't know it's in park and won't release the switch, or a bad ignition switch where the solenoid that moves the lock holding the key has failed.

When the battery is charged (or you're getting a jump) does the car start? If it starts but when you shut it off the key still won't go past ACC so you can remove it my first step would be troubleshooting the ignition itself. In that case the microswitch is probably fine because if the ECM didn't see the car in park it wouldn't let it start either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts