EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Enclave has been to the dealer twice for an ignition problem that they cannot seem to find. The Engine light comes on and the remote starter won't work. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes,
This is addressed elsewhere in this forum. The problem is the cam sensors. There is one for each bank, so there are 2. Dealers replaced the cam sensors and all is well again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Cam sensor problem shows up as a emission control system malfunction, in which case the remote start function will not operate if there is an emission problem.
I found this out when my cam sensor was acting up and after it was replaced it worked fine.
It also states this on page 2-9 in the owners manual.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
rocky102 said:
The Cam sensor problem shows up as a emission control system malfunction, in which case the remote start function will not operate if there is an emission problem.
I found this out when my cam sensor was acting up and after it was replaced it worked fine.
Great info Rocky102!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
rocky102 said:
Thks for those details rocky102 . Did not see that tie-in to Remote Start from others, before. Most posters here are getting a "Camshaft position /sensor" code, with a Check engine lite and/or Stabilitrac message. Guess the Check lite does the dirty work to the Remote start, as per page 2-9.

When you got your camshaft/gaskets replaced, did you wait long? Can you tell us your "build" date from lower drivers door label? (I had to pull away rubber seal, a bit, to read it) I recall that you got it not too long ago? Lotsa concerned members here.

Glad you're running fine now. :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Smokin My build date was 10/07, picked it up on 11/12 First check engine light was @ 200miles which I never noticed cause I was to wrapped up driving my new Enclave, then again @ 1200 miles and thats when I took it to the dealer and he pulled the codes and told me it first showed up @ 200 mi.

The actual replacenent took about 3 days to get the sensor and about 5 hrs to replace.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Add me in as a "victim". The light just came on today, on Star says ignition problem but OK to drive for 7 days. Will try taking the car to the dealer tomorrow/Friday :mad:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
PAPoPo said:
that sucks , good luck, what is your build date?
The build date was 1/24. Today is exactly 1 month since I picked up my Enclave. What a way to celebrate :sosad:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Thanks, chumster & rocky102 , looks to be a trend in more recent build dates? My 06/08 build is OK with 8K so far 8)

Seems rocky lucked out with a quick parts availability! Wonder if they did the entire job some others mention....E.I. new head gaskets, camshaft itself, etc? Please let us know if it "holds up". Wishing you many happy miles.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
So, I got my car back today and here is another mystery.

Service Department pulled a "misfire" code for a brief time and then that code went away!! And so did the SEL. They are hoping it was just a fluke. Otherwise they have to tear engine apart. BTW, OnStar said it was ignition problem.

The car runs fine, they checked it in and out, did a test drive, etc.

This is the second problem with my Enclave within 1 month of my ownership that cured itself. I am not sure what to think of it...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The SEL is back on.

OnStar diagnosed ignition problem again but they said it is safe to drive the car.

Called the dealer -they are yet to get back to me.

Called Buick Customer Service (through OnStar) -they hung up on me twice until I convinced them to take my cell phone # and call me back if we get disconnected. Buick CS tried convincing me that I should only service my car at the dealer ship it was purchased from!!! After a 10-minute heated debate, they retracted their request.

To top it off, I can get a rental only if the car stays overnight (does it mean I have to go back to the dealership to get it??). The dealer does not provide loaners.

So far the way things are going I am thinking to change my avatar " My first and last Buick"....

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
chumster said:
The SEL is back on.

OnStart diagnosed ignition problem again but theu said it is safe to drive the car.

Called Buick Customer Service (through OnStar) -they hung up on me twice until I convicend them to take my cell phone # and call me back if we get disconnected. Buick CS tried convincing methat I should only service my car at the dealer ship it was purchased from!!! After a 10-minute heated debate, they retracted their request.

To top it off, I can get a rental only if the car stays overnight (does it mean I have to go back to the dealership to get it??). The dealer does not provide loaners.

So far the way things are going I am thinking to change my avatar " My first and last Buick"....
Do you have any other dealers you can go to...won't return your calls, won't give you a loaner for a problem that they have no idea how long they will need to have your car...not to sound like some GM homers, but alot of your problems seem to stem from the dealership and how they are treating you? Good luck, I really feel sorry for you, nothing worse than problems right away. I still have to take mine in for a bad fuel gauge (jumps all over, one minute it says full, the next almost 1/2 a tank etc., but they told me they would have to pull the fuel tank and I am putting that off), drivers side wind noise, a warning light (stabilitract warning), and squeaky brake...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I was going to give this dealer one more chance.

There are tons of dealership within 25-mile radius. This one is within 0.5-mile radius...

If I do not hear from them within 1 day, I will go elsewhere. But I do not think such treatment, or actually lack thereof, should go unnoticed.

Unfortuantely, BBB or Buick CS are not very effective...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
chumster said:
The SEL is back on.

OnStart diagnosed ignition problem again but theu said it is safe to drive the car.

Called Buick Customer Service (through OnStar) -they hung up on me twice until I convicend them to take my cell phone # and call me back if we get disconnected. Buick CS tried convincing methat I should only service my car at the dealer ship it was purchased from!!! After a 10-minute heated debate, they retracted their request.

That's lousy Customer service. Why couldn't you go to any dealer you like? I do. My auto was obtained 120 miles away from my Buick dealer and home. Service Mgr. did make a face however when I arrived with it?? I said "you didn't have one and I needed a car. Period. Do you want me or not?" He said OK, but there is a note on my service record everytime I go in...." purchased out of state" . ???? Maybe Tralfaz can clarify what the unclear big deal is. I have bought other cars from them? They get paid for GM for warranty service. Are they taking it personal? Do they want your future sales??

Anyway, my Dealer gives a ride home or to work (within 10 miles) if repair service cannot be done while you wait in comfortable lounge, and yes, a rental, if car stays overnite. They transport me back to dealership if needed. Once they gave me rental upon my arrival, as they knew work would require an overnite stay.

May be wishful dreaming on my part, but a tiny water droplet in gas will cause a temporary Misfire code also. If you have a real problem with the dreaded Camshaft Sensor, you'll unfortunately know. I don't think you had that code yet? Try a tank of better gas, from a different vendor. Couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
That's lousy Customer service. Why couldn't you go to any dealer you like? I do. My auto was obtained 120 miles away from my Buick dealer and home. Service Mgr. did make a face however when I arrived with it?? I said "you didn't have one and I needed a car. Period. Do you want me or not?" He said OK, but there is a note on my service record everytime I go in...." purchased out of state" . ???? Maybe Tralfaz can clarify what the unclear big deal is. I have bought other cars from them? They get paid for GM for warranty service. Are they taking it personal? Do they want your future sales??
Why on earth would he care if you bought it from out of state or not? I didn't know business was that good that they can pick and choose who they service. FWIW, it seems that every car I've bought over the past twenty years gets serviced somewhere other than where I got it from. I have never once had any service manager ask me where it came from or make face or anything. Isn't the service department the biggest profit center at the dealer??

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I called two more dealerships and their first question was - did you buy your car here? :angryfire:

BTW, one of my friends have a similar problem with a BMW. And another one with Mercedes (the are treated differently because they purchased their cars elsewhere).

Anyway, I put a different brand of gas in, hope for the best...

·
Registered
721 Posts
chumster said:
I called two more dealerships and their first question was - did you buy your car here? :angryfire: ........snip
Sorry, but the last few posts really really ticked me off. What the heck difference does it make to the service department where you purchased your car??? Our attitide (and it should be THEIRS, too!) is "thank you for choosing us for your service....". If the dealer treats you right AFTER you've bought the car, his chances of selling you the next one go up big time. I can't tell you how many calls we've fielded from customers with questions, or had people stop in with problem, etc. and we just take care of them. What planet are these dealers on?? It gives all of us a bad name every time something like this happens and there is just no excuse.

Sorry for the rant..... ::) You all deserve better than that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
chumster said:
I called two more dealerships and their first question was - did you buy your car here? :angryfire:

BTW, one of my friends have a similar problem with a BMW. And another one with Mercedes (the are treated differently because they purchased their cars elsewhere).

Anyway, I put a different brand of gas in, hope for the best...
Since your from NJ also, this dealer thing has me very curious. Can you tell me who & where you dealer is as well as the other two that asked if you bought the car there so I know to stay the >:D H**L >:D away from them. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts