EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who lives/travels in Illinois experienced problems with the windshield mounted I-Pass transponder in their Enclave? I am considering ordering a transponder and really don't like the inconvenience of the license plate mounted version, which is my only other option other than paying double when paying cash (yuck!!!). :eek:hno:
I'd rather be able to remove it for the 90% of the time I am not on the tollway. And the windshield mount is easier to move between vehicles.

Suggestions? Comments? Problems?

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hello Mo,

You won't have any problems with the iPass transponder, whether mounted or not. In my Dad's Enclave, I put the plastic velcro strips on the darkened around around the rear view mirror -- then I've checked the account to make sure it registered. No problemo.

In our Enclave, I simply lay the transponder in the recessed area on the middle of the dash -- and it registers fine there too. Caution, it does slide around a bit if you've got a lot of corners to take, but it you throw it on your dash when you're on the highway and take it off when you exit, you should have no problems. I have also read that some have actually just kept it inside the latched compartment on the dash and it apparently will read even inside there with the cover closed (I have not tried this myself, so YMMV -- I would try it once, check my account on the website to see if it registered) and then do whatever you feel best.

In no event would I get or would you need to get a license plate mounted transponder.
Good luck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was driving around the Chicago area this past weekend & there is no problem with the windshield on the Enclave like there was with a van I had in 2000. I left mine inside the dashboard compartment & all but one toll registered, why I don't know. Another day I put it in the recessed speaker area on the dash & they all registered fine there just like desgnconcpts stated. I don't drive in the Chicago area everyday so I probably won't mount it on the windshield. Probably would if I lived there just for convenience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Thank you for all your wonderful advice. I will be ordering my new I-pass real soon and can soon tell the Gov. where to stick his double tolls for paying cash. :mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an Outlook, but most of the interior features are the same.

Anyway, I put mine in the latched compartment on the dash, and it won't read. If I pop the lid open, just before I get to the toll, then it will read. Weird, but true. So, now, I just leave it in their, and pop the lid at the toll.

Just remember, if you do this, the toll actually reads, about 25 yards from the toll booth, NOT directly under it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts