EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say "hi" and introduce myself. I first came to learn of the Enclave (thru the commercial) about a month ago and have been mesmerized ever since. That's a big statement for me because until now, I was never into american cars.-- only foreign (mainly for reliability). So to go american, and with a Buick no less, is HUGE for me. I traded in my Volvo XC90 and had an Acura MDX before that. Anyway, thru the buick.com "check vehicle inventory" site, I'd had my eye on a fully loaded (everything but engine block heater) cocoa/cashmere CXL AWD for a week at a dealer 2 hours away. To save me the drive, I worked with THREE somewhat local dealers over the past week to see if they could get it via trade from the dealer--- the dealership wouldn't give it up. I couldn't believe another buyer didn't snag it in the meantime-- and it's been on display on their showroom floor. When the 3rd dealer revealed yesterday that he couldn't get it from there or anywhere, my husband and I said "forget it" and hopped in the car to where we knew the one I wanted was.

If you believe in fate, I think that car was waiting for me. As I walked in the showroom and stared at the grill, the "grin" seemed to say "What took you so long??". So I got it! It was a very nice (satisfying) drive home. :blob: :thumb:

I went through the whole 12 week ordering process when I got my MDX when they first came out--- I was soooo not wanting to go through that kind of agony again. I'm glad I could avoid it this time around.

I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone!!!

BTW (I'm 36 and my husband is 40).

·
Registered
509 Posts
Congrats!

Sounds just like us now. We were actually originally fine with the ordering idea...until the thought of actually waiting played in ;)

Recently found the "right" one about 3.5 hours away, just sitting--certainly a driveable distance, but not close. Got a quote and info from the dealer who has it, but also in the meantime got in contact with a dealer closer to see if they could also get it via swap, etc. As of Friday, they had faxed over info to the other place...but no answer back. Either they will, or they won't, and if they don't...we'll just end up doing the same thing you eventually did and just taking a drive. As the second dealer reminded "it’s really hard to get and keep enclaves", so dealers aren't as willing to give any up.

But all that's important is that you got yours...AND it replaced a Volvo that followed an Acura. Never thought a "Buick" would do that, huh?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
WAY TO GO. I am the same as you, this is my first american car since 1977. It is a hard habit to break and I am sure we are the people GM was hoping to capture with the Enclave. I have 2200 miles on mine and I love it. I hope you do also. Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of info here to help you get to know your car. Use the search box on the home page to look for topics. I can't believe there isn't much we have not covered, some might be buried in a bunch of chatting, but it is there. Good Luck

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome Austin71!!! :welcome: Great story!!! Put a tear in my eye and pictured myself when I saw my Enclave for the first time!!
I absolutely LOVE to drive my Enclave. Even with screaming kids in the back!! I try to muffle them with my XM 80's in the front seat!
I really liked my little 1997 Camry...But, I love coming out of a store and see my Enclave in the distance and say "That's my Vehicle!!!" :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Wow! I stumbled onto this old thread just now, and it brings back memories of the early days of the Buick Enclave and of this forum. I don't think that I had ever seen this thread in over 4 years of forum membership. Discovering it reminded me of how I had discovered the Enclave; I saw one on a dealer's lot while commuting home, and fell in love.

I still have my Enclave, and still love it. Too bad that the original members who had posted their new-found love for their Enclaves in this thread are no longer Enclave owners, or are just no longer active forum participants. Oh well, time marches on. But for a brief moment when I read this thread, I was temporarily transported back in time. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
...so was I, just after I looked at the date :facepalm:

Just because I'm new to the E I think everyone else is.

I don't get to drive it much but boy is it ever nice to pull in the drive and see it there smiling back at me.

Her name is Mia BTW, my 6 year old named her and it has now stuck.

Also I tend to linger around forums...I like it here especially, stable, sound and quality people. :cheers:

The mere fact that nobody has complained about my incessant flooding of my love of the 1954 Buick and the brand in general is all the more reason to feel welcome.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
stealthbob said:
...so was I, just after I looked at the date :facepalm:

Just because I'm new to the E I think everyone else is.

I don't get to drive it much but boy is it ever nice to pull in the drive and see it there smiling back at me.

Her name is Mia BTW, my 6 year old named her and it has now stuck.

Also I tend to linger around forums...I like it here especially, stable, sound and quality people. :cheers:

The mere fact that nobody has complained about my incessant flooding of my love of the 1954 Buick and the brand in general is all the more reason to feel welcome.
You are too kind. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Well, actually, Bob, I was just about to complain about your incessant babble about the '54 Buick!!!

(Hee hee... :happy: :happy:)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:thumb: Loved it and you can just keep on telling us again and again how much you love your Buick's.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Congrats!! We too had never heard of the Enclave until 2011. On the short list was direct injection and xenon headlamps standard, so that narrowed the field down to basically German and the GMs. Was hoping the V6 Grand Cherokee would meet the above but the Pentastar did not. In retrospect, though much smaller, the X5 was within the radar due to steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep discounts by BMW, but since we plan on buy and drive forever, even with 8k off the X5 would be more expensive as far as true cost of ownership. We're really hoping that the GM proves to be much cheaper over the long run. According to edmunds it is much cheaper than a MDX to own (despite the Acura being 100% reliable). :thumb:

·
Registered
556 Posts
though much smaller, the X5 was within the radar due
(thread hijack warning!!)

Mentioning the X5..................
I had an opportunity to attend a BMW dealer sponsored activity last weekend. Drove and rode in several models around pylons and a wet skid pad. (skid pad was very boring with traction control on) Agressive driving and manuevering was encouraged but turning off the traction control was not allowed. :eek:hno: but owners could with their own cars. The burnouts and doughnuts made by these expensive vehicles was impressive! The X5 was indeed smaller than an E but had a very quiet trubo diesel that performed very well when floored - again encouraged - from a standing start for about 100yds before braking into a sharp right turn. Didn't seem top heavy at all but you could feel the traction control working around the cones. The staff mentioned having owners getting 40+ mpg with conservative driving on the interstates at 75 mph. They all mentioned that 75 is the sweet spot for that engine and as far as the 40+mpg it sounded too good to be true to me. The X5 definitely handled better an Enclave when driven hard in the corners, but being smaller and looking narrower with wider tires and firmer suspension, it should. A very nice ride, but since I had to remove the 3rd row seats and storage lid from my E, I know the X5 would be way too small for me.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
From all reports that I've seen, the reliability of the X5s has been pretty abysmal. I'd choose the Enclave over the pay-for-the-name X5, thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts