EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may be aware that my family moved last Fall from our townhouse to a single family house. Though I wasn't looking for a property with a pool, the house we purchased has an in ground swimming pool. The previous owner performed all of the maintenance on the pool, so there is no pool service history on the pool, though a pool inspection prior to closing indicated that it was in very good condition. Neither my wife nor I have had a pool before, so we figured we'd learn as we go.

A few days ago, we hired a pool service company to open our pool. In preparation for the service, I added water to the indicated level. When I moved the pool cover aside, I noticed that the water wasn't green (good--no algae), but that it was cloudy (bad--lots of possible causes). The service was preformed while we were at work, so we were not home to learn and ask questions. Regardless, after adding the Baquacil products as indicated over the first couple of days, the pool hasn't cleared. The cloudiness is dense enough to obscure the view of the pool floor except on the shallow end. I do see some dead earthworms on the floor of the shallow end, and some leaves.

I'm planning to attempt to vacuum the pool (watched lots of videos online) to clean the floor. But, i cant see most of the floor to be sure that I'm catching everything. I'm hoping that this will resolve the cloudiness.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Since we have no pool I am going out on a limb here.

I would contact the service you hired and ask for an explanation.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife did that today. The water chemistry was pretty good, so they sold us flocculent to clump the suspended debris, which should settle to the pool floor in a day or two. Then, the pool needs to be carefully vacuumed.

Assuming good water chemistry, I expected that flocculent would be recommended (I did lots of internet research that past couple of days), but I've read numerous blogs about continued problems even after this has been tried. I'm crossing my fingers that this works so that we can experience enjoyment rather than frustration from our pool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wife did that today. The water chemistry was pretty good, so they sold us flocculent to clump the suspended debris, which should settle to the pool floor in a day or two. Then, the pool needs to be carefully vacuumed.

Assuming good water chemistry, I expected that flocculent would be recommended (I did lots of internet research that past couple of days), but I've read numerous blogs about continued problems even after this has been tried. I'm crossing my fingers that this works so that we can experience enjoyment rather than frustration from our pool.
You are on the right track. You also need to run the pump for at least 8 hours then turn it off let every thing settle, back wash the filter then vacuum the **** out of it. it will clear it will just take time and some work.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. It turned out that the flocculent didn't help because the cause of the persistent cloudiness was white water mold. We treated the pool and the water became crystal clear within a few days. We've been enjoying our pool ever since!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I remember being flocculent once. I drove darn near EVERYONE out of Walmart. That's what I got for eating 2 huge burritos and downing a 1/2 gallon of milk (I'm lactose intolerant). I never knew flocculence would help a pool.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! It seems like yesterday that I opened the pool. My family and I enjoyed it from May through September. It has already been closed for over two weeks. We miss it, and are already looking forward to next pool season.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're using the new Baquacil CDX system, which is supposed to be easier to use and more effective than the original system. My son is very sensitive to pool chlorine, and the previous owner of the house used Baquacil successfully for many years, so we're sticking with it. It is a bit pricy, but worked perfectly once we solved the white water mold problem at the start of last season (our first season at the house and novice season with a pool). I may feel differently if we encounter issues going forward. Let's see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing