EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a trailer package installed aftermarket under my Dealer's "supervision" (they don't install hitches). I did this because I got a very good deal on an '08 but it lacked the trailer package and I need it.

Its 5000 lbs rated (vehicle can only tow 4,500 so ok) and they installed a tranny cooler. Is this all there is to the factory trailer package you think (tranny cooler, hitch and wiring) ? ie. there are no additional suspension or other component upgrades to the factory trailer package beyond these differences.

Also I read somewhere that a transmission cooler can be a not-so-good feature in that it may make the transmission run too cool (don't know if this makes sense). Any opinions ? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great question. I am in the same situation. I think all that you mentioned is included in the towing package but I am in need of that same package. How much did you pay for it aftermarket? I have a boat and a utility trailer that I need to pull occasionally.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I negotiated the install into the package I paid with the dealer but I think the add-on (hitch chassis, wiring harness and tranny cooler were around $300-$400 Canadian) Could be more with the tranny cooler (without it, only about $200). The only other part I'm not sure about is if you need an upgrade to your electronic control bus... there are some other posts on here (I think this page) about trailer wiring that will give you some info and links. But make sure you get the transmission cooler if you're towing >2,000lbs.

The Dealer told me that these add-ons were equivalent to the factory package. Hoping this is true !

·
Registered
34 Posts
The factory package also has a switch on the console that changes the transmission shifting pattern to accommodate the trailer load and turn off the rear back-up sensor so that the trailer doesn't set them off.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am not sure of this but I believe that the "Trailering Package" from the factory also includes a larger more 'robust' radiator. I am not sure how to truly confirm this as I am sure the dealer wouldnt know.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Factory packages sometimes include a larger alternator and battery and wiring to hook up a trailer brake package.

Regarding the tranny cooler statement - it's true. Too cool can be not so good also. It shouldn't be much of an issue if a properly sized unit was used. I put a Tru-Cool unit on my Avalanche because it has a bypass valve that doesn't let the fluid flow through the cooler until it's warm. The B&M Supercoolers do the same thing. They are also stacked-plate design and much stronger than the typical "finned" coolers.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The trailer package also includes a pigtail to connect a trailer brake controller under the dash. I don't know if the standard wire harness includes the wiring for this or not. Dealer should be able to tell you. If the wiring is in place you should be able to get the pigtail from the dealer and be good to go. If not, you will need to run additional wiring from hitch to dash.

Also, just noticed a post by aukje20 in thread 'tow hitch' that talks about different fuse boxes. Check it out. It might save you some headaches later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
jrshall
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing