EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my car for two weeks.

All of a sudden today the instrument panel went crazy :(

So gauges are not working at all, some are showing crazy numbers (the needles are off the ranges). Also seatbelt light for passenger was on even though the belt was fastened.

Restarting the car fixed the seatbelt light issue, all needles of the gauges moved somewhere else, but still are out of wack. Onboard info seems to be fine - mpg, ave speed, range, etc.

Called OnStar, they could not find anything wrong.

Anything I can do short of taking the car tomorrow to a dealer?

Thank you...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have no experience with this on my Enclave but it has happened on two of my older cars with digital instruments. What I do is disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect. It seems to re-set the computer driving the guages. You should ask your service rep before trying this on the Enclave. Also, disconnecting the battery will probably cause any "memory" settings you have programmed in to be lost.
Good luck

·
Registered
333 Posts
Clavedweller(love the name)... I agree, I fly one of the world's most advanced civilian aircraft and every once in awhile if the 63 computers don't boot up correctly during initial start-up we power the whole thing down and Start over.
Also good advice to call service before attempting it!

Good luck Chumster, keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I was a little worried seeing that 91 people looked at my message and there were no replies for awhile. :eek:

Just dropped it off at a dealership. They made me leave it for the hwole day...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
chumster said:
Thank you for your replies. I was a little worried seeing that 91 people looked at my message and there were no replies for awhile. :eek:
I think typically you will find that if noone responds that means that we have never experienced the issue and don't have a clue on what advice to give. I have stopped giving the "I have no idea" responses but maybe I should continue so people know that they are not being ignored.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zman said:
I think typically you will find that if noone responds that means that we have never experienced the issue and don't have a clue on what advice to give. I have stopped giving the "I have no idea" responses but maybe I should continue so people know that they are not being ignored.
Fair enough

·
Registered
31 Posts
After a month of ownership, experienced a situation where all the instrument gages would not register anything. All the DIC functions seamed to work. Made an appt with the dealer but the next morning, everything worked fine and haven't had any repeat problems.

(Johnt26, I'm a former Citabria owner and never had those problems.)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update.

The car set all day at dealer's. They claimed to look at it at the end of the day and stated that only one gauge is malfunctioning. But they asked to keep the car for another day for "more extensive testing".

At least it is sitting inside their shop..

·
Registered
333 Posts
johnb said:
After a month of ownership, experienced a situation where all the instrument gages would not register anything. All the DIC functions seamed to work. Made an appt with the dealer but the next morning, everything worked fine and haven't had any repeat problems.

(Johnt26, I'm a former Citabria owner and never had those problems.)
LOL, no that is an analog airplane!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it happened again today. After almost a year of ownership...

All needles are way off.

What is it - a yearly freakout??? :angryfire:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just a guess but it sounds like the electrical reference to ground is lost somewhere. A bad ground would cause all kinds of errors with the analog gauges.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, duce. The first time it happened, the car just for two days at the dealer's and everything returned to its normal state. They could not find anything wrong with the car.

This time I took photos, in case the dealer (a different one, fortunately) will not find anything ( my appt is next week).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good luck. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
189 Posts
chumster, has to be something with the computer or signal or IP.... I had problems with my cadillac gauges once before, they read the wrong MPH and temp - they always read slightly off, although they look like the old fashion gauges they receive digital signals so the computer feeds the data to these gauges, with mine they were able to re-flash the system to resolve the problem. I can see if reflash isn't the solution on your's they might have to replace the (IPC) instrument panel cluster, hopefully it's a simple fix - I always hate when they have to remove and install new pieces. I hate to keep bringing this up, but check the fuse panel under the dash on the passenger side, I have a 09, but found mine wasn't tight and loose and vibrations during driving caused it to disengage and I had several components stop working I brought the issue up to my dealer and asked them to order a new fuse panel to replace they said they couldn't tighten mine (the problem I had is where the main wire harness comes into the fuse panel - the wire harness was not making adequate connection to the fuse panel, to access you can take down the cover that shields the fan or through the glove box - before doing any of this, just try all your electrical items, locks front and back, windows, mirrors, seats.. if they work this may not be the issue).

Good luck and keep us informed of the solution.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wyoenclave, thank you very much for your post.

The dealer found some old bulletin dealing with the erratic gauge behaviour amd re-flashed the system. So far so good.
I wonder if I have to wait another 12 months to see if the problem was fixed.

I will check the fuse box though.

Just like you, I hate the idea of having new pieces installed and removed. But since the engine was dropped 5 or 6 times for the cam shaft problems, something little like replacing the IPC is not going to bother me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts