EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered something when I took the intake manifold off of the "Cherry-Ot" Saturday. There is a stem on the back left near the tuning valve that a very skinny long tube is connected to it. However, it appeared that mine has suffered being melted apart or something. Does anyone know where the other end is plugged into, or where it goes to? Now I am wondering what the heck the thing does if it is named : HOSE. Engine Mounting ???
It appears to me that it is part #1 on this diagram:
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=394733&ukey_make=1022&ukey_model=14439&modelYear=2008&searchString=vacuum

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Looking on the schematic of the parts you posted, it is hard to follow the tube once it joins the two others in the harness near the bottom of the engine. One end looks like it goes into some type of sensor which has a wire harness connected to it (items 5 and 6).

Another line looks like it plugs into the rear motor mount (follow line 7)?

I really don't know but perhaps you can find out what parts 5 and 6 are. Otherwise, maybe a call to a dealer?

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Perhaps to control the bi-static engine mounts? :shrug:

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GoldEnclave said:
Perhaps to control the bi-static engine mounts? :shrug:
The, what......?? Bi-Static engine mounts, did you just make that up? What is that ???

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
The Enclave's engine mounts function in two states. Florida and New York. ;D

Actually, the Enclave's engine mounts soften at idle to help isolate vibration into the cabin, then become stiff like ordinary mounts when the car is in motion. I'm not sure of the mechanism. Maybe they are vacuum controlled? ???

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GoldEnclave said:
The Enclave's engine mounts function in two states. Florida and New York. ;D

Actually, the Enclave's engine mounts soften at idle to help isolate vibration into the cabin, then become stiff like ordinary mounts when the car is in motion. I'm not sure of the mechanism. Maybe they are vacuum controlled? ???
That would make sense to me. Sort of like air ride inflation bags on Semi's. The more air being brought into the engine, then gets transferred to the engine mounts to blow them up, while the engine is running up. I guess I will be crawling back under it this week to locate the connector, and verifying. Then ordering a 25.00 hose to replace. :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
cfedor said:
That would make sense to me. Sort of like air ride inflation bags on Semi's. The more air being brought into the engine, then gets transferred to the engine mounts to blow them up, while the engine is running up. I guess I will be crawling back under it this week to locate the connector, and verifying. Then ordering a 25.00 hose to replace. :facepalm:
Remember, I'm just guessing about the vacuum involvement in the bi-static engine mount system. I'd recommend doing more research on this.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
says that part is discontinued.

Sounds like this was a 2008 thing...

Its not shown on the 2009 Traverse or the 2007/08 Acadias.

Buick fine tunning?

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm certainly not going to buy THAT for $105.00!

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
im guessing it helped dampen vibrations even more-- depending on engine RPMs....????

Part of quiet Tuning?

as the Acadia- for that year does not have it.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
rbarrios said:
im guessing it helped dampen vibrations even more-- depending on engine RPMs....????

Part of quiet Tuning?

as the Acadia- for that year does not have it.
Is it part of the vacuum line?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
yeah- the pic in the ebay auction shows the trans mount- has a nipple for a hose to connect to it.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Thanks. It seems like the bi-static engine mount/transmission mount system in the Buick Enclave's Quiet Tuning system is vacuum controlled.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GoldEnclave said:
Thanks. It seems like the bi-static engine mount/transmission mount system in the Buick Enclave's Quiet Tuning system is vacuum controlled.
I believe that's correct.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doing some more poking around I discovered this about the 2002 Honda Accord: VERY INTERESTING
it's a vacuum actuated solenoid that enables vibration dampening dependent on the engines load/vacuum levels.
You're not picking up what I'm laying down.

Vacuum controlled hydro mounts are for the purpose of idle comfort with the car in gear and no load/acceleration(stopped in gear).
Once the car begins to accelerate, the computer will command the solenoid to operate which then changes the mount from a fluid/hydro mount to stiffen it up.
It is only used on AT cars and the function is purely for comfort with the car in gear and under no load.

If your car shakes now, with the engine on and transmission in Neutral, then there is a problem elsewhere. Either the engine has a very sloppey idle, you may not be able to fully isolate the engine, or you have a broken/damaged mount.

On Accords the Left(engine) mount is a hydro mount, the right(trans) mount is a rubber mount, front mount(called a 'stopper', a limiter not a 'mount' per-se) is a damper, and the rear mount(depending on application) is either solid rubber(MT) or a rubber/hydromount combination(AT).
Rear hydro mount is fairly large as well, not the small insert that the Civic/Integras have.

You want that line vac hose connected.. I couldn't get the correct mount for my car for a year or so and without the vaccum mount (same design, just no vac) the idle vibration was ridiculous.. To the point where you half expected the dash to fall apart.. Once you touched the gas the idle vibration went away

The automatic transmission mounts are vacuum-actuate hydraulic mounts. The motor mounts are filled with a fluid. There is a valve that controls this fluid actuated by engine vacuum. It opens and closes to adjust the stiffness of the mount when idleing for a smoother idle.

Purpose of the hydro mount is to allow the engine to 'float' while in gear and not loaded, ie at a stop while in gear(automatic). This reduces/removes the engine vibrations induced through the mounts. When the car begins to accelerate the mount is 'solidified' to transfer power. They are for comfort, not to offset a lopey idle.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking at this diagram, it appears that the possibility exists that the line from the intake manifold may have come in contact with one of the pulleys on the back bottom of the serpentine belt path, rubbed on the pulley and melted. :facepalm:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts