EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Enclave Leather with Service Battery Charging System message intermittently shows up in DIC as it comes and goes with few occasions Battery Saver Activated message sometimes showing up.

These seem to be randomly showing up and then randomly disappearing -- not finding a pattern. When monitoring the battery voltage gauge in dash while driving, when it happens the voltage dips below the 13 mid point and then the Service Battery Charging System message shows up....then "something" kicks in to send the battery voltage above 13 and the message disappears. The time the message is on can vary before the kick in and if lengthy, the Battery Saver Activated message shows up. Sometimes either message is still on when turning off the vehicle at destination and when turning the vehicle back on immediately, no messages and battery voltage is 13+ (which may be a sign not mechanical???).

2.5 yrs ago Service Battery Charging System message initially showed up and went away. Took to dealer who checked it out and said everything was fine. 2 weeks after, the vehicle shutdown while driving on 50 mph road. Dealership said new battery and new alternator and $1200 later back up and running. However, the message has started appearing the last several months what appears to be randomly.

Need help to see if others have experienced this behavior and what was needed to fix. Would this randomness be the alternator again or something like the ECM not controlling when alternator should be kicking in or a belt?

Wife is now numb to the messages since they come and go and says dropping another $1200 for battery/alternator is unacceptable. She also was not happy and still is not happy being sent on the road by the dealership there was nothing wrong and then the vehicle shut down while she was driving it. She has lost trust in local dealership so doing some crowdsourcing here for info.

TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd start by having the battery tested. If it's bad at 2 years it should still have some pro-rated warranty left.
2012 Enclave Leather with Service Battery Charging System message intermittently shows up in DIC as it comes and goes with few occasions Battery Saver Activated message sometimes showing up.

These seem to be randomly showing up and then randomly disappearing -- not finding a pattern. When monitoring the battery voltage gauge in dash while driving, when it happens the voltage dips below the 13 mid point and then the Service Battery Charging System message shows up....then "something" kicks in to send the battery voltage above 13 and the message disappears. The time the message is on can vary before the kick in and if lengthy, the Battery Saver Activated message shows up. Sometimes either message is still on when turning off the vehicle at destination and when turning the vehicle back on immediately, no messages and battery voltage is 13+ (which may be a sign not mechanical???).

2.5 yrs ago Service Battery Charging System message initially showed up and went away. Took to dealer who checked it out and said everything was fine. 2 weeks after, the vehicle shutdown while driving on 50 mph road. Dealership said new battery and new alternator and $1200 later back up and running. However, the message has started appearing the last several months what appears to be randomly.

Need help to see if others have experienced this behavior and what was needed to fix. Would this randomness be the alternator again or something like the ECM not controlling when alternator should be kicking in or a belt?

Wife is now numb to the messages since they come and go and says dropping another $1200 for battery/alternator is unacceptable. She also was not happy and still is not happy being sent on the road by the dealership there was nothing wrong and then the vehicle shut down while she was driving it. She has lost trust in local dealership so doing some crowdsourcing here for info.

TIA
I’m having the same problem! 3 alternators abs batteries later I’m still struggling! Associated with buying used car and having bad luck but maybe not!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same problem! 3 alternators abs batteries later I’m still struggling! Associated with buying used car and having bad luck but maybe not!
I am having the same problem! I have had 3 alternators and 1 battery within 1 year.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Check voltages at the battery terminal and the engine compartment. Some members have been having issues and the connections at the battery were not up to spec. There is some corrosion between connections thus reducing the voltage at the fusebox. Make sure all your connections are good and the voltage is the same from battery fuse box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts