EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I have not seen it. Now that I have an Enclave :cheers: :clap2: I am wondering if anyone has found a nice way to mount their Ipod. What I believe I have seen is a plug in to the auxillary power on the front dash with a flex-type connection that would then go to the Ipod holder and is adjustable to any angle and can charge the Ipod while plugged in. I could then run the other wire from the Ipod to the Aux. input. I have the FM transmitter type now, but it just lays around and I can't charge it. Does anyone have one of these or know where I can find one? Thanks ahead of time for the info. I hope I did a good enough job of describing this so you know what I meant. :love: my Enclave (at least for the first 22 hours that I have had it)

·
Registered
360 Posts
The one I have is by Kensington. It does not hold the iPod, but plugs into the 12v and has a cord to the iPod which can be put anywhere. It broadcasts FM and charges the iPod too. There are others out there that hold the iPod and pug directly into the 12v. Do a google search to find these. Amazon.com has a million of these too. Amazon has the benefit of reviews by owners to get an idea of how they work. Just be aware of their configuration to make sure that they will "fit" in the space alloted. Hope this helps :thumb: BTW, congrats on the new ride. I've had mine for less than a month, but very happy so far!

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
rcrules said:
The beauty of this one is you do not have to plug a cable in the top of the iPod to the Aux port on the head unit.
Better read the product description again. You still have to get the audio output to the head unit, either through an FM transmitter, or a 3.5mm plug into the head unit. The above product only holds the iPod and charges it.
I believe I have seen some that hold, charge, and are an FM transmitter as well. I just can't say where I saw them. Sorry.

·
Registered
108 Posts
GM is coming out with a "Personal Audio Link" or "PAL" for most vehicles by the end of the year (according to a media release in July). This will not only charge your iPod, but it will allow you to access menus and controls through your stereo's controls. All without having to have any clunky docking stations or cords laying around. I'm personally just going to wait for this to be available for the Enclave.

Here's the story from July:
http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...s/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=49&docid=38060

Or here's one from 2006:
http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...wmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=3&docid=27771

·
Registered
55 Posts
xrayman said:
You still have to get the audio output to the head unit, either through an FM transmitter, or a 3.5mm plug into the head unit.
Yes, you would have to plug the bottom of the dock into the head unit. I wasn't exactly clear there was I. I just meant you didn't have to plug it in the top.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xrayman said:
Here's an example of what I was talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-4031-...JR8/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i/102-5177202-7718501

I think I will wait to see what the GM PAL unit is like as well. The above will get one thru the wait for less than $40 however! :thumb:
Thank you everyone for your quick replys. I have heard that connecting directly to the aux unit results in better sound than the FM transmittor units. I have one on those which doesn't charge the Ipod and it works OK, but the sound is dependent on where I put it etc. Thanks alot, I think the unit that rcrules linked me to is exactly what I was looking for and is $50.00 plus the cost of the 3.5 cable which I think is cheap. This will work until the PAL is available. One of the salesman I talked to said they were going to have an Ipod plug-in installed in the dash compartment by the clock, I bet that is what he was talking about. That might work well as long as the heat wasn't too much for the Ipod in there. What do you think?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the Kensinton FM transmitter and the 3.5mm cable. I have tried them side by side and have not been able to tell much, if any, difference. Here in "God's Country" the FM dial is pretty open so I can find a 'clean' channel.

BTW, don't pay the $10-15 for the 3.5mm cable sold by some of the mobile audio companies. I found mine at Target, made by GE, for $4. :thumb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a Belkin charger that connects to the bottom of my iPod. It has a stereo mini plug attached to it that gets its audio signal from the connections at the bottom of the iPod. The quality and strength of the signal is better from this connection than if you were to connect a stereo mini cable to the headphone out on the top of your iPod. I tried them both! Just an FYI! (does that make sense?)

In all of my experiences, plugging directly into an iPod is better than an FM transmitter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts