EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been skimming around various posts and seeing that people's Nav screens are locked during driving. When I'm driving, however, I am able to enter destinations, browse XM categories, and do virtually everything except for watch a DVD in the front. Am I the only one? Very curious.

·
Registered
758 Posts
humercedes said:
I have been skimming around various posts and seeing that people's Nav screens are locked during driving. When I'm driving, however, I am able to enter destinations, browse XM categories, and do virtually everything except for watch a DVD in the front. Am I the only one? Very curious.
Yes, I can do all that while driving. I believe what I can't do is enter a new address for a destination.

TM

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
humercedes said:
I don't know how you can browse as no one else can...If you push the category on the XM you should go to a new screen which displays category info, but you will see that the scroll bars are locked...Also when you push the destination button you will see only certain items highlighted such as address book and previous destinations, but you do not have access to all items, nor can you scan down on the previous addresses, you will have access to only the first page...If not you are very lucky and have a one of a kind system

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked to be sure. And surely enough, nothing is locked out. I can even enter a new address on the fly while driving. How bizarre is this. I guess I should feel special as I got a "one of a kind." Pretty cool. I can tell you I defiantly did not hack it as I would have no idea how to. I remember my G locked out all of the scroll menus, and when I would try to find a point of interest, it was horrifically annoying. This is so great!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Well I don't understand this at all. It should be impossible for you to do this as NONE of the rest of us can. You have a defective unit that actually works the way we all want....This deserves more attention. I am going to try to draw more attention to this thread to get others to input ideas as it does not seem to be drawing enough interest...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, I just spent $250 to get all that to work plus I'll spend next Tuesday installing it. :eyebrow:

I think I'll do a little midnight auto over at the Humercedes house. ;D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
humercedes said:
I just checked to be sure. And surely enough, nothing is locked out. I can even enter a new address on the fly while driving. How bizarre is this. I guess I should feel special as I got a "one of a kind." Pretty cool. I can tell you I defiantly did not hack it as I would have no idea how to. I remember my G locked out all of the scroll menus, and when I would try to find a point of interest, it was horrifically annoying. This is so great!
I'm sooo jealous! Just to be clear, you can enter a brand new destination address (a never before used one) while moving more than 10 MPH?? What is your build date?? (see label on lower,outer end of drivers door. Move rubber weather seal slightly to see date!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My build date was less than 3 weeks ago. I can only recall previously entered destinations or use the address book. I cannot enter a new address from scratch. Nobody should be able to. GM locked this out because it's a huge liability to have people entering an address one letter/number at a time while driving drown the road. I can still drag to any point on the map and mark a destination though...which kind of defeats the purpose of having NAV but oh well...

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
If humercedes is correct in her statements, does this not show that the lock out feature has to be some form of programming rather than a hardware issue...ie. this is something that could be changed with a software fix rather than the hardware fixes like the Lockpick options...

I think back on the poll started by Coop on how many of us would like the Nav unlocked to be used while in motion...I don't think we could get corporate GM to change it, but if she is correct, the change seems to be related to reprogramming over the installation of additional modules. If this is the case, would there not be software/programming people that could change it?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
bsox said:
If humercedes is correct in her statements, does this not show that the lock out feature has to be some form of programming rather than a hardware issue...ie. this is something that could be changed with a software fix rather than the hardware fixes like the Lockpick options...

I think back on the poll started by Coop on how many of us would like the Nav unlocked to be used while in motion...I don't think we could get corporate GM to change it, but if she is correct, the change seems to be related to reprogramming over the installation of additional modules. If this is the case, would there not be software/programming people that could change it?
Hmmm, I like this thought. Any "hackers" out there care to give this a shot? Not sure how it could be accomplished, but maybe through a "OBD" diagnostic interface that would upload the required re-programming to the NAV/audio unit. Guess any of this would be "black market" and probably even borderline legal. >:D But I would buy it if it was reasonably priced and proven to not screw something up.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
marcmedic said:
My build date was less than 3 weeks ago. I can only recall previously entered destinations or use the address book. I cannot enter a new address from scratch. Nobody should be able to. GM locked this out because it's a huge liability to have people entering an address one letter/number at a time while driving drown the road. I can still drag to any point on the map and mark a destination though...which kind of defeats the purpose of having NAV but oh well...
My point is not to do this MYSELF while driving, but have the passenger be able to without me having to pull over and stop. :banghead:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts