EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know thermal shock will crack if you expose hot glass to extreme cold, but what about if my windshield is iced over and i heat the washer fluid, will that shock crack the glass. this is a silly question, im just not sure of the answer. thanks for help.

·
Registered
509 Posts
No, it won't. There's always SOME kind of weird possibility, but GM and the actual suppliers tested, tested, and tested again functions like this under every kind of condition and temperature to make sure it won't happen. The glass can be very, very cold, but the warm fluid hitting it is a minuscule amount in reality, and as spread by the wipers, etc., it just isn't as widepsread of a thermal shock as one might expect.

Not to say it COULDN'T happen, in one weird circumstance of a weird circumstance, but it's one of those things that's been around so long--mainly aftermarket--and then GM made it OEM and publicized, that it wouldn't be as such if there was much of a possibility.

One possible thing, however, with age is the introduction of tiny chips and such in the glass...that theoretically could promote such an issue, with the temperature differences. That is worth considering.

It is a question others have brought up, though, so good topic...especially for others who've never had such a feature and now are wondering, with it finally getting cold.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think the combination of spraying the stream in cold air (which cools it) and hitting only a small area of the windshield at any one time probably prevents this possibility. I'm sure they set the heater temperature such that this won't happen (given the above two factors).

Tossing a bucket of steaming hot water on your icy windshield, however, is not advised.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You live in Virginia Beach and your worried about your windshield cracking in the cold?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right now its 60, but in january we can get preety cold, january is the only month where there is a slight chance of getting snow, but the day time highs are in the lower 30s and nights are in the 20's other wise the other 11 months are 60-70.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm in Northern MN and I'm not worried about it. It was 15 when I got out of bed this morning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the reason i ask is i know the windshield is expensive because of the quiet tuneing and i have tried the bucket of hot water on windows before, and some times it worked great and other times i was handing 500 over to the glass company.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
right now its 60, but in january we can get preety cold, january is the only month where there is a slight chance of getting snow, but the day time highs are in the lower 30s and nights are in the 20's other wise the other 11 months are 60-70.
Hmm, apparently Thunder's definition of pretty cold varies from mine, as 20F in january would be pretty warm
in my books. We always seem to get one or two cold snaps in january where the overnight lows are right around
-35C (-31F), give or take a few degrees. :sosad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey when last week was 80 this weeks 60 is darn cold. and acully 20 was one year, i think the last time i saw snow fall in va beach was 2 years ago. and we got a whopping 3 inches that lasted 8 hours, but i still got 3 days off of school, it rocked. last year the coldest it got was 35.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Still, as I said and osli repeated, the small amount of heated fluid--and really, the limited temperature it is at--hitting a freezing windshield really is not enough of anything to cause concern.

It simply doesn't instantly blanket the windshield all at once with hot dose, which did cause an issue before as you found.

Another factor to consider, at initial start-up in the cold, the washer fluid isn't going to be instantly hot and usable--there's that delay built in--a delay in which general movement around the vehicle and the defroster starting to heat and blow, etc. already starts to change temperatures.

Really, just not a concern.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats for the answer, i saw some ware it heats up to 180 degrees and i have never used and i guess never paid attention to the fact that it sprays from the hood and its not on the wiper arm like my yukon.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Unless you guys already had snow this week, none of you should be complaining!

But, I think a while back, when Canadian Tire sold an aftermarket windshield fluid heater, there was a recall because it was cracking people's windshields. It wasn't like the Enclave or Acadia's where only the nozzle is heated and you need a special cycle to activate it. It was tied into the line and heated the fluid up all the time with a block under the hood.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This past Tuesday morning when I left for work at 5:30 A.M. the temperature was 27 degrees F and we had about 2 inches of snow that turned into 4-6 inches by the end of the day. I remote started the Enclave and the heater came on, and when I got in I selected the defrosters front and rear. The outside mirrors almost instantly melted clean, and rather than get the snow brush out of the back seat to clean the windshield I fired up the heated washers. When they finally sprayed the windshield and the wipers started everything came clean with a few swipes. We average over 100 inches of snow here a year, so I think I'm really going to like the way my Enclave behaves in this weather. ;D

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'd say one sign its not a concern is the manual. It says not to spray your windshield until it has warmed up. Not because they are concerned the windshield will crack -- rather its out of concern the fluid will freeze and block your view..

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wouldn't think that some warm fluid would crack a cold windshield. Glass expands and contracts with the temperature, and windshield glass is tempered, not like the kind of glass that cracks with Ella Fitzgerald singing on a Memorex tape. What the **** anyway, most auto policies have complete glass replacement coverage, so if the sucker cracks you call GEICO and they send someone over to replace it. Don't waste any time worrying about this one. You're more likely to crack the windshield by accidentally kicking it while you're getting frisky (for more details, see the thread entitled "Sex In The Back Seat.")

Big Frisky Larry
[/color] :drunk:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
im watching the newz now and they just said Germany had a Big snow storm! tobad there isnt any here yet..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we will be lucky to see it even sleet here much less accumulate snow. lol who gets it on in the front seat.

·
Registered
509 Posts
jacko said:
This past Tuesday morning when I left for work at 5:30 A.M. the temperature was 27 degrees F and we had about 2 inches of snow that turned into 4-6 inches by the end of the day. I remote started the Enclave and the heater came on, and when I got in I selected the defrosters front and rear. The outside mirrors almost instantly melted clean, and rather than get the snow brush out of the back seat to clean the windshield I fired up the heated washers. When they finally sprayed the windshield and the wipers started everything came clean with a few swipes. We average over 100 inches of snow here a year, so I think I'm really going to like the way my Enclave behaves in this weather. ;D
Ah, yes. PERFECT for those western (and especially north-western) PA winters :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Can I just add, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Like they would release any product that could possibly leave them open to liability issues like this. Last I checked, windshield glass if very thick and tempered as well. The amount of heat hitting the window is equivalent to me trying to raise the level of Lake Superior by spitting off a bridge. I can't even scroll my XM radio when moving, I don't think there is a snow balls chance in H _ _ _ that they would put a system on their cars that could do this.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
linuxtwit said:
Hmm, apparently Thunder's definition of pretty cold varies from mine, as 20F in january would be pretty warm
in my books. We always seem to get one or two cold snaps in january where the overnight lows are right around
-35C (-31F), give or take a few degrees. :sosad:
Gotta ask! Where are you???? I don't recognize "AB" as a location?
Just curious ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts