EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This truck is special to me sentimentally. And to my brothers...
My Dad bought this 2005 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 brand new. He passed away 18 months ago and I've now got the truck. It's got 241k miles. Towing history was that Dad used this truck to haul firewood every summer, about 6 cords worth. Biggest loads would be about a half cord in the bed of the truck and his big tandem axle trailer with another cord and a half in it. The truck never had to sweat for him.
Now, I've just had the entire front suspension rebuilt with new steering gear box, tie rods, ball joints, front u-joints, and shocks all the way around. The transmission checks out solid and just came out of a warranty on the rebuild (rebuilt 3yrs ago but only 24k miles since).
My question is - how confident can I be about hooking up a RV trailer (either bumper pull or 5th wheel) and hitting the road for long periods of time - i.e. cross country road tripping? I don't own the trailer yet, so options on tow style and weight ranges are still open to discussion. My wife is eyeballing this big diesel and getting the itch to hit the road before our two kids get into high school.
Thoughts? Warnings or words of caution? Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
Leland, you are on a forum dedicated to Buick Enclave owners. Your question would be better answered on another forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Cummins is a very good engine. It has a lot of life in it, that being said, I’m more concerned about the rest of the truck. I am a long time Duramax owner so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
First thing I would do is change every fluid in the vehicle. Especially the differentials, radiator, and transfer case. Make sure to use the right fluids. Then I would go ahead and replace the driveshaft bearings and wheel bearings. You have already taken care of the suspension and the trans was rebuilt, so that shouldn’t be an issue. If you can do the work yourself, you are looking in the 200-300 range. If you pay to have it done, be ready for about 1000.00.
Other than that, you should be just fine. I wouldn’t get a huge RV, because the truck isn’t used to pulling a heavy load, but you can certainly work up to a big one with some time and maybe some tuning.
Have fun and be safe out there. You are now a diesel owner. You will soon be addicted to the upgrade bug, but it’s not too bad. I just hope you have a decent wallet and an understanding wife. 😜

1 - 5 of 5 Posts