EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Onstar. However, I have had trouble dialing out, using name tags (it always gets it wrong), and when I "dial" and give it the number and it repeats it back, it always gets at least one digit wrong until I have to enter one digit at a time after 3 incorrect tries. No matter how I pronounce the letters it doesn't get it right! Anyone else experiencing this or does my Onstar "operator" have a hearing problem!!!?? :eyebrow:

·
Registered
432 Posts

Halle's mom said:
I love Onstar. However, I have had trouble dialing out, using name tags (it always gets it wrong), and when I "dial" and give it the number and it repeats it back, it always gets at least one digit wrong until I have to enter one digit at a time after 3 incorrect tries. No matter how I pronounce the letters it doesn't get it right! Anyone else experiencing this or does my Onstar "operator" have a hearing problem!!!?? :eyebrow:
We have been OnStar users for 7 years, with the last 7 months in Enclave with the enhanced all-digital version. My opinion is that present version is more voice recognition friendly (likely because of quiet in E) and the whole number string in "dial" is better than the one number at a time with back talk after each one. Big time. We followed some advice about names for the "call" set to use that was simple: one word and doesn't sound like any other you will use. Being Navy trained, we decided to use the phonetic alphabet for the labels.

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Village/1367/military_alphabet_code.html

It takes a relaxed voice to get best recognition. Laughing is a way to relax the voice. Since loading the call set is best done in a parked vehicle, you can be relaxed. Clear enunciation (and my non-dialect voice) helped. It didn't like "Delta" because it ends too much like "Beta," but we did ok otherwise. In effect, we have code words for the call labels. In our case, Alpha is the house, Beta is our cell phone number, etc.

Bottom line, avoid using any word more than once for a label. Words like home, cell, and work confuse the recognition algorithm. Avoid those. If there are multiple drivers, have a group discussion of the words and the logic and get everyone aligned with the plan. Oh, we have a phone directory in the car with the table of "name = label" to break the codes! ;D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Halle's mom said:
I have the same problem with number recognition, not every time but it happened a few times.

I just assumed it was happening because I was born in a different country :-\

·
Registered
432 Posts

chumster said:
I have the same problem with number recognition, not every time but it happened a few times.
About numbers, try pronouncing this way from the link I put in the above post:

1: Wun
2: Too
3: Tree
4: Fower
5: Fife
6: Siks (one advisor told me to say "sex")
7: Seven
8: Ait
9: Niner
0: Zeero
:thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
chumster said:

I always thought New Jersey was a different country ;D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've been quite impressed by how well it does the number recognition. Several call, not a single missed digit.

I have noticed that many voice recognition systems do better with male voices than with female. Try talking deeper and let me know if that makes a difference, I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
We found that just a little above whisper volume works best. Go figure! No real problems.

Love Coffee's solution and codenames! Leave it to the finest military in the world :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahhh, thanks guys. Great idea about the code words instead of "home" "cell," etc. I did notice the digit 6 was the most difficult, it always thinks I say 8 for some reason, they don't even sound alike! I'll try "sex". :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have had trouble with the call tags. Result, I have one tag named cancel! Is there a way to delete call tags? :help:I like the idea of alpha, bravo charlie ------- . (Anohter navy man as well, lifer in field that did a lot of critical communicating via radio or sound powered phones. Could you tell by my pict?)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Halle's mom said:
I'll try "sex". :happy: :happy:
I'll try it too! We can let everyone know if it works okay! :angel:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Biting my tongue, biting my tongue...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think females are having a harder time which is ironic being the operator is female. I've been known to curse her a few times after repeating myself half a dozen times. ;D Someone gave the hint before to whisper and I have been doing that with success for the most part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Enclavious said:
I think females are having a harder time which is ironic being the operator is female.
I think you need to take a closer look at the gender icon a bit closer for Admin. :p

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rockyp said:
I'll try it too! We can let everyone know if it works okay! :angel:
Perhaps the Onstar operator is just a little kinky, no? ::)

·
Registered
358 Posts
kloogee said:
I think you need to take a closer look at the gender icon a bit closer for Admin. :p
I was referring to the last three times this subject was brought up. Each time a female made the initial post (including myself) and the consensus was the higher pitch in most woman cause a problem with the recognition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Enclavious said:
I was referring to the last three times this subject was brought up. Each time a female made the initial post (including myself) and the consensus was the higher pitch in most woman cause a problem with the recognition.
I must have been asleep at the wheel when I read your previous post. Sorry about that. :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts