EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My '08 Enclave turns on and then off in less than 1 second. Took it to a shop and the guy managed to keep it running by keeping his foot on the gas pedal all the way but it would still turn off when he released it. He tested it to get a code but he said he got many since it would turn off and he though it was the air flow computer according to what he saw. He replaced that part but nothing's changed.

He's now telling me it could be the timing chain that needs to be m properly put back in place but he doesn't have the special tool for that and he says it's almost certainly the engine has to be changed but I should scrap the car since it's worth less than the repair would cost at the dealership.

I searched a little and it could also be a lack of fuel pressure or a lack of spark but it doesn't seem like the mechanic checked that from what he's told me. What should I do? Should I take a chance at the dealership? Does it seem like this guy was thorough? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
873 Posts
He went from many codes, to air flow computer, to timing chain, to new engine? Looks like you need a new mechanic. The trouble codes are the best place to start. He failed in my opinion. You can bring it to a dealer and the mechanics are pretty good if they want to take the time to diagnose properly, most work on flat rate so they want more jobs in and out so they make more. You need a good mechanic who has the diagnostic equipment and skills to interpret the data. Where are you located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He went from many codes, to air flow computer, to timing chain, to new engine? Looks like you need a new mechanic. The trouble codes are the best place to start. He failed in my opinion. You can bring it to a dealer and the mechanics are pretty good if they want to take the time to diagnose properly, most work on flat rate so they want more jobs in and out so they make more. You need a good mechanic who has the diagnostic equipment and skills to interpret the data. Where are you located?
Montréal area. I took it to another mechanic today, my mother in law's and we trust him 100% so I'll see. It's a bit farther but we thought to get a second opinion before sending a vehicule in good shape to the yard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When that happened to my vehicle I later learned that it was my catalytic converter that was completely clogged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey electbc. My initial code was for the fuel pump. I spoke with you about that on my initial post a few years back when I was at my wits end chasing down dead ends. And mechanics and the dealership said that it was timing and or I needed a new engine. When all was said and done the dealership and the mechanics were liars. I replaced the timing and everything in the timing was In perfect condition and didnt need any replacing at all. There was no timing issue. I said i know what vehicles need and that is fuel spark and air. I dropped the cats and the vehicle ran flawlessly. It is running as I send this reply. My cats were clogged to the max. They never produced any code.. but that was what was wrong the whole time. Smh. I feel people should start there if they are having a no start issue if all else checks out to be fine and the car isnt running. Pull the cat and see if the car will run, it will save a lot of headaches chasing down stuff. Start with the cat cause it just takes unscrewing a few bolts to give the system some air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my mechanic solved the problem. He changed a few sensors. It saved my vehicule and a lot of money to either change the engine or buy a new one.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
can you find out what sensors...
for others reference

1 - 8 of 8 Posts