EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title of this thread is a quote from my service manager when I asked about some TSBs that he could not find. When he asked me where I got my information I told him about this forum and that was his reply. Nice...I told him this was a legit site and he said that most people on it probably are not even who they say they are.

Sad really. I did get my oil changed and tires rotated, non of the warranty stuff was addressed, i.e. fuel gauge, drivers wind noise, squeaky brake pedal (he did order new brake fluid from GM so it may be out there although he said he had no idea how long it would take to get it), flickering nav display panel, or tranny...he said when the brake fluid was in they would look at the other things, of course if the fuel sensor in the tank needs changing that will be another order and wait.

Not too pleased today with my car experience :mad:

·
Registered
35 Posts
PAPoPo said:
as opposed to a bunch of wannabes trying to be mechanics? .....so typical....
LOL.

Sounds like bsox needs to find a better dealership. I know I went through a couple and finally got lucky and found one I liked.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Why do you need to order brake fluid it is only DOT 3.

When I had my performance Audi it ran DOT 5 , all European cars now run DOT 4 - well in Europe anyway.

If you had needed some DOT 5 I have some in my workshop.

Give me his email address I will happily confirm my authenticity.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I had my first oil change this week. It was a pretty decent experience. I complained about the wind noise to the service manager and he didn't seem to have a problem with that. I mentioned this forum, and he was okay with that. They adjusted the door - he said it looke dlike i wasn't closing tight - we'll see...

I didn't mention the tranny thing - this time. I ran out of time.

All in all, I'm happy so far.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
asgard said:
Why do you need to order brake fluid it is only DOT 3.

When I had my performance Audi it ran DOT 5 , all European cars now run DOT 4 - well in Europe anyway.

If you had needed some DOT 5 I have some in my workshop.

Give me his email address I will happily confirm my authenticity.

[/quote

I assumed it was the "new" brake fluid that GM was working on to solve the squeak problem, he said it has silicon in it....I don't know, just telling what he told me. Rocky, glad you are OK, too bad I don't live by you...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey, if we are "just a bunch of guys chatting about our Enclaves", then pass me a freakin' beer!! :beer:

It's Friday for cryin' out loud!! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xrayman said:
Hey, if we are "just a bunch of guys chatting about our Enclaves", then pass me a freakin' beer!! :beer:

It's Friday for cryin' out loud!! :cheers:
Excellent idea :cheers: :beer: :drunk: :wine: :banana: :friday: :friday:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Our maybe a glass of wine for those who prefer :wine:

I however, must get back to work. My night of call. :whip:

You all enjoy! :thumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
THat comment from the service manager speaks volumes on both his attitude and true motivation. If he were interested in truly pursuing resolutions to the items you listed, a more appropriate answer may have been: "You know, that internet has both a good and bad side for this kind of info. But if you have some specifics on the TSBs it may save us both a lot of time in making sure we get you taken care of." ...Or anything more to the focus of getting your issues resolved vs being dismissed...and that's what happened, you were dismissed. Ridiculous in a service oriented side of the industry.

I guess you could always reply: "Yep, just a bunch of guys with nothing beter to do. You know, I got a link from them that goes straight to Buick Customer Service the other day. How do you spell your last name again?"

Pass me another... :cheers: :beer: :drunk:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not beer or wine but makes some interesting reading

Brake Fluids Thanks to Dave Zeckhausen : via the web - and also from Howstuff works.

Lets look at what the DOT ratings mean. The table below shows the MINIMUM wet and dry boiling points for DOT 2, 3, 4, and 5 brake fluid in degrees fahrenheit.

DOT 2 DOT 3 DOT 4 DOT 5
Dry Boiling point 374 401 446 500
Wet boiling point 284 311 356

The DOT 2 spec is for drum brakes and is obsolete. If you have any DOT 2 in your garage, throw it away! DOT 5 is for silicone brake fluid. Silicone brake fluid (DOT 5) should be avoided because it is not compatible with regular brake fluid, it is hard to pour without introducing bubbles and thus results in soft pedal feel, and moisture still gets into your system and will pool in low areas like your calipers and encourage rapid corrosion. STAY AWAY!

That leaves DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. These fluids are compatible with each other and may be interchanged or mixed with no ill effects.

The three main types of brake fluid now available are DOT3, DOT4 and DOT5. DOT3 and DOT4 are glycol-based fluids, and DOT5 is silicon-based. The main difference is that DOT3 and DOT4 absorb water, while DOT5 doesn't.

One of the important characteristics of brake fluid is its boiling point. Hydraulic systems rely on an incompressible fluid to transmit force. Liquids are generally incompressible while gases are compressible. If the brake fluid boils (becomes a gas), it will lose most of its ability to transmit force. This may partially or completely disable the brakes. To make matters worse, the only time you are likely to boil your brake fluid is during a period of prolonged braking, such a drive down a mountain -- certainly not the best time for brake failure!

As a DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid absorbs water, its boiling point decreases. It can absorb water from the air, which is why you should avoid opening your car's brake fluid reservoir. For the same reason, you should always keep containers of brake fluid tightly sealed.

DOT5 fluid does not absorb water. This means the boiling point will remain relatively stable, but it also means that any water that does get into your brake system will tend to form pure water pockets, which could cause brake corrosion.

Two other important things about brake fluid: DOT3 and DOT4 eat paint, so don't spill it on your car. Also, none of the different types of brake fluid should be mixed. They can react badly with each other and corrode your brake system.

The DOT 5 is the silicon one. You cannot mix it it is only able to be used on a fresh install - ie all new parts.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Bowzer said:
I guess you could always reply: "Yep, just a bunch of guys with nothing beter to do. You know, I got a link from them that goes straight to Buick Customer Service the other day. How do you spell your last name again?"
I DO like that one!! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bowzer said:
THat comment from the service manager speaks volumes on both his attitude and true motivation. If he were interested in truly pursuing resolutions to the items you listed, a more appropriate answer may have been: "You know, that internet has both a good and bad side for this kind of info. But if you have some specifics on the TSBs it may save us both a lot of time in making sure we get you taken care of." ...Or anything more to the focus of getting your issues resolved vs being dismissed...and that's what happened, you were dismissed. Ridiculous in a service oriented side of the industry.

Pass me another... :cheers: :beer: :drunk:
Wow, excellent response, I wish I would have had you with me. I think of myself as being able to handle myself and then I forget all the stuff I want to say when I am being "handled".

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Asgard, that is a lot of info for "just a bunch of guys talking about their enclaves" :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on my service experience:

I will be changing dealers. Why would you put someone in the position of being a service manager who has no people skills. They did not know how to do my reflash, told me there was none available, originally ordered the wrong wind deflector for my sunroof, rotated my tires and now I have a shimmy when breaking, did not address the drivers door wind noise, the fuel gauge issue, the flickering of my nav screen, etc.. When I had GM call him to tell him how to do the reflash I called and asked him if he got the call and was everything squared away he said " yeah they called, the guy gave me a bunch of numbers so we will see". Yeah, that gave me a lot of confidence. When he said they would give me a loaner car, I said I would need an SUV and he said they had none, that they had an old Lasabre that I could use.

I will be going elsewhere for service and to buy my new Riviera ;D

·
Registered
232 Posts
bsox said:
Update on my service experience:

I will be changing dealers. Why would you put someone in the position of being a service manager who has no people skills. They did not know how to do my reflash, told me there was none available, originally ordered the wrong wind deflector for my sunroof, rotated my tires and now I have a shimmy when breaking, did not address the drivers door wind noise, the fuel gauge issue, the flickering of my nav screen, etc.. When I had GM call him to tell him how to do the reflash I called and asked him if he got the call and was everything squared away he said " yeah they called, the guy gave me a bunch of numbers so we will see". Yeah, that gave me a lot of confidence. When he said they would give me a loaner car, I said I would need an SUV and he said they had none, that they had an old Lasabre that I could use.

I will be going elsewhere for service and to buy my new Riviera ;D
Don't forget to rip them if you get a survey request on your service experience from GM!

·
Registered
161 Posts
bsox said:
The title of this thread is a quote from my service manager when I asked about some TSBs that he could not find. When he asked me where I got my information I told him about this forum and that was his reply. Nice...I told him this was a legit site and he said that most people on it probably are not even who they say they are.

Sad really. I did get my oil changed and tires rotated, non of the warranty stuff was addressed, i.e. fuel gauge, drivers wind noise, squeaky brake pedal (he did order new brake fluid from GM so it may be out there although he said he had no idea how long it would take to get it), flickering nav display panel, or tranny...he said when the brake fluid was in they would look at the other things, of course if the fuel sensor in the tank needs changing that will be another order and wait.

Not that they would listen -- but I would find his boss -- and explain why you are planning to find a new service department.

m

·
Registered
644 Posts
bsox said:

I've been holding off disclosing this, but since bsox rekindled his orginial thread, I thought I should finally reveal who I really am, rather than the mild-mannered clinician from a non-metropolitan small town I have been portraying. Bsox, your dealer was right. Actually, I'm a fabulously wealthy, handsome and talented man-about-town who has nothing better to do than spend time on this site talking about Enclaves with a bunch of guys. I really have no need to research this car like those of you who are obviously part of "the wretched refuse" of our teeming shore. I have a zero handicap and both my cars and golf clubs are handmade. I have no concern about value for my dollar, since money is no object! I pity you pathetic souls who have to worry about such trifles. When my vehicles sqweak, rattle, or make any unseemly noise, I simply have my staff purchase a new one for me and deliver it to the club, the beach or any exotic locale where I grace the masses with my presence. When the tires show wear, the car is gone.

I'd like to disclose more, but I need to close and count my money. I hope these revelations don't discourage any of my forum friends, but bsox's dealer touched whatever measure of guilt I have remaining about hiding my true identity. There, I feel much better! ::) :eek:

BB

1 - 20 of 39 Posts