EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I ask, is that I mentioned to a friend that we will be getting an Enclave, and her other friend had a Rendezvous and she commented that she found it anything but luxurious, and 'are you sure you want to get a Buick?". I do have another friend with a Rendezvous who has had no trouble with it, but I've never been in it. Just wondering if the Enclave is the 'replacement' for the Rendezvous (even though I know they are two totally different vehicles)??? Was the Rendezvous the 'previous' Enclave??? Not that it matters.........it just sparked my curiosity having the conversation!

SM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
It was the Rendezvous that got my wife interested in Buick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I looked at and drove a 2007 new Rendezvous when I drove the Enclave, and there is no comparison. The Enclave is like Rolls Royce compared to the Rendezvous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
The Rendezvous and Enclave have nothing in common besides the "Buick" Brand. The comparison of the two is almost like comparing a Yugo to a Toyota. The Enclave is so luxurious it puts my old Lexus RX 330 to shame. Go Enclave:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
noneb4god said:
The Rendezvous and Enclave have nothing in common besides the "Buick" Brand. The comparison of the two is almost like comparing a Yugo to a Toyota. The Enclave is so luxurious it puts my old Lexus RX 330 to shame. Go Enclave:thumb:
Pretty much exactly. Theoretically, the Rendezvous was ONE of the vehicles replaced by the Enclave, as it is supposed to fill the role of it, the Terrazza van, and also the Rainier SUV.

They're both crossovers under the Buick nameplate...and that's where the similarities end. The Enclave is much larger, has a much more modern platform (the Rendezvous shares underpinnings and a lot of the front structure, windshield, etc. with the GM minivans from the '90s), is incredibly better looking, etc.

But truth be told, the Rendezvous was the first new "hot" Buick that actually started brining a lot of younger buyers back, and while it was far from an incredible vehicle, it did do well on that account, as a mish-mash product based on a lot of old parts. The Enclave is the all new stunner, that steps in to fill in one of the spaces it then left with truly sophisticated and modern crossover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
soccermommyabc said:
The reason I ask, is that I mentioned to a friend that we will be getting an Enclave, and her other friend had a Rendezvous and she commented that she found it anything but luxurious, and 'are you sure you want to get a Buick?". I do have another friend with a Rendezvous who has had no trouble with it, but I've never been in it. Just wondering if the Enclave is the 'replacement' for the Rendezvous (even though I know they are two totally different vehicles)??? Was the Rendezvous the 'previous' Enclave??? Not that it matters.........it just sparked my curiosity having the conversation!

SM
Caddycruiser summed it up! No comparo. Period. Bet 5-1 that you're friend who said......."sure you want to buy a Buick" has Importitis............an illness requiring antibiotics/lithium drugs, and if her import is a Toyota, Viagra!
Buy the Buick!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,853 Posts
I bought a Rendezvous new in '02. Had been driving imports (Outback, Acura sedans, Mazda RX-7) for years. Was very happy with the Rendezvous. Traded for an '04 MDX. Loved it. Now in an '08 Enclave. Love it, too. No prejudices here, just like nice rides!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
rockyp said:
I bought a Rendezvous new in '02. Had been driving imports (Outback, Acura sedans, Mazda RX-7) for years. Was very happy with the Rendezvous. Traded for an '04 MDX. Loved it. Now in an '08 Enclave. Love it, too. No prejudices here, just like nice rides!
Just about the same here except no MDX in between. The Rendezvous was the first SUV type we ever owned and we loved it. Zero problems with the exception of the HUD which was replaced the first week we owned it. It was trashed by reviews but Buick sold a ton of them. When we started looking for a new ride in July I tried to find a loaded 07 Rendezvous but there were none to be found. As for the Enclave my wife drives it 90+% of the time; if she doesn't like something about a vehicle I get an ear full. As they say "silence is golden".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
My Dad has leased a 2002 and 2005 Rendezvous -- both were CXL AWD units with very few problems. He has a 2008 Enclave CXL FWD (like ours except a different color and not loaded). Having spent a lot of seat time in his Rendezvous(s), and having spent plenty of seat time in the Enclave(s), here is my take --
Rendezvous had much more comfortable 2nd row buckets -- seats were longer and higher off the floor, and had adjustable headrests.
Enclave has much more comfortable 1st row and more comfortable and more roomy 3rd row.
Rendezvous had a much nicer 1st row console -- it was huge and gobbled tons of stuff in its many areas for storage (but it was column shifted).
Overall interior space is almost a draw -- the Rendezvous had about 108 cu ft with 2nd and 3rd rows folded, Enclave about 116 cu ft.
However, Enclave is about 202 in long and Rendezvous was about 187 in long
Rendezvous had better "packaging" -- more room in less overall length
Enclave beats just about anything from a style, lux and quiet standpoint -- Rendez was nice but not even in the same league
Rendez felt a lot more top-heavy, not nearly as balanced -- and unless you got the more powerful V6, the Enclave is hands-down way nicer.

Had my Dad been able to land a 2007 Rendez loaded, I'm fairly certain it would still have won him over -- having had 2 previous with no problems, he liked the size and utility. He's happy with his Enclave, don't get me wrong. But in my view (and his), there were a lot of things that were nice about the Rendezvous (specifically the interior room available in such a small package) -- anything else close was HUGE in comparison (Yukon or Tahoe size or larger in order to get the same amt of interior space -- and still not have all the easy convenience like fold-down 3rd row).

The sizes/spaces mentioned are from memory and may not be exact but they ARE pretty close to factory specs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
My brothers inlaws have a Rendezvous - they bought 2 actually - they liked them with little issues, however - its was not a 'luxury' vehicle like the Enclave - No one mistook a Vous with a Lexus RX350 or an MDX. It was good,reliable and prob a bit boring transportation.

Just my $0.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
goochman said:
My brothers inlaws have a Rendezvous - they bought 2 actually - they liked them with little issues, however - its was not a 'luxury' vehicle like the Enclave - No one mistook a Vous with a Lexus RX350 or an MDX. It was good,reliable and prob a bit boring transportation.

Just my $0.02
Pretty much, yes. For what it was, being based so heavily off the old and unrefined GM minivans, the changes made for it were incredible...as far as how much more solid, smooth, and quiet it felt with a nice interior.

But styling was one of the biggest issues, because outside it was always just awkward because of what it had to be based off of. Inside was much better and actually quite well done for GM at that time, but not to the level vehicles like the Enclave are at now. And then throw in the very low power and growly 3.4L engine it had for years (later updated and also had the 3.6L optional in a few top models), and the driving experience wasn't fantastic...quiet, smooth, and with a nice ride/handling balance it was, and no more.

My grandfather also has a Rendezvous, an '03 CX FWD 5-seater. He had actually really liked them for years, but just kept waiting and looking until he could find the "right one" (i.e. used, not many options, FWD, under $10k), when of all people his next door neighbor had one, was divorcing, and offered it to him for a great price. My first experience with them beyond that was an ex-boss in her 40's who always drove Buicks and had a Century at the time, and scoped me out to find her just the right new Rendezvous, also an '03. She still has it, I think, and loves it, and I got to drive it a few times and was almost shocked at how nice it drove and was put together for the unimpressive bones underneath--it was just sluggish.

So yeah...essentially, the current Enclave more than replaces the former Rendezvous which was the first new Buick in a long time to attract a lot of new and young sales, simultaneously also eliminating a minivan (which it now has the longer space of) and a truck based SUV. Really no comparison in terms of styling, refinement, features, etc., but much like any massive revamp in that regard.

If you have/had a Rendezvous, and aren't firm on a sticker under $30k and no third seat, etc. (how the Rendezvous did start out), the considerably larger Enclave is your next logical step.

ACTUALLY, on that note, there has been discussion and rumor for quite some time that a smaller Buick crossover is under discussion, to provided people who want a smaller, likely 5-seater package like the Rendezvous but trimmer still, and with the same sense of style & refinement of the Enclave. Haven't heard much of anything on this lately, but it could still be a nice spot to tap in the Buick market eventually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Chevy TERRAIN is coming out ('09/10 ?) Replaces Torrent/Equinox. Like the new Saturn View size. Maybe 15% smaller than Equinox? New Saturn View ('08, not previous '07 model) is pretty nice and based on a top selling GM Euro-SUV! Maybe a Buick version???

Has 3.6 liter around 250 Hp and about 800 lbs lighter than Enclave! See Terrain,Chevy for web site/details.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Chevy TERRAIN is coming out ('09/10 ?) Replaces Torrent/Equinox. Like the new Saturn View size. Maybe 15% smaller than Equinox? New Saturn View ('08, not previous '07 model) is pretty nice and based on a top selling GM Euro-SUV! Maybe a Buick version???

Has 3.6 liter around 250 Hp and about 800 lbs lighter than Enclave! See Terrain,Chevy for web site/details.
Not exactly, but that is old news. Just that there will be a new Equinox replacement before long, likely similar to the Vue, etc. As for the Buick, completely up in the air, and not much of anything has been done yet...it's much more important to get "Enclave grade" sedans out for Buick first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Ah, a subject on which I have some experience! I bought an '04 Rendezvous in late summer of '03. I loved that car! No problems! I got a very nice version that also had a 3-row seat, leather, and all the nice features! Certainly, it was not an Enclave, but did allow me to try the Buick brand again and get out of the minivan rut. The Rendezvous was smaller for sure, but was a nice vehicle. I think the Rainier was a little nicer, but not sure. I had a second row bench seat and it was so easy to fold up and out of the way. Don't know WHY Buick didn't copy and paste this feature to the Enclave! I really miss the ease of that operation. I think the Rendezvous was a nice vehicle that, at least, help keep the Buick line alive.[/color]

:cheers:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top