EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess I just joined the exclusive “Power Steering Failure” group. Unfortunately, my Enclave is out of warranty and I don’t have the $2k to take it to the dealership to have it evaluated and fixed. Fortunately I have a mechanically inclined husband who does most of our car repairs. While he is crawling under my car I thought I would search this forum to find some pointers on where to look….

Little history on my E…. we purchased a used 2009 CXL in February of last year. It had approximately 73k miles on it. Since I previously owned a 2005 Buick LaCrosse I wasn’t too worried about the mileage. My LaCrosse had 165k miles on it when I sold it and never gave me any problems. Since my purchase we had to replace the ignition coils and repair the seatbelt buckle on the second row seat. Apparently also common problems to the Enclave.

I’ve had an intermittent creak in the steering for a while. It sounded like something rubbing inside and but wasn’t consistent enough to be annoying.

On September 11, 2014 the power steering failed out of no-where while making a left hand turn into a parking lot. It was difficult to maneuver the car into the parking spot. After approximately 90 minutes of being parked power steering was working fine and I had no more issues. However, yesterday while driving on a major highway the Antilock Brake System warning light came on, the Stabilitrak Indicator Light came on, and the Service Stabilitrak Message displayed in DIC. Since we were on the highway we continued driving until we got to our destination and parked the car. Approximately 2 hours later we started the car and the warning lights were off. We then proceeded to drive home and less than ¼ mile down the road the power steering failed again as we were making a left hand turn. This time it’s not resolving itself. The E is not drivable….. :sosad:

I see that there may be a lot of fixes for this problem…. From replacing Power Steering Fluid to replacing Rack & Pinion…. Does anyone have any advice where to start? Did anyone have the same problem with the warning lights and Power Steering failure? I found TSB#PI-0097A. Does anyone have a copy of the fix for this particular TSB?

Thanks in advance for all your assistance

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Advice? Leave it to the professionals. No offense to your husband, but this is why the dealers get so much, they first have to diagnose it. You can't just throw parts at it....and now you say there is other warning lights coming on? I wouldn't know where to begin. For your safety, I would urge you to at least use one of your trusted local repair shops if your husband is at all unsure what is the cause for all this. Not knowing your husband's mechanical and vehicle electronic diagnosing training, it's hard for me to know what he's capable of fixing, but if he's just done things like oil changes, brakes, belts, and that sort of thing....this repair would be far beyond all that. Let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
ravenh6 said:
I’ve had an intermittent creak in the steering for a while. It sounded like something rubbing inside and but wasn’t consistent enough to be annoying.
The rubbing noise has a high probability of being related to a "dry" pinion seal in the steering rack. The pinion seal is part of the pinion seal housing, which is a separate (bolt-on) part to the steering rack (steering gear in GM lingo). The fix is to apply PI0029H, which replaces the pinion housing, and requires removing the old PS fluid and replacing the fluid with Dexron VI. Replacing the steering rack for this condition is not necessary, unless it is found to have an external leak (i.e., wet bellows). See below for the 1st page of the PI:

ravenh6 said:
On September 11, 2014 the power steering failed out of no-where while making a left hand turn into a parking lot. It was difficult to maneuver the car into the parking spot.
As for the hard steering, the flow control valve in the PS Pump has failed. In high pressure situations, i.e., low speed or parking lot maneuvers, the steering system requires high pressure from the pump to operate, but this worn valve will bleed off the pressure, and the result will be hard steering, especially when the fluid is hot (which is why waiting sometime allowed the steering effort to return temporarily).

GM has recently published a Special Coverage Service Notice per the following: Some 2008-2011 model year (MY) Buick Enclave, 2009-2011 MY Chevrolet Traverse, 2007-2011 MY GMC Acadia, and 2007-2010 MY Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles may develop a power steering pump wear condition that can cause an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced or loss of steering assist. The vehicle may revert to manual steering which requires greater driver effort, particularly at low vehicle speeds. This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Therefore, you should make an appointment with the dealer and get these two issues address. The Stabilitrak warning is probably not related to the steering problems, unless the issue is with the Variable Effort Steering, which is electronically controlled. Based on your description, the pump is the main culprit of the hard steering.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
the good news is-- you came on here-- and now you know theres a warranty extension on your PS pump.
that should take care of that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks XRDreamliner.... :thumb: calling the dealer now to make an appointment. Thank you so much for all the advice and correct guidance. As much as we tried to research, we didn't find anything about the extended warranty until you mentioned it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you but it's not a very "elite" group (meaning most owners have experienced it) -- bad news for us!! :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
the extended warranty was just released last week or so (last week of Sept).

I noticed it- on my Onstar Report.

Special Coverage Adjustment 14329

Some 2008-2011 model year (MY) Buick Enclave, 2009-2011 MY Chevrolet Traverse, 2007-2011 MY GMC Acadia, and 2007-2010 MY Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles may develop a power steering pump wear condition that can cause an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced or loss of steering assist. The vehicle may revert to manual steering which requires greater driver effort, particularly at low vehicle speeds. This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000
miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
ravenh6 said:
Thanks XRDreamliner.... :thumb: calling the dealer now to make an appointment. Thank you so much for all the advice and correct guidance. As much as we tried to research, we didn't find anything about the extended warranty until you mentioned it.
Please let us know how your dealership visit turns out, ravenh6. We're glad you were able to get some advice here on the forum! If you need any additional assistance working with the dealership just let us know. We're here to help.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just dropped the car off at the dealership. They said that they needed to order the part so my car won't be fixed until next Monday or Tuesday. They also noticed I still had two open recalls that they are going to take care of....

Unfortunately they are not able to give me a loaner while my car is in for repairs. I don't know if that's standard or if it's because I didn't purchase the car from this dealer. I hoped that since it's a known problem that is covered under a special extended warranty that GM would provide a replacement vehicle while the car is unusable. Now I have to figure out how to get back and forth to work and play taxi for the family.. ???

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.... This forum has been very helpful.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
ravenh6 said:
Just dropped the car off at the dealership. They said that they needed to order the part so my car won't be fixed until next Monday or Tuesday. They also noticed I still had two open recalls that they are going to take care of....

Unfortunately they are not able to give me a loaner while my car is in for repairs. I don't know if that's standard or if it's because I didn't purchase the car from this dealer. I hoped that since it's a known problem that is covered under a special extended warranty that GM would provide a replacement vehicle while the car is unusable. Now I have to figure out how to get back and forth to work and play taxi for the family.. ???

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.... This forum has been very helpful.
So glad to hear you took to the dealer. Awesome information about the extended warranty...I had not heard of that yet. Good news!

·
Registered
795 Posts
rbarrios said:
the extended warranty was just released last week or so (last week of Sept).

I noticed it- on my Onstar Report.

Special Coverage Adjustment 14329

Some 2008-2011 model year (MY) Buick Enclave, 2009-2011 MY Chevrolet Traverse, 2007-2011 MY GMC Acadia, and 2007-2010 MY Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles may develop a power steering pump wear condition that can cause an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced or loss of steering assist. The vehicle may revert to manual steering which requires greater driver effort, particularly at low vehicle speeds. This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000
miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
First, Kudos to GM for putting this Special Coverage Adjustment 14329 out, but I'm guessing that those people who have already paid for this expense out of pocket that would have been covered if this Special Coverage Adjustment 14329 had been in existence are not going to get their money back. Though with this Special Coverage Adjustment 14329 they would have grounds for litigation against GM. This is the old silent recall that many have criticized Toyota and Honda for. Now GM doing the same exact thing.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
gostate said:
First, Kudos to GM for putting this Special Coverage Adjustment 14329 out, but I'm guessing that those people who have already paid for this expense out of pocket that would have been covered if this Special Coverage Adjustment 14329 had been in existence are not going to get their money back. Though with this Special Coverage Adjustment 14329 they would have grounds for litigation against GM. This is the old silent recall that many have criticized Toyota and Honda for. Now GM doing the same exact thing.
I'm wondering if we can just go and have this changed out to be proactive of a failure, or if the steering needs to go out before they will honor this "silent recall"?

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
kidsenclave said:
I'm wondering if we can just go and have this changed out to be proactive of a failure, or if the steering needs to go out before they will honor this "silent recall"?
I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Agree with Golden unless you can hear the noise at slow speed turning or more importantly if a service writer or tech can hear it a dealership most likely won't touch it.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Sorry to hear this bad news. As I went thru it back in July, it is no joy. But I also agree with Gold, leave it to the professionals. Here is the tread I was posting all my rants and such on: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=3027.120#lastPost
Long story short:
1st quoted price $2,204.00
2nd quoted price $1,800.00
3rd quoted price $1,200.00
FINAL was ...... $392.22

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cfedor, it was your original post that got me scared.... :eek: I saw the prices you were quoted.

I knew my husband would be able to replace a power steering pump, it would just ruin his week-end.... then I started getting worried that this might not be the issue.

I realize I got very lucky with this new extended warranty.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
ravenh6 said:
cfedor, it was your original post that got me scared.... :eek: I saw the prices you were quoted.

I knew my husband would be able to replace a power steering pump, it would just ruin his week-end.... then I started getting worried that this might not be the issue.

I realize I got very lucky with this new extended warranty.
:thumb:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Buick Customer Service said:
Please let us know how your dealership visit turns out, ravenh6. We're glad you were able to get some advice here on the forum! If you need any additional assistance working with the dealership just let us know. We're here to help.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care
OK so how do customers who paid out of pocket already get reimbursed for the ps pump ?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
silvervettes said:
OK so how do customers who paid out of pocket already get reimbursed for the ps pump ?
Ditto ???

1 - 20 of 111 Posts