EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brought my 2009 Buick Enclave in when the CEL came on. Dealer determined it was a timing chain issue and replaced the timing chain under warranty. While in the shop the service technician discovered the transmission was leaking and wanted to replace the seals for about $1800. I had them replace the seals along with the timing chain. It took the dealership over two weeks to make those repairs. When I finally got the call to pick it up, I noticed a loud whining noise that was not there prior to bringing the vehicle in. I asked them to check it out and they determined there was air in the power steering lines and if the problem didn't go away by the following Monday I was to bring it in. I brought it in the following Monday (yesterday) and they said the power steering pump needed to be replaced (under warranty) but also, the power steering gear needed to be replaced because it was leaking. They want about $2300 to replace the PS gear. How does all of this occur immediately following the timing chain/ transmission repairs?

I did ask them specifically if the Enclave had any other problems (when they called about the tranny issue) and they claimed it had no other problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just took in my 2011 Enclave because of low-speed steering shudder and whining noise when turning wheel, and got hit with the dreaded $1700 bill for rack replacement. Per forum experience, dealer said not under warranty, and per forum advice, immediately got GM involved and we'll see what happens. Mentioned #14329; anything else you all recommend? Only 25K mileage when this showed up.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Fascinating ours failed at about 26 as well but we didn't take it in right away. Our AC failed around that time too. You are super low mileage to be out of warranty at 26k...

I'm curious if it fails again at 52 and 78. Our pump was not replaced, maybe it will be under GMPP.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
jkanderson7 said:
Just took in my 2011 Enclave because of low-speed steering shudder and whining noise when turning wheel, and got hit with the dreaded $1700 bill for rack replacement. Per forum experience, dealer said not under warranty, and per forum advice, immediately got GM involved and we'll see what happens. Mentioned #14329; anything else you all recommend? Only 25K mileage when this showed up.
:welcome: to the forum! jkanderson7!

IDK what #14329 is. But below is a copy of my letter dealing with the power steering pump. In my instance, they did the pump and the whole rack.

Sorry to hear this bad news. As I went thru it back in July 2014, it is no joy. But I also agree with Gold, leave it to the professionals. Here is the tread I was posting all my rants and such on: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=3027.120#lastPost

Long story short:
1st quoted price $2,204.00
2nd quoted price $1,800.00
3rd quoted price $1,200.00(agreed to this amount, when I went to p/u the clerk only charged me for my brake work I had them do $264.00)
FINAL power steering pump cost was ...... $392.22 (which also was eventually reimbursed via the info below and Detroit/Lansing and my dealer service manager talks)

Scroll thru this copied letter and call the Buick Division, ask them for a letter to be sent to you, so you can fill it out for reimbursement of the costs of your repairs to the power steering pump/rack. As far as the tranny goes I don't have issues like you are having BUT am having the Check Engine Light ON and getting codes such as P0422 Emissions(Gas cap loose), P0469 Emission control module failure, P0752 Solenoid A stuck ON, and P07?? something else transmission related.
September 2014
Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2008-2011 model year (MY) Buick Enclave, 2009-2011 MY Chevrolet Traverse, 2007-2011 MY GMC Acadia, or 2007-2010 MY Saturn OUTLOOK, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2008-2011 model year (MY) Buick Enclave, 2009-2011 MY Chevrolet Traverse, 2007-2011 MY GMC Acadia, and 2007-2010 MY Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles may develop a power steering pump wear condition that can cause an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced or loss of steering assist. The vehicle may revert to manual steering which requires greater driver effort, particularly at low vehicle speeds.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2008-2011 model year (MY) Buick Enclave, 2009-2011 MY Chevrolet Traverse, 2007-2011 MY GMC Acadia, or 2007-2010 MY Saturn OUTLOOK within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed reimbursement form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed reimbursement form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by September 30, 2015, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)
Buick
1-800-521-7300
1-800-832-8425
Chevrolet
1-800-222-1020
1-800-833-2438
GMC
1-800-462-8782
1-888-889-2438
Saturn
1-800-553-6000
1-800-833-6000

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, de certainly fixed what ailed us and our Enclave is once again the smooth, quiet powerhouse it should be. BTW, this is low mileage but out of warranty because it's a 2011 we're purchasing from my mother-in-law (little ol' lady from Pasadena, er, Tucson). As to reimbursement, still hoping to get some joy outta the dealer and/or Buick but not holding my breath - will let you know. Fab forum too - really appreciate your insight and reports (rants too) - much better consumer because of you guys!

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
jkanderson7 said:
Well, de certainly fixed what ailed us and our Enclave is once again the smooth, quiet powerhouse it should be. BTW, this is low mileage but out of warranty because it's a 2011 we're purchasing from my mother-in-law (little ol' lady from Pasadena, er, Tucson). As to reimbursement, still hoping to get some joy outta the dealer and/or Buick but not holding my breath - will let you know. Fab forum too - really appreciate your insight and reports (rants too) - much better consumer because of you guys!
We try.... sometimes, uh for the most part. I hope you get some assistance or reimbursement out of it.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
jkanderson7 said:
Thanks! It's always nice to read this kind of post. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, the dealer cannot do anything for me since the rack replacement isn't covered under the power steering warranty extension, only the power steering pump, which they didn't need to replace (yet). I called Kennisha at Buick CS and she said there may be something we can work out, and I'm awaiting her call back. Pretty amazing that I'd need a $1700 repair on a vehicle with less than 30K miles - am thinking that no way is that typical Buick quality, but then again, this is my first-ever Buick. And maybe my only Buick as well as a brand I'd warn others against, lol! Will let you all know what Kennisha can or cannot work out.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
jkanderson7 said:
Well, the dealer cannot do anything for me since the rack replacement isn't covered under the power steering warranty extension, only the power steering pump, which they didn't need to replace (yet). I called Kennisha at Buick CS and she said there may be something we can work out, and I'm awaiting her call back. Pretty amazing that I'd need a $1700 repair on a vehicle with less than 30K miles - am thinking that no way is that typical Buick quality, but then again, this is my first-ever Buick. And maybe my only Buick as well as a brand I'd warn others against, lol! Will let you all know what Kennisha can or cannot work out.
Have CS escalate that to your area Rep. They have got to be able to do something. They did for me. Or at least at the dealer level, then I submitted my reimbursement papwork for what I did pay and it all worked out. If nothing else, you should just fill out all the needed paperwork and mail it in to Buick Reimbursement Dept. and hope they clear it all up and send you a check....

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
JerseyDevil said:
warranty.

My 2010 is on its third rack and second pump, all replaced under warranty. Hopefully it is now fixed for good :blob:

scratching my head.... 3 racks-- and 2 pumps??? ???

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
john 070 said:
Pretty sure there are 2 pump 2 rack people here on the forum, wonder if there are >= 3 ???
First, a failed power steering pump was replaced. Next, a second power steering pump was replaced when the steering rack was replaced. So, my Enclave is a 2 pump/1 rack car. ;)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
First, a failed power steering pump was replaced. Next, a second power steering pump was replaced when the steering rack was replaced. So, my Enclave is a 2 pump/1 rack car. ;)
Nobody has openly admitted it, but if you are in the 5/5 club, Donald Trump awards you a medal as long as you're not friends with Megyn or Rosie

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dropped the Buick off at the dealer for 2 or 3 recalls while my wife is away on a business trip. Steering has been getting worse and I haven't found time to replace the pump. (I previously tried flushing the fluid and it was marginally better.) Dealership wants $916.98 to replace the pump; that's w/ me providing the pump. I've been fortunate to have the original pump and rack in the 09 w/ 210,000 miles, but I think it's time to rid myself to this one, maybe both Enclaves.

·
Registered
49 Posts
rbarrios said:
....210,000 miles.... impressive.
the 2013 is about to turn 100,000...it has been better than the 09 :knocks on wood:

in the years past, 50,000 miles/year was not uncommon, but we were trying to keep multiple vehicles and spread the mileage between them. maintenance vs payment/depreciate has been close, but that sense of reliablity is fading. my wife and I trust our older 2000 honda odyssey more than either enclave.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts