EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's my understanding that once power steering fluid is added to the system, you cannot convert to the Dexron VI ATF. Correct? What will happen if u purge the system with Derxon VI?

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
dzs3fz, I believe that you are correct. Somehow, the power steering fluid permanently affects the seal, so it seems that it is only a matter of time until it will make noise once it's contaminated with that fluid.

I think that the GM engineers thought at first that the issue was simply due to poor lubrication, but the main issue seems to be seal damage from power steering fluid. The early lubrication enhancing TSBs seemed only to slow the recurrence of damage, while the newer transmission fluid based TSBs seem finally to prevent recurrence.

·
Registered
957 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
dzs3fz, I believe that you are correct. Somehow, the power steering fluid permanently affects the seal, so it seems that it is only a matter of time until it will make noise once it's contaminated with that fluid.

I think that the GM engineers thought at first that the issue was simply due to poor lubrication, but the main issue seems to be seal damage from power steering fluid. The early lubrication enhancing TSBs seemed only to slow the recurrence of damage, while the newer transmission fluid based TSBs seem finally to prevent recurrence.
My steering rack was replaced 11/10... 121k mles ago and I have the original pump. Not sure why original owner had rack replaced but I'm using Valvoline Power Steering Fluid.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I hope that you are correct. But, is the extended coverage for a noisy rack, or only for a failing/failed steering pump?

BTW, my Enclave's rack was completely quiet this morning. The zipper noise occurred only once a couple of days ago during a parallel parking maneuver. :shrug:
Well, the rack has still been quiet. The car hasn't been parallel parked since the one time event, so I can't be sure that the noise wouldn't recur under that circumstance. I'm hopeful that the issue won't progress too quickly.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Another couple of weeks have gone by without the noise recurring. I'm beginning to wonder if the noise really was emanating from the steering rack, or if the noise was coming from my son's clothing? I don't recall what he was wearing at the time, but he does have a nylon jacket. Could it have been the sleeves rubbing and making the noise? I certainly hope so. ???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined the elite "Power Steering Failure" g

I had a power steering line made up and I had intended for it to run down between the alternator and main pulley, then across the bottom of the sump. Unfortunately I have dropped that plan as I can't see a safe way to keep it away from the pulley.

As an alternative, I can run the pipe above the pulley, under the water pump.

So, my question is, is it a bad idea to have the power steering line so close to the block or will it be OK?

FYI its a RHD and I am running a PS cooler.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
imho the noise is obvious. For us, noise there. Replacement, noise gone. There isn't any in-between. If we need a 2nd rack then hopefully it happens within the next 33 mos. Or it will be another extended warranty fail. This car is so unreliable, how can we lose on GMPP? It just doesn't seem likely. But the house always wins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please let us know how your dealership visit turns out, ravenh6. We're glad you were able to get some advice here on the forum! If you need any additional assistance working with the dealership just let us know. We're here to help.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care
I need help with getting my enclave in for the repair. It is covered under gm correct?

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
669 Posts
GM Customer hasn't been active on these forums for several years. The special coverage was on certain Model years and have a Time and Mileage Limit. What year is yours and what is the Mileage? Are you the Original Owner and have you received any letters from GM?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Buick Enclave with the power steering issue at low speeds, that so many have posted about. From all reports, I would concur that the issue is with the power steering pump. My wife remembers this happening before, and she believes we had it repaired in 2017 under the warranty expansion GM put in place for the PS pump. It's doing again, and I would like to know if I can still have this repaired under the warranty expansion. The car is still under the 10 year / 150,000 mile parameters

·
Registered
43 Posts
You should still be good. Make sure you describe in detail the loss of power steering at low speeds intermittently. My 2011 has an "in service" date of 11/19/2011, and coverage is to 11/19/2021, or 240,000kms/150,000miles. (Special Coverage 14329) They will replace your PS pump, but not your rack. And they may say your rack needs to be replaced first before they will replace the PS Pump (so that the pump doesn't go again) I had a dealer claim this, took to another dealer, who said "yes, the rack has a leak, but we can do the pump, catch being you'll have no more pump warranty after" I opted for that, and ran a half bottle of BlueDevil PS Stop leak... haven't lost an ounce of PS fluid since, and that was over a year ago. (30,000kms) Not saying that will work for you, but its a possible solution. My system had to be operating temp to lose the pump, fyi. They also converted to Dexron Vi fluid when they did the pump.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts