EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I like many here was concerned about the beautiful tall, doors of my Enclave getting "dinged" in parking lots. I did not want to add another "line" to the beautiful side "flow" of the truck. Another forum member ( ?? sorry ) mentioned he saw that a co. named Sportwing.com, offered side door moldings, painted the exact color as the car! I checked and they have a good site. I just put them on and was very satisfied with the look as they blend nicely and do not greatly off-set the clean look, as a universal chrome or black rubber might.
Install was so easy (self adhesive!) and took 15 minutes per side....working alone, with a tape messure and pencil!

Wished I didn't have to, but the idea of 2-3 bad "dings" on the doors, made me do it!

Here's some pix ( click camera, on left) and check their site, if interested. $99 per car! (plus $12 ship/handle)

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
smokin--
wow-- the side moldings look fantastic, gives the car a whole different look (in a very classy yet sporty way)
i'll be looking into that website myself but i'm to leary about putting them on myself (scared i'll mess it up)..
your such a valued member to this website-- it's people like you that just add to the beauty of the enclave...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Those look really beautiful! They look like they came with the car. :thumb: I'm considering those also, as door dings really make me crazy! I'm thinking of buying a couple yoga mats and figuring out some way to hook them to the doors if I have to park in close quarters somewhere. :-\ -- car doors are all so different, they'll hit you at every level these days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Smokin - your moldings look AMAZING! I will definately have to check them out when the time comes.

Waiting - I like your idea too! Just hang them over the doors when you leave/lock up and let them hang down. LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
They look great. I am considering doing the same thing. How did you determine where to place them? Did you measure up from the ridge on the door right above the cladding at the bottom of the door?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THX for the compliments, guy/gals! Yeah, I had to do something. the Acadia (sister truck by GMC) has something from factory. Not as pretty IMO.

They come w/ good directions, and yes, you measure from the top of the door cladding up, (they tell and show you how much!! I think it was 17" front mark and 17 1/4" rear mark) and just slowly press them on! I exposed just a small 1" part of the adhesive backing first, and LIGHTLY pressed (really just touched) it on, so I could back away and look at it! Then pull it off again. You can do this a few times only! Made my final marks (I used a pencil!) and then removed remainder of adhesive tape and applied! IT AIN'T COMING OFF!! (If you really had to, you could get it off w/ fishing line and do no harm to body!!)

That's it. Small clue.............the paint code # for the Enclave, IF you need it, is on the passenger side, glove box, door label, all way on bottom of label. The site even gives all the common ones . My Opal White was not there, so I had to look. It's a 4 digit #.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Smokin, these do look quite good. You did an exellent job! Are you for hire on the install (just kidding)? Keep us posted as to how well they protect your beauty. Though I know those moldings will help protect you against many door dings; I am curious if some truck or something with a different "inflict damage height" may still get you. Let's hope not, so no news is good news.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wantone said:
Smokin, these do look quite good. You did an exellent job! Are you for hire on the install (just kidding)? Keep us posted as to how well they protect your beauty. Though I know those moldings will help protect you against many door dings; I am curious if some truck or something with a different "inflict damage height" may still get you. Let's hope not, so no news is good news.
At that height, both the bottom cladding and new moldings catch most of the different types of doors. I tried a few different cars in my driveway, just out of curiosity. Nothing is 100%, but at least rude, inconsiderate people, and poorly taught kids may "miss" me now!

PS...if you live near Long Island, NY, I'll gladly help you do the moldings!! Come over any nice Sat, after 1PM!! (I work till 12 usually!) Takes 30 minutes max! :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Smokin,
The side molding looks great, but does it stick out far enough to protect the big part of the door down below. We had our Enclave less that a day and got a ****-of-a-ding on this crease :banghead:. Dent-Wizard got 90% of it out but there's a couple of small chips to repaint. With the molding up that high I don't think it would have helped us with our ding. We've gotten a smaller one up around the handle that the molding would have definitely caught. Looks like I had better order another bottle of touch-up paint. I've got a 2002 King Ranch that has yet to get a ding. That's just our luck I guess. :angryfire:

·
Registered
134 Posts
:thumb: Great job, Smokin!

Check my pix fpr another side molding.
I ordered the paintable moldings fron trimgard.com in Canada, cut them to fit, and had them painted at a local body shop. Installation was easy with the pre-installed 3M double sided tape.

·
Registered
344 Posts
newtobuick, those look great on your car! In fact I saved the picture on the right for my desktop background! My car will be the same color as yours. I like your wheels also. I don't think mine come with those, I just got what was "standard." I have about 3 more weeks of torturous waiting. :mope:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fredsteele said:
Smokin,
The side molding looks great, but does it stick out far enough to protect the big part of the door down below. We had our Enclave less that a day and got a ****-of-a-ding on this crease :banghead:. Dent-Wizard got 90% of it out but there's a couple of small chips to repaint. With the molding up that high I don't think it would have helped us with our ding. We've gotten a smaller one up around the handle that the molding would have definitely caught. Looks like I had better order another bottle of touch-up paint. I've got a 2002 King Ranch that has yet to get a ding. That's just our luck I guess. :angryfire:
No position protects against all cars/trucks, unfortunately. I pulled alongside my Enclave with a Chrysler mini-van and a Yukon truck. In this experiment, both vehicles doors hit the molding first and saved my Enclave!! I don't care if they hit my charcoal colored bottom molding. Good enough for me! I hope ;)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
newtobuick said:
:thumb: Great job, Smokin!

Check my pix fpr another side molding.
I ordered the paintable moldings fron trimgard.com in Canada, cut them to fit, and had them painted at a local body shop. Installation was easy with the pre-installed 3M double sided tape.
Newtobuick,
nice job! If you paid less than $111, with tax and shipping.............you Didi better than I did, at Sportwing.com !!! They look redentical in style to mine! Let's hope they save our doors!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Received the moldings

Smokin,

I ordered the moldings from Sportwing and they shipped them to me really quickly. There were no directions, however. Nothing but the moldings in the tube. You don't still have those measurements laying around, do you?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Received the moldings

fredsteele said:
Smokin,

I ordered the moldings from Sportwing and they shipped them to me really quickly. There were no directions, however. Nothing but the moldings in the tube. You don't still have those measurements laying around, do you?
My directions were hidden in that mesh packing material they use! The adhesive cleaner/ prep was there too! (just gives a clean surface for tape to stick to!) Look again!

Sorry mine are gone..........but I easily remember that it was 17" above the factory, bottom door cladding/ molding in front, and 18" above same cladding in rear! Just measure up the 2 points, draw the line (I used a pencil and it wiped right off!) and mount the moldings! The higher REAR point gives a slight slope,but i went about 17" on both! Tape it on w/ scotch tape first to see if you like it! Adjust any height you like! I moved mine a little, (can't recall lower or higher??) but will have to look to see which way! car is back in 4 hours! let me know or see my pix! ;)

ADVICE: both car and moldings should be above 60 degrees temp before starting to apply, for several hours, to ensure good bond. Center the moldings within 1/4 inch (close together!) of door seams to ensure a continuous look. You don't want/need more than 1/4 inch max to that center seam of the 2 doors. Even that will give you a 1/2" total gap between moldings! I went a little tighter with 1/8 inch to door end! (total gap between moldings:1/4 ")
Good luck!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I purchased mine today. They were in stock and I should have them tomorrow. I loved that the sample shown is in gold mist so I know exactly what mine will look like. I will have to put a space heater in the garage for a bit b/c we won't see 60 degrees again until spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Smokin'

I saw you put on the Emblem and lettering on your Enclave. Where did you get that? Sport Wing as well? I did not see it there. It looks nice...sweet touch. Was it hard to put on and line up?
???

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EnclaveFDX said:
Smokin'

I saw you put on the Emblem and lettering on your Enclave. Where did you get that? Sport Wing as well? I did not see it there. It looks nice...sweet touch. Was it hard to put on and line up?
???
First off, with the moldings, careful to Not go closer to door seam than 1/4 " as rear door needs a little clearance to open into front doors latch, cavity area. ;)

Next, No,Sportwing doesn't carry my pictured side emblems. Order the Enclave name plate from Buick directly(dealer parts counter!) for an unbelievable $15 bucks total, both sides!! It's the same nameplate as on the rear hatch!! Installs in 3 minutes with it's own self-adhesive tape! Try holding it with Scotch tape, to find a location you like,first! And yes, totally,easily, removable with fishing line, no damage if you hate it ;)

The Buick tricolor shield was purchased on Ebay from Firestone Collectibles. he runs a store site there! Cost was about $7 bucks each, and applies same as above. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I went to my dealer service/parts to order the side moldings/sunroof wind deflector and altho I had pics of your moldings Smokin' I didn't take the name of the site. Well, it turns out one of the guys in the parts dept. comes here to find all these specialty items for other customers!

Hi Gary!!!!
:welcome:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rosita2001 said:
I went to my dealer service/parts to order the side moldings/sunroof wind deflector and altho I had pics of your moldings Smokin' I didn't take the name of the site. Well, it turns out one of the guys in the parts dept. comes here to find all these specialty items for other customers!

Hi Gary!!!!
:welcome:
How funny is that???? Never know where a "closet" Enclave fan will turn up! Hope you like them! Post a pix when done??
Ask, if I can advise on them :thumb:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts