EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lily joins the family!
Just what I need, another car, but it was too good to pass up!
Thank you to my friend Fred A. for the lead.
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight with 22,000 miles. This is my first Oldsmobile since I sold my 1969 Toronado in 1978....
The interior is graphite cloth, almost a dark slate blue.
She was picked up by flatbed truck yesterday. The condition is beyond description. This car has obviously had good care and was always garaged. She was purchased from the estate of the original owner. The last inspection sticker is 2010, so the car has been idle for a while. I was told that it has not been driven regularly for longer than that. It started right up and ran smoothly with the new battery installed by the seller. Being that Lily was not currently registered and insured, I could only drive it on the driveway. She seems to run well, and does shift from park to drive and reverse well. All power accessories work as they should. It is a base model with only one option, remote keyless entry (I have the original window sticker from Reilly Oldsmobile in Westfield, NJ). However standard equipment is A/C, power windows, seats, locks, trunk release, cruise control, AM-FM cassette with power antenna, tilt wheel and more. I did take a big chance by not being able to drive it on the road, but it was too good to pass up at the very reasonable price I negotiated. In fact my mechanic offered me $500 more than I paid for it on the spot. I will get her roadworthy and do some cleaning and polishing and drive her for a while. She may be for sale during the summer season. Otherwise I will keep her for a while.
She will go on the lift Monday and gone through to be sure she is roadworthy. Will definitely need the 20 year old tires replaced, and likely belts and hoses too. While the wheels are off the brakes will be checked, and all fluids will be drained and replaced.
Lily joins her fellow auto siblings Rosie (76 Cadillac Sedan deVille), Gloria (90 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance), Mr. Monte (72 Monte Carlo), Martha (92 Mercedes-Benz 500SL), Ruby (08 Enclave CXL) and Pearl (05 LeSabre Limited Celebration Edition).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
:worthless:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more of the fleet

Attachments

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Darn (had to edit). I didn't realize you owned so many cars. Do you drive all of them?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Focus is my daughter's daily driver.
The two Buicks are daily drivers if you can call them that, my wife takes the bus to work in New York City, and I am retired.
Yes, the rest all get driven, mostly for local car club events and AACA (Antique Auto Club) local and national events and tours. The Cadillacs are the preferred tour cars as the trunks are large and my wife likes to pack heavy. The Monte Carlo is an AACA national award winner and is driven very carefully. The Mercedes is a car my wife has always wanted since high school, and was recently acquired. As far as the Oldsmobile, I have not driven it yet as it is still in the shop getting a good going over. The 10 year gas has been drained, belts, hoses, and tires replaced. It is like a 20 year old brand new car. I am not sure what my plans for her are yet as I have to store her in my father-in-law's garage for now. I will likely drive for a while this season and try to sell to make a profit.
None of the cars are ever on a trailer.....too much work, and it takes the fun out of it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Owning Buick for the third year and having traveled more than one thousand I can not stop enjoying the car.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I missed the pics.. when posted.

but saw them now.
the Monte Carlo.

Flashback.....
I have a 1970.
Back in the 90s, I knew all about the rare 454 SS MC.
One day a man talking to me about mine, said he had a 71 for sale.... thats all he said.

I went to look at it.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH--
SS 454 Badge on the sides
SS badge on rear
black paint strip along rear trunk/bumper
black rubber strip on rear bumper

load leveling pump inside
shield on the rear shocks (load leveling)
thick sway bar
the SS steering wheel.
build sheet in rear seat, indicating the 454

unfortunately the 454 was gone, replaced by a 350.

After thinking about it it for a week, I bought the car.
It went into a car storage lot.
Paying $$ every month.
The plan was to fix it up.
yrs went by.

One day I get a call from the storage yard, they were shutting down and I had 3 weeks to get the car out of there........... darn it.
I did not have the space at home.

So I put it up for sale on ebay. Quickest way to sell it to someone who was looking for a SS MC.
Sure enough. Someone found it. and bid on it. They were relatively 'local'. Lived about 120 miles away.

He says he was happy to find it.
He had a bunch of Monte Carlos. But not a 71 SS.
He said he had a 454 engine in his wherehouse... but not the car.

So he came down and towed it away.

oh well..................

·
Registered
43 Posts
Guys, my car broke down. I'm actually planning on changing it. But in the near future I will fly with my wife in Marbella and I had the idea to rent a car and drive around the city on a private car without other tourists. I have already found a website where you can rent a car Marbella cheap. How do you think to travel in a rented car is more profitable than a taxi?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I think it is definitely better to buy a car) I also want my wife to make a surprise, buy for Bitcoins through a bitcoin tumbler, because I want to do it anonymously. I do not want her to know how much I really earn)

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Well, on top of having my 08 Enclave, and 09 Toyota Sienna. We now have a 1973 MG Midget AND a 2019 Hyuandai Sonata Sport Limited

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remembered how I transported my own car ... I will recommend - there is a good campaign that deals with the transportation of cars in the country. I will give the link, I hope the admin will not be against Car shipping.
The fact is that the guys really helped me. One ordered the car in another state and did not dare to drive it through the whole country. Still, the car is unknown, how it will behave is totally incomprehensible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there bro! It`s grat that you have so much cars, but i`am inclined to use car rental services. For example a week ago i was in Miamy and i need luxury car for representing me as a serious buisness man, so i rent a Mercedes in cars in Miami and it was realy convincing for me. I think it much more simle, to rent a car, then to buy it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
13 Participants
Johan
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing