EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They pull me back in......

Haven't been thinking much about it, but I kinda thought a Subaru would be my next car.

Had to go to Hotlanta to meet a client on a high profile deal, and this happens at the Emerald Club

There's no way a Subaru is as fun to drive, no way, no how.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man the more I drive this thing, the more I think you only live once, it has a 3/36 and 5/60 just like the Subaru. The Subaru is not solid like this car, it's chintzy. And I get it, chintzy but potentially lower TCO. and boring, and ugly, but still fun to drive, until you drive the GTI. Hate to be so wishy-washy but what's the worst that could happen?

And the WRX can't do this

ah it's time for Buckhead, I feel young I tell ya! :drunk:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I only buy vehicles that I really like. I'm an enthusiast, but even I can't justify the expensive maintenance on a German car. Looking to team a Challenger or a Camaro with my
Wrangler Rubicon in the next year. I have had a beater subaru impreza sport for 15 years and it owes me nothing, great in snow, decent gas mileage, just no thrill to it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
silvervettes said:
I only buy vehicles that I really like. I'm an enthusiast, but even I can't justify the expensive maintenance on a German car. Looking to team a Challenger or a Camaro with my Wrangler Rubicon in the next year. I have had a beater subaru impreza sport for 15 years and it owes me nothing, great in snow, decent gas mileage, just no thrill to it.
I agree about the cost of maintenance for German cars. For some reason, VW has never appealed to me. My niece has owned 3 of the new Beetles and they always had something wrong with them.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I get older, I am beginning to wonder why we settle. Don't do it. As in do not. Otherwise, wtf do we bother?

Live in our dream house? Nope. Not yet. Why not? Because it's timing, and location. MMO.

None of these cars will compare to my 335i, again, 8 yrs. ago the engineers had free reign. They used costly hardware, not software, to solve an issue.

But how many times do we cave in and drive an Accord or Subaru, because it's the wise thing to do. Nobody could ever criticize us for making that choice, it's safe. We tell ourselves, this is good, look at the sales. When I get in and it feels numb, I think about the great sales.

Now I know what they mean when they say a human can't shift as fast as a dual clutch. This GTI will throw you back in your seat, quite surprising. Numbers-wise I'm pretty sure my 335i can spank it, but the GTI feels more raw somehow. CR showed their true colors on this car, they're the only rag who gave it a unanimous thumbs down.

I'm glad to own German, Japanese, and American in our household. The way the vehicles drive pan out in the same order.

Good trip, but there's no place like home. A man can only eat so many rib eyes and drink so many beers on tap. So much larger than life. :drunk:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
silvervettes said:
I have had a beater subaru impreza sport for 15 years and it owes me nothing, great in snow, decent gas mileage, just no thrill to it.
This is what my buddy keeps telling me, the WRX is fugly. You want to believe in it because it's Japanese. Once you get it, you will be grossly disappointed.

I have to admit, the looks are ugly no matter how much I want to like it, when I see someone else driving it. And it's so cheap inside for a vehicle costing 34k. Really cheeeeep.

Are we so loaded we can spend 34k on something we don't love, and possibly will not like?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Sadly, the budget-busting cost of maintenance and out-of-warranty repairs gets in my way of considering a German car purchase. Besides, at this point in my life, I'm looking more for comfort and function than excitement.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the thing that surprises me about life, the costs mount so quickly and highly, that people today resort to leasing cell phones. We've had debates about leasing cars now for almost twenty years. During this debate, people have made 240 car payments on the leasing camp. A guy in my bro's office said people who buy are dummies, everybody should be leasing, you don't buy something that depreciates (the guy is a CPA/parnter at a big 4). My bro pointed out my 1998 Nissan that's still a DD, and he goes well that's the exception.

When we were in HS, did we ever think we'd be driving an Accord or a mini van? Highly doubtful.

My son is 18 mos. now, and regrettably, we've missed $1,600 x 18 monthly college savings payments to date. He has about $4k in his UGMA from his Christening gifts.

I dunno, how come I was able to buy a 2007 335i and pay it off in 35 mos., still have it, with the most expensive dealer charge to date being $140 (I got ripped off) to flush the brakes? Yet I cannot 9 years later, comfortably buy a 2015 GTI to add to the stables....life sure is puzzling. (I could do it but again I have to pause and really think about potential TCO)

I got stuck overnight here in Hotlanta so it was Fri. night in Buckhead cruising in my hott hatch! This car is a blast to drive--if anyone here were to get behind the wheel and say ho hum I prefer to drive my Enclave I would seriously question whether you know how to drive LOL :confused:

The german cars are so much more solid and precise than Japanese or American made. My cousin said they don't want to build reliability into the model, they don't have to.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I have driven both, this article pretty much sums it up.

I think the days of rags being totally biased are gone (BMW 3 has fallen from grace the Accord should be next).

Things are too expensive nowadays to buy on myths IMHO

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-volkswagen-gti-page-3-1

Edit......why can't the Japanese copy the German's fuel economy....I got over 30 having the car 4 days, spirited driving. My 300 lbs. ft. 335i used to get 30+ on the highway.....way better engineering on the performance aspect

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
john 070
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing