EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a K&N Air Filter? A friend of mine has an Outlook with one installed and he states he has observed increased performance. I'm wondering if the $55.00 cost is worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
gmf101 said:
Has anyone installed a K&N Air Filter? A friend of mine has an Outlook with one installed and he states he has observed increased performance. I'm wondering if the $55.00 cost is worth it.
We've gone over this in a previous thread. There are believers and there are non-believers. Anecdotal testimonials? Yes. Data? None to really speak of. We do know that particulate matter is increased during used oil analysis when oiled filters are used.

My view is simple: if they are so great, why doesn't Ferrari and Porsche use them as original equipment? Cars used to have oiled reusable air filters years ago.

MAF sensors are very sensitive to both dirt and oil. Some mechanics are known to believe the chance of a failed MAF sensor is significantly higher with an oiled reusable filter.

TM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
In case you didn't gather, Tin Man doesn't like them. ;D

I, on the other hand, have used them on every vehicle I've owned since 1994. I've driven a 1992 Grand Caravan over 200,000 miles over 16 a year timespan on a K&N with zero issues. Will you see a marked gain in performance? No, but there are definite small gains due to the increased airflow. Will you see a gain in gas mileage? Maybe; I have on some vehicles and haven't on others. The main attraction to me is a one-time replacement of the filter.

I just gave my brother-in-law my old setup from my Avalanche. It's a drop-in K&N for the stock airbox; I just recently bought a used cold air induction for the Avalanche. The stock box has been modified to allow more cold air into it by cutting out some holes in the bottom of the box and covering them with metal screen; one has a 4" 90-degree rubber elbow that allows cold air in from around the headlight. He's got a Silverado 2500 4X4 crew cab with the 6.0 motor and 4.10 rear gears. His gas mileage sucked at about 9.8 mpg average (he drives pretty hard). He's now averaging 11.8 mpg with the K&N in place. Needless to say, he's pretty happy with a 20% improvement in gas mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tin Man and BadAv for your imputs. I researched prior threads and did not see them, thus my post. So far the jury is still out. As an aside, I don't think a K&N type filter would ever be installed as stock because proper usuage requires some effort by the end user. Also installing as OEM would p-off supppliers of regular filters.

GMF101
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
gmf101 said:
Thanks Tin Man and BadAv for your imputs. I researched prior threads and did not see them, thus my post. So far the jury is still out. As an aside, I don't think a K&N type filter would ever be installed as stock because proper usuage requires some effort by the end user. Also installing as OEM would p-off supppliers of regular filters.

GMF101
Doubt it. Enzo Ferrari wouldn't care. He built engines that needed to be removed from the car every 15,000 miles to replace all the timing belts. A servicable air filter element would be nothing. And where do you get this conspiracy stuff I don't know, nor do I agree with it.

Do NASCAR or Formula 1 cars use oiled air filters? Doubt it, but I don't really know.

BadAV: its not a matter of "liking" or "not liking" a filter. Couldn't care less.

TM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BadAV

That's the thread I was looking for. More than enough info to digest.

GMF101
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Tin Man said:
Doubt it. Enzo Ferrari wouldn't care. He built engines that needed to be removed from the car every 15,000 miles to replace all the timing belts. A servicable air filter element would be nothing. And where do you get this conspiracy stuff I don't know, nor do I agree with it.

Do NASCAR or Formula 1 cars use oiled air filters? Doubt it, but I don't really know.

BadAV: its not a matter of "liking" or "not liking" a filter. Couldn't care less.

TM
I'm told Ferrari's use multiple air filters for better breathing! Same with Lamborghini. Maybe that's why they don't need K&N? Abundant air supply from factory? And only for $200 K!!! Amazing. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
I'm told Ferrari's use multiple air filters for better breathing! Same with Lamborghini. Maybe that's why they don't need K&N? Abundant air supply from factory? And only for $200 K!!! Amazing. ;)
Some paper filters let more air in than others depending on their design and size. This makes sense. Trying to second guess the engineers who design engines is a pastime.

TM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
He had a rough couple days! He'll be fine ;D
LOL! Wish you could come over for some :beer:

TM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Tin Man said:
LOL! Wish you could come over for some :beer:

TM
I'd love to see Kentucky! How 'bout some Southern Spirits as well?? :cheers:

Maybe the new Onstar Download-to-Nav enhancement will be working soon and I'll easily find your palace in the woods? ;)

Just give me another month for the total Summer gas changeover to occur, so I can afford the trip :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
I'd love to see Kentucky! How 'bout some Southern Spirits as well?? :cheers:

Maybe the new Onstar Download-to-Nav enhancement will be working soon and I'll easily find your palace in the woods? ;)

Just give me another month for the total Summer gas changeover to occur, so I can afford the trip :D
Come on over. We've got all sorts of spirits: Southern, German, French, Italian. Lots of good BBQ and fried catfish you wouldn't believe.

TM
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top