EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're considering an Enclave, but when we get a new car it stays with us for years, so we want to get it right. The 12/07 Consumer Reports gives the new Highlander 81 points, the MDX 80 and the Pilot 79 points, but the Lambdas only 75 and seemed kinda downbeat about the Enclave in particular. Still, we find the Pilot and new MDX to be boring to drive and ugly, and the new Highlander reportedly has numb steering-by-wire and apparently needs lots of little steering corrections at highway speeds.

My (fully restored) 1974 Mercedes, in particular, feels more, not less, rooted to the asphalt as highway speed increases, and steering is confident, without need for tweaking. Some other cars are the opposite, making driving relatively white-knuckled at vigorous highway speeds.

We take occasional long trips and I have a moderately heavy foot, so that "king of the autobahn" feeling of rail-solid high-speed stability is a "must." However, I've seen no discussion here, at CU or anywhere else about how the Enclave fares in this regard. Any highway warriors have thoughts?

Thanks, folks, for the helpful feedback :notworthy:. Although over the years I've found Consumer Reports to be the gold standard among independent testing organizations, their perspective isn't always the same as some of the rest of us. For example, 14 years back they raved about the Toyota Land Cruiser. We test drove it and it felt like a constipated school bus. Off we went to Jeep for a Detroit Iron Grand Cherokee, and my wife has loved it ever since and doesn't want to give it up.

But it has to go out to pasture someday, and although she feels the Enclave is awfully large, it seems like the ultimate choice -- especially if they begin offering it, as has been predicted, with the 304 hp direct-injection version of the current V6.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you test drive the Mercedes and BMW SUV's, you might find them more "planted" and responsive, but the Enclave is a bit more quiet and luxurious if not more economical to own.

I tested a GL and it felt more solid but heavier. More planted on the road but a bit less smooth. The Mercedes may cost more, but will hold its value slightly better.

BMW is reportedly importing a diesel version of its large SUV no later than 2010 model year. This would be my choice without question if I didn't need more than 5 passenger room.

TM

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I don't know if this will answer your question, but I traded a fully loaded 2006 Pilot in on my Enclave and there is absolutely no comparison with the Enclave in a totally different class in feel, ride, handling, quiet cabin, better on bad roads, luxury, better mpg in the Enclave etc. No comparison at all. The pilot was noisy, rough over bumps, boring with cookie cutter styling with a lot of road and wind noise...no comparison.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I looked under the rear bumper of the MDX, Pilot, Highlander. The damned exhaust pipes go UNDER the rear axle??? First "curb jump"...........and the looks, when following :tard: What were they thinking???

Next time you're at a tire shop and one of them is on a lift nearby, look at the size/guage of the steel chassis parts! I ran home to see if my empty beer cans were missing! ;)

Enclave is best for $$$$. You have to spend $10K more to perhaps equal IMHO.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I personally have looked under Toyotas and Hondas, and yes their chassis parts do look and feel cheaper. I'd really hate to think what happens when you hit a big pothole.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Consumer Reports is the absolute worst magazine for buying cars. I don't like them for buying anything, but for cars they are not even close to reality. CU bias is legendary, and goes back at least to the 1960s. They finally got caught with Toyota and had to back off a little, but I assure you, it is temporary.

I now refuse to help anyone buy a car who lists CU as a major source of information. I cannot stand the way they can't make decisions on their own.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am not a 'car person' so I never really understood the terminology of how a car drives....I can tell you this:
I was set on getting a Honda Pilot....until I test drove it. I thought the ride was noisy and rough (I felt EVERY bump). It was noisier and bumpier than the 6 year old Ford Windstar I was trading in.
The Enclave ride is smooth as silk, like your coffee won't spill as you drive around, and you feel like you are moving at about 15 MPH when you are actually going 40MPH...not sure what the 'terms' would be to describe this type of drive but I LOVE it! ;D

·
Registered
661 Posts
bsox said:
I don't know if this will answer your question, but I traded a fully loaded 2006 Pilot in on my Enclave and there is absolutely no comparison with the Enclave in a totally different class in feel, ride, handling, quiet cabin, better on bad roads, luxury, better mpg in the Enclave etc. No comparison at all. The pilot was noisy, rough over bumps, boring with cookie cutter styling with a lot of road and wind noise...no comparison.
I had a 05 pilot EXL-nav for 2.5 years on a lease (the 08 is little changed, 09 will be). I liked the pilot very much, but it did not have the ride of my enclave. Thepilot was very noisy on the road, the enclave very quiet. The main reason for the enclave is my wifes dissatisfaction with the pilot AND 08 MDX ride.
I really consider the enclave to be in a different class than the pilot. Much more refined and car-like. I do not mean to critisize the pilot. I liked it too, but it had shortcomings on the comfort side. One minor issue: I liked the pilot nav MUCH better than the enclave, mainly cause you cannot input on the road witht he enclave.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The reason I agree with the posts about the Enclave being better than vehicles like the Pilot (although I haven't driven one) is not just the ride, which is plenty smooth and quiet, but that the handling is superb. Something only the premium marques have done consistently such as Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus. That is why the Enclave is in a different class and CU hasn't a clue. They look at these vehicles as they do refrigerators or batteries: appliance-like. Most car aficionados, and you need to be to spend 40k+ for a transportation device IMO, look at styling, comfort, and the way it drives along with utility, cost, reliability and the other things that make a purchase valued.

So CU doesn't get it and probably never will. They recently did the same with the E320 CDI. They didn't know what to do with it, since it didn't have a Toyota or Honda badge on it making it high on the appliance appreciation list. Its ridiculous, but the E320 CDI gets 35 mpg on the highway with superior ride and handling. Nothing else does that with the kind of room and practicality. Nothing. But they couldn't bring themselves to put it up on top for some reason. So be it with the Enclave.

TM

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Consumer Reports has absolutely ZERO credibility. Their publishers gladly take millions of dollars under the table from old Japanese automotive magnates which COMPLETELY makes their recommendations total BS. Anything they say buy, I always steer 180 degrees from. EVERY vehicle I have owned has had ZERO of the "problems" that CR says are "problem areas" that affect reliability. What does that tell you about their "accuracy" of reporting? THEY should be put out of business!

·
Registered
80 Posts
ccaats said:
Consumer Reports has absolutely ZERO credibility. Their publishers gladly take millions of dollars under the table from old Japanese automotive magnates which COMPLETELY makes their recommendations total BS. Anything they say buy, I always steer 180 degrees from. EVERY vehicle I have owned has had ZERO of the "problems" that CR says are "problem areas" that affect reliability. What does that tell you about their "accuracy" of reporting? THEY should be put out of business!
How do you know that Consumer Reports takes millions of dollars under the table from old Japanese automobile magnates?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well, I guess if you're from DC or New Jersey, you just assume there are pay-offs! :-X

1 - 13 of 13 Posts