EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

401 - 420 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Back in April I posted a photo of an oil painting by my friend David, scroll down. I had just brought it home and it fits in perfectly with our home. It now hangs in the dining room where I can enjoy it every day.

Last month, a good friend of mine Bruce, posted some photographs he had taken. I have known him 6 years and his photographs are absolutely beautiful. The content he captures, the areas where he photographs and the subject....perfect. He had a couple which I so wanted to have. BUT, I also wanted my friend David to use these prints for 2 oil paintings.

I first asked David if he would, if I could get permission from Bruce. David said sure. I then asked Bruce how much for the 2 prints so that I could have my friend do oil paintings from. Bruce said sure and that I could just "have them". He sent by email his permission to use since he had a copy-right on each one.

I am so excited to announce that David has time to start on my first of two, commissioned oil paintings. I absolutely cannot wait to see the end result!! I chuckled as he said he would send me "work in progress" reports.

This year I will be having our entranceway/living room/dining room walls and ceilings painted. It has been 10 years and I can tell the colors have faded a bit. I can also then re-arrange all of the artwork on my walls, to include the 2 newest oil paintings.

Have contacted Wayne, he painting the kitchen and did the staining of the wood work. He has said all I need to do is just let him know when I would like him to stop up.

Thinking, this summer. Oh my, my household will be in uproar again. ROFLOL....at least it isn't a remodeling project. Wellll....there may be one this year, the master bathroom. After all, the guys my husband works with, they don't want him to retire next year, they want me to keep adding remodeling projects so he will have to keep working, for a couple additional years.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
There is another remodel coming up. Or rather 3. Not sure if all will be this year, perhaps one and then next year the last 2, as these are connected.

Back in 2009, we had a new front door with side lights installed. Solid red oak. The door we had, with a really nice oval insert of glass we gave to our friends. We laughingly referred to it as "they won the door prize".

The following year they upgraded their home with all new granite countertops, including the 2 bathrooms. The counter tops in the bathrooms were of a composite material with the sink molded into it. They gave us those two counters. AND they have sat in the garage since then.

I have been wanting to remodel the guest bathroom upstairs, where one of those free counters would go. Then the master bathroom, where the second one would go (double sink).

But upon thinking things over I have decided that I would like to have the same style/type granite which is in our kitchen. The pattern is "yellow river". I was talking about it last night with my husband telling him that if and when we would decide to sell our home, my thought is not happening, having all the countertops in the bathrooms to match the granite in the kitchen would be a good selling point. The bathroom cabinets would also match the cabinets in the kitchen.

So, this summer sometime, I will pull out the blueprints for this house, and double check the measurements in the guest bath and proceed to work on a cost estimate.

This time I want to be my own "general contractor". After the fiasco I dealt with at times with the one we used during the kitchen remodel, might as well yell at myself, than anyone else.

The master bath will be a bigger remodeling change. The master closet is right next to the master bath, you walk into the closet through the bathroom. By combining the two as one master bath I can get a large shower, the toilet will remain where it is, in a separate small room with a door. I just may be able to put a 2nd sink/vanity in across from the shower and the main vanity, too small for a double sink, will be just one sink and there would be enough room to put a linen cabinet in next to that sink.

Now as for the missing master closet. That will move. We now have 4 bedrooms, one next to the master bedroom is smaller than the other two guest bedrooms. So I am going to take part of it and move the laundry room upstairs. The rest will be the master closet, with a window.

I have it worked out in my mind, just need to copy the blue prints of the rooms and make the notations on the copies. Including measurements and such.

Then the current laundry room, downstairs in the lower level, that will become a half bath. Part of it will be used for additional storage to the area next to it, where the holiday decorations are stored.

My husband was chuckling because the guys he works with on the base, they really do not want him to retire next year. They have said that I need to come up with more remodeling projects so he will remain working.

I think....this will take at least 2-3 more years. Perhaps that will be enough time for them to find a suitable replacement for him, or perhaps not. When my husband was in the hospital in 2013 with his heart attack, they kept telling me how much they needed him... Well hate to burst their balloon, I need him more, not for the remodeling projects, just because he is the best part of my life.

These are the 3 slabs of granite which were reserved for my kitchen. The movement and the colors....I absolutely LOVE it and, so does my husband. LOL even if it cost more than what was initially budgeted for. Oh well.....having a kitchen I love to cook it, priceless.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
The meal preparations, especially recipes, are about to dramatically change.

My husband's blood tests lately have indicated he may be on the verge of becoming a diabetic. It runs in his family. His Mother was diabetic. My husband is the youngest of 5 boys. The older two have already passed, directly associated to complications due to diabetes.

The one who is now the oldest brother, he is now on an insulin pump and has been for at least 5 years.

The next one in line, is my age, the last we knew he wasn't showing any signs of diabetes.

We always knew this would be a possibility. Although we had worried so much about his heart condition, we kind of pushed it to the side.

Guess it is now front and center and I need to deal with it and start changing how we eat. Had changed on how we eat for his heart, now it will be added to.

Thing is my husband loves candy and ice cream. Sugar free candy and deserts, I better get busy in how to make these for him, and of course wouldn't hurt me either.

Such is life.....and my husband and I take it one day at a time.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Proper diet and exercise is crucial to controlling borderline diabetes. Also, be aware that losing some weight, even as little as 10 pounds, can significantly lower his A1c.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Checking out diabetic cookbooks to add to my list.

My husband has worked on keeping his weight down. LOL never as much as some think.

It is going to be an adventure, for him and me.

Thanks!!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Talk about being pissed off this morning.

The "kitchen remodel" from **** has risen its ugly face again.

The under counter microwave has bit the dust. Yep, the Frigidaire Galaxy has decided to spin and spin and spin but not heat anything.

I was just thinking. I SO WANTED all KitchenAid appliances but nope, my husband turned pale and bulked when I gather the cost for all appliances. Well, so did I, **** it would have been the total amount of the money he initially gave me for the remodel. LOL little did we know then that that number would be blown out of the water.

But there was one thing I would NOT give up. A glass five burner KitchenAid cooktop...I LOVE IT.

Plus the last 3-4 months, the icemaker on the, yep again, Frigidaire Galaxy sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. My husband said it is normal for the ice to freeze and stop dispensing. I said "**** the old Whirlpool refrig/freezer we had ONLY did that TWICE. This one does it constantly anymore. Plus, there have been many times I have walked into the kitchen and there is water dripping down the front of the new refrigerator onto the bamboo flooring.

I wonder if I could fit a KitchenAid microwave into the spot where the Frigidaire Galaxy is now?

Hummmm...think I may just start checking some out.

Frigidaire, go figure. We had a black glass top slide in Frigidaire stove which worked for 15 years with only one service call. We also had Frigidaire dryer/washing machine for years, they were my husbands first. I had Whirlpool which I sold after we moved in here. I estimate the Frigidaire units were nearly 20 years old by the time we upgraded to front loading Samsung units at least 6 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Have you contacted Fridgidaire about this? Maybe there is still some sort of warranty coverage. If not, raise a bit of polite "****" and see if that gets you anywhere.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Have you contacted Fridgidaire about this? Maybe there is still some sort of warranty coverage. If not, raise a bit of polite "****" and see if that gets you anywhere.
Not yet and I was bad...it is a Frigidaire Gallery, not Galaxy. LOL, my mind was not working properly due to be so ticked off this morning.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
We are cooking outside today. Finally using the electronic smoker I gave my husband for our anniversary last year.

Have a slab of ribs and a small pork loin in smoking.

Pork loin should be ready in about 2 or so hours. The ribs, probably an hour or more longer, based on the information we have researched.

We wanted to use it over Memorial Day weekend but it was too rainy around here. Had it hooked up and getting seasoned then the rain came though. Started later to finish seasoning the smoker and then, the rain came through.

Today, sunny and only 84, down from a high of 92 yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Right now, it's 85°F without a cloud in the sky. :sunny:
My wife, my daughter, and I are sitting on the lawn beside our townhouse. Our end unit is surrounded by woods, so we have some privacy and shade if we want. It's like being at the beach, but with a view of the woods blowing in the breeze.

My son decided to go for a jog instead of joining our basking in the sun.

What a glorious day in NJ!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
We are sitting on our deck completely shaded and a nice breeze as well.

A glass of red wine sitting on the table next to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
How's that glass(es) of red wine?

So good! :wine:

Pork loin was perfect! Ribs still have about an hour to go.

LOL looks like rib dinner for tomorrow night. Reheat on the grill, wrapped in foil, while I have some corn on the cob cooking as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Sailfish said:
So good! :wine:

Pork loin was perfect! Ribs still have about an hour to go.

LOL looks like rib dinner for tomorrow night. Reheat on the grill, wrapped in foil, while I have some corn on the cob cooking as well.
Looks delicious!

My wife just grilled chicken with broccoli and pasta sides. I usually dislike Sundays because it is the end of the weekend with the workweek looming ahead. But, the weather is so wonderful today that I'm in an unusually relaxed mood. Too bad it has to end in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
The ribs, smoked to perfection. No we didn't eat them, but did try one rib each. The rest, packaged up in foil to be re-heated tonight.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
:jaw: while we were enjoying such a pleasant and unusually relaxing Sunday, I had no idea about the Orlando Massacre! I feel a bit guilty for my pleasure during such a hateful and dark day in America and the world.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
:jaw: while we were enjoying such a pleasant and unusually relaxing Sunday, I had no idea about the Orlando Massacre! I feel a bit guilty for my pleasure during such a hateful and dark day in America and the world.
It did darken such a beautiful day. :'(

401 - 420 of 428 Posts
About this Discussion
427 Replies
12 Participants
HarrisonG
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing