EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother -in-law works for a supplier to the Delta plant, and they are being told that the Delta plant will have manditory overtime (6 day shifts) until the end of the year, and NO shut down in July for change-over like other years. This may or may not be true, only going from reliable sources that told him that, but sounds like job security, at least for GM employees and suppliers for the Lambdas

·
Registered
577 Posts
Does that mean there will be no changes from 2009 to 2010 due to no shutdown?

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canuck said:
That's what I would tend to think.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If true….this is really good news for GM and Michigan. The Lambdas are great vehicles, a solid design that is selling even in a weak economy. If GM continues to make cars that people want to buy, there is little doubt they will be back on the road to profitability in no time.

No July shutdown does mean limited design changes. Generally that means no major changes in tooling and fixtures. It does not mean that changes would not occur in the some supply chain items or colors and options. Adding and retiring exterior colors in the paint kitchen can be accomplished very quickly. Those sorts of minor changes can be made without a July shutdown. Who knows maybe they will add some external characteristics that will allow us to tell a 2010 from a 2008/2009.

Awesome news …………..

Congrats General Motors :thumb:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
they should def. open another plant...... since overtime you're going to have people complain to be tired and stuff....

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
vic1212 said:
they should def. open another plant...... since overtime you're going to have people complain to be tired and stuff....
yeah, if re-tooling plants didn't take hundreds of millions of dollars.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Makes sense; the Traverse sales numbers are sky rocketing; I bet none of those folks are complaining in this economy :thumb:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think you meant to say 2010 - 2011 and not 2009 - 2010 :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's no shutdown this year either, according to the "tourguide" at the plant. With the Traverse, they are very busy....I don't see a slow down for a long time. I don't fear quality, they have to still go thru all the same things with each vehicle, they just add days to the work schedule, not more units per day that are being built. They are working 6 days now, and there were rumors they would go to 7 day weeks to meet the demand. It's a bitter sweet thing, because it's nice to have the steady work, but the people who work there have no lives working all those hours. My brother-in-law, who works for Magna Power Train, (they supply the drive, axle, suspension componets near the rear of the vehicle), is working a mirror schedule to the Delta plant, and he's on 6 days for the rest of the summer. Good news, he can bank all that extra overtime money....the bad news, he's frustrated in only getting one day off a week. Crazy thing is, they will go like crazy for a while, then if demand goes down, they will lay off employees, and pay them unemployment while they are off....they never seem to get the supply/demand thing figured out. Like I said, it will be a while before production slows down...then just when it does, there will be the next generation Lambda, and hopefully demand will skyrocket again.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i think that they should of just kept the spring hill assembly and then produce more there so that way it won't be time consuming...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
vic1212
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing