EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this fairly recent image of the LDT plant the other day. Most of us either have or are patiently waiting for a Born On Date. Well follow the link below to take a good look at the Born On Location. The image is rather good so you can zoom in and out to get a good close look at the plant. Just south of the plant, across Davis highway and just west of Guiena Road, you can see the transportation facility which was only half finished at the time this image was acquired. Microsoft isn't very good about publishing metadata, information about the image, so I haven't been able to dig out the exact date this image was taken. I believe this transportation facility is owned by Jack Cooper Transport.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.690756~-84.678658&style=a&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&encType=1

I hope this link works for most of you. The product being used to display this image is Microsoft Live Search maps ( http://local.live.com ) and Microsoft Virtual Earth.. If the direct link to the LDT location didn't work, try starting with this link and then navigate to the western edge of Lansing, MI, click on Aerial or Hybrid and you will eventually, I hope, locate the LDT facility, just west of the I-69 and I-96 Interchange.

I found one of the most interesting features of this plant to be the long private road that runs along the western boundary. This is apparently where most of the 3 miles come from that were driven before our Enclaves were delivered. Each Enclave/Acadia/Outlook is driven from the northwest corner of the plant grounds, across Davis highway through an uncontrolled intersection :eek: and on to the grounds of the shipping facility.

When I was in Lansing earlier this month (I have a son doing graduate work in chemistry at Michigan State University in East Lansing) I stopped by the plant to look around. I parked in the Jack Cooper Transport employee parking lot and watched Lambdas roll by 20 feet in front of me in groups of about a dozen every few minutes. Eventually a couple of Cooper employees asked me to move to the street. They were worried about liability or so the story went. But they were nice about it and we talked for a few minutes about the transportation facility. I told them I would VOLUNTEER to drive new Lambdas from the plant to the shipping lot for a day or two. They declined my offer chuckling and shaking their heads. All those beautiful Enclaves are just a product to ship and one more days work for them. And there were THOUSANDS, and I'm not exaggerating, parked on the grounds waiting to be loaded on either a truck or train. The majority were Acadias. What a sight!

I located this link to the Lansing State Journal news paper site that provides a good overview of what is inside the plant. It has been referenced in this forum before may have already looked at it, but if not, it is a neat overview of the LDT complex. It takes a few seconds to load and may require Flash Player. Click on the Red, Blue and Green buttons to navigate through the virtual tour.

http://www.lsj.com/graphics/2006_GM_LDT/deltaplant.html

I also posted a few ground level photographs that I took while looking around the LDT plant in my gallery. The Enclave/Tiger billboard is HUGE!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for sharing mapper....very cool link and pictures. Nothing like plastering the side of your facility with a marketing photo of what you build! That billboard should be everywhere......it is a great statement of quality and domination (both of the car and the spokesperson).

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
From my 4/6/2015 drive home. Anyone recognize this place?

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
This post prompts me to share some photos from the 2010 tour of the Delta Township Plant. See anybody you know? :angel:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
NICE! Unfortunately I was not on the tour last year. This post also prompts me to see if anyone is setting up another tour?

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
cfedor said:
NICE! Unfortunately I was not on the tour last year. This post also prompts me to see if anyone is setting up another tour?
Kids?

·
Registered
592 Posts
There was a 2013 tour, but no 2014 tour. Paul had a lot going on this year. Thanks again though Paul for all the tours you have arranged. They have been appreciated by many, including me.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
TSS said:
There was a 2013 tour, but no 2014 tour. Paul had a lot going on this year. Thanks again though Paul for all the tours you have arranged. They have been appreciated by many, including me.
Oops. Yes, I missed the 2013 tour. I must have slept a year away. I have had my "Cherry-Ot" since 11/01/12. Can't believe it.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
This post prompts me to share some photos from the 2010 tour of the Delta Township Plant. See anybody you know? :angel:
Anyone want to fess up to being in the picture?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
zman said:
Good one, zman! :hilarious2:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
zman said:
Well in the first picture, I'm the second guy from the right, with the green shirt on. In the second picture, that's my Enclave in front.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My son and I are standing to the immediate right of Paul. My Enclave is parked behind Paul's. The silver green metallic brothers.

CT

·
Registered
432 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Well in the first picture, I'm the second guy from the right, with the green shirt on. In the second picture, that's my Enclave in front.
Sparty would be proud of your shirt color, too! :cheers:

·
Registered
432 Posts
C Traz said:
My son and I are standing to the immediate right of Paul. My Enclave is parked behind Paul's. The silver green metallic brothers.

CT
Nice Illini colors on those shirts CT! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Cool. It's nice having a face to match up to a member. :thumb:

Oh, and I didn't know kids name either.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
So will there be a 2015 tour?

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
kidsenclave said:
That is one "phenomenal" looking Enclave, Kids! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts