EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANY OTHER DEALERSHIP OUT THERE IS OFFERING A LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY? I KNOW CHRYSLER OFFERS IT ON THEIR VEHICLES BUT THE DEALERSHIP I AM GETTING MY ENCLAVE FROM IS OFFERING IT ON ALL QUALIFYING 2008 VEHICLES. THIS WAS A BIG SELLER FOR ME TO BUY THE ENCLAVE THERE INSTEAD OF SOMEWHERE ELSE.

HERE IS THE WEBSITE OF MY DEALERSHIP: http://mcgonigal.com/index.htm?bhcp=1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please stop shouting.

joe

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Dealership, ALAN JAY Buick,Pontiac, GMC (Sebring FL) gave me a free Lifetime Power Train warranty also on my 2008 Enclave!!
Bought mine June 1st.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Buick's standard powertrain warranty is already 100,000 miles. Considering the reliability of new cars, and knowing that it probably will be traded before the standard 4yr/50,000mi warranty, or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty expires, their risk is minimal.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Top Dog said:
I believe the Buick Power Train Warranty is 5 years/100,000 Miles according to my Brochure.
Correct. Buick has an extra year compared with most GM.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A HUGE advantage of having the 100,000mi warranty as opposed to Chrysler's lifetime is that the lifetime warranty is non-transferable and GM's is. The end result is a harder car to sell due to a lack of warranty and therefore a lower value upon trade-in. If you drive it until it's not worth anything, then you are fine. Most people wont do that though. There are also usually some pretty strict rules attached to routine maintenance and who can do the work too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will end up driving the enclave until it dies. The car I traded in had 200,000 miles on it. So the lifetime warranty will be nice. I tend to put anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 miles a month on my car. Therefore I will definately go over the 100,000 mile warranty in less than 5 years. I also take very good care of my car and will not have a problem with the strict check ups required.

·
Registered
177 Posts
MRBUICK said:
Buick's standard powertrain warranty is already 100,000 miles. Considering the reliability of new cars, and knowing that it probably will be traded before the standard 4yr/50,000mi warranty, or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty expires, their risk is minimal.
Do "most" people actually trade in their car before 100k miles?! I surely won't be buying a 35-40+ thousand dollar car and just swap it after a few years. It makes poor financial sense to flip cars so frequently, ESPECIALLY considering the reliability of new cars these days, even american, and the price they are fetching. Heck, isn't 100k the standard "tune up" time? 40k for a car isn't so bad anymore when you consider it should easily last you 8-10 years before becoming a "fix-it" burden. I really wish I could have new cars every 3-4 years, but that's just too expensive and I'd rather have other things, like an early retirement. :angel:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I myself do NOT fall into that "most people" category.
I generally keep my cars 10+ years.
I will drive my car about 7000 miles a year, and MRSBUICK will drive her car only 3000 miles a year as she does not use it to commute to work.
The 4 year/50000 mi standard warranty and the 5year/100,000 mi powertrain warranty works fine for me.
Even so, a lifetime powertrain warranty would be nice to have.
Are these warranties the dealers are offering transferable?

MRBUICK

·
Registered
435 Posts
My son just bought a 2008 T&C with "Lifetime Powertrain Warrantee". You better look at the fine print of Chrysler's warrantee. "All that glitters is not gold".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jimbobwae said:
Do "most" people actually trade in their car before 100k miles?! I surely won't be buying a 35-40+ thousand dollar car and just swap it after a few years. It makes poor financial sense to flip cars so frequently, ESPECIALLY considering the reliability of new cars these days, even american, and the price they are fetching. Heck, isn't 100k the standard "tune up" time? 40k for a car isn't so bad anymore when you consider it should easily last you 8-10 years before becoming a "fix-it" burden. I really wish I could have new cars every 3-4 years, but that's just too expensive and I'd rather have other things, like an early retirement. :angel:
My argument is that today, cars are more plastic and electronic than they have ever been. That translates into more cost over time. Those components have a design life limit. At some point as those thing wear out and get old, they break. I just spent some time looking at prices and although quite encouraged at the lower than expected cost of parts (ruined a key argument too), I still contend that everyone has a monthly payment. Do you want a monthly payment on a new car or an old one. Your choice. Lets look at how this played out for me:
Prior to owning my Enclave, I had/have a '97 Isuzu Rodeo that I bought in "03 with 65K miles for $11K. Today I am trying to sell it with 138K miles. It's in great shape and NADA retail value is about $2,500. I keep good records and am always looking for a deal on parts. I do my own work too. It's never been to a mechanic outside my own garage. Even so, my monthly average was about $77 for parts and tools needed to do the jobs. I've redone wiring, replaced sensors, fixed head gasket leaks, replaced exhaust components, replaced oxygen sensors, replaced the alternator, replaced the starter, replaced ignition components, 2 sets of tires, a battery, and 2 headlights. just thinking of how many hours I spent makes me ill right now. Total maintenance bill was $5,544 plus a depreciation of $8,500. Cost of ownership minus the variable costs of fuel and insurance was $14,044.
Now, lets look at a similar scenario with what I plan to do:
I plan on owning the Enclave for about 3yrs and driving it about 60k miles or so and selling it. So, we need to look back at $40k cars that were made in '05 and see what they retail at 60K miles today; I chose a '05 suburban LT 4x4 with similar as possible options as my Enclave and 60k miles. NADA lists it for $30,500. Now there are a lot of possible things that could change the price. I am gambling that the Enclave will hold its value better that the suburban. But we should agree that the number we come close to for comparison is about $10,000 depreciation and I wouldn't have spent hardly anything in maintenance except maybe a set of tires and a few odds and ends. So, to compare, I spent more on that stupid Rodeo and pulled my hair out for hours on end working on it for what? And I could have been driving a new car the whole time for less money.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jetguy said:
... And I could have been driving a new car the whole time for less money.
Amen brother! I have spent countless hours of my life and tens of thousands of dollars keeping my cars "like new" over the years. Not even counting the "down time" which I can't afford now in my life, I lease, keep them nice and get the latest and greatest (Enclave currently) every 3 years! :thumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lifetime warranty offered from my dealership is not transferable. The warranty doesnt cover everything but any warranty is better than none at all. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jetguy, I strongly disaggree. First off, an '05 Suburban C1500 LT is valued at (with 50k miles) 23k trade-in, 26k retail (the Lexus Rx330 holds about 30k after 3 years, but that car's initial value is higher and is a true luxury brand, unlike Buick). So I HIGHLY doubt even the Enclave will retain 30k after 3 years. Secondly, factor in all the interest you would have paid on your car loan (since you're talking "monthly payments" I assume you're taking a loan) because that's all down the drain. And don't forget even new cars have maintainence costs, like oil changes and tire rotations. Thirdly, your experience with your Rodeo is an exception. I've had 2 older cars (currently in a '95 Impala SS) and have my share of fixes but still haven't had to do nearly the work you have.

I'm not by any means a used-car advocate, I'd rather have a new one also, but a new car every 3 or 4 years is not cheap. You're best off keeping it for many years and rigidly maintaining your vehicle. There's nothing like a car you own outright and not having a montly payment (well, aside from no mortgage, I imagine). THEN you can make "monthly payments" to your savings account so you won't have to take a loan on the next car.

But these days everyone wants their flashy new car so they can keep up with the Joneses (and I'm in that category, but my wife keeps me in check).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I may have worked the extreme end of the spectrum on my end, but I think your working the extreme to the other end as well. Realisticly, there is probably somewhere to meet in between. Who comes out ahead I'm not sure, but a loan on a new car or a loan on an older car is still a loan with interest either way. More on one than the other, but only by less than a grand total most often. You still didn't factor in depriciation completley. Even if my car is only valued at 25k after 3yrs. In 6 and 120k miles it will probably be only worth less than 10k.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Come on, a 35k car down to 25k in 3 years but will be down to 10k in 3 more years? That's 10k depreciation in 3 years but another 15k in the following 3 years? The biggest depreciation is in the first year, everyone knows that.

And you're right on the interest being the same on a smaller used car loan or a larger new car one, especially considering the rates will be higher on a used car. But it's more likely that you can afford to buy a used car out right. Truth be told, i don't like used all that much anyway. I'd rather have a new one, pay it off, and live in it for a while, whilst continuing to make "car payments" to myself so that I can be the bank next time I get a car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts