EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....I just found out you can open the rear lift gate from the hidden handle even though the E is locked. Mmmm. If I put the lift gate control to the off position in the dash, the hidden handle or remote is inoperable. So I guess my question is....can the lift gate be set up to only work on the remote?

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
REALLY! That should NOT happen being able to open the rear lift gate with the Enclave locked. I am going out right now and check mine.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
WTH it opened! So I closed it and then went around to the drivers door, planning on shutting off the lift gate and....**** the Enclave was UNLOCKED! Nope not me I used the VUE today to go to the Humane Society and when I got home the Enclave was not in the driveway. Husband came home about an hour later so... :facepalm:

I locked it and walked to the back and nope the gate does not open. WHEWW!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just checked mine (2011):

The switch on the dash is in the unlocked setting.
One push on the key fob (lock button) locks all the doors and the hatch CAN NOT be opened by using the external switch under the handle.
Double push on the fob yields the same results plus beeps the horn. Hatch can NOT be opened externally.

When locked, one push on the fob's unlock button only unlocks the driver's door. Hatch and other three can NOT be externally opened.
Two pushes on the fob's unlock button unlocks everything and all can be externally opened.

When locked, one push on the fob's hatch button opens it (as expected) and one push on the same button then closes it and it is then locked and will not open manually by using the external button under the handle.

Check the owner's manual - I think these operations can be changed to your personal preferance via the DIC controls.

FYI - when walking through a parking lot I often push the buttons on my key fobs and have set off vehicle horns and have locked/unlocked vehicles. This has even happened to non-GM products using my GM key fobs. Highly unlikey, but perhaps an individual has unknowingly unlocked your E while entering their own vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
My wife recently noticed that our Enclave's liftgate was wide open in her workplace parking lot. She happened to look out the window of her office a few hours after she parked, so she is not sure how long it was open. Her opinion is that she had forgotten to lock the car, and that someone leaning against the car had accidentally depressed the liftgate button causing the unlocked liftgate to open. She claims that lots of employees rest up against parked cars when out on smoking breaks, so she's hopeful that her idea is correct. If this happens again, I will have the dealer check for gremlins.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I evaluated the liftgate's operation, and I agree with Blue Oval's assessment. The manual liftgate button within the license plate well responds the same way the second row door locks do; 2 presses of the unlock button on the remote key fob are required to unlock the liftgate for manual operation. Unlocking the car doors via the driver's side door mounted door lock switches will also unlock the liftgate for manual operation.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I evaluated the liftgate's operation, and I agree with Blue Oval's assessment. The manual liftgate button within the license plate well responds the same way the second row door locks do; 2 presses of the unlock button on the remote key fob are required to unlock the liftgate for manual operation. Unlocking the car doors via the driver's side door mounted door lock switches will also unlock the liftgate for manual operation.
It has to be this way, because the whole purpose of the one push, two push on the door locks is for people who are alone, and don't want the other 3 doors (and in this case, the tailgate) to be unlocked when they are entering the vehicle by themselves, and perhaps at night, etc. It would serve no purpose to have the tailgate be unlocked with just one push on the keyfob...again, it would negate the safety feature of the one push door unlock.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Blue Oval said:
Just checked mine (2011):

The switch on the dash is in the unlocked setting.
One push on the key fob (lock button) locks all the doors and the hatch CAN NOT be opened by using the external switch under the handle.
Double push on the fob yields the same results plus beeps the horn. Hatch can NOT be opened externally.

When locked, one push on the fob's unlock button only unlocks the driver's door. Hatch and other three can NOT be externally opened.
Two pushes on the fob's unlock button unlocks everything and all can be externally opened.

When locked, one push on the fob's hatch button opens it (as expected) and one push on the same button then closes it and it is then locked and will not open manually by using the external button under the handle.
Just to add to the thread: I followed Blue Oval's steps and verified the same operation on our 2009.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
kidsenclave said:
It has to be this way, because the whole purpose of the one push, two push on the door locks is for people who are alone, and don't want the other 3 doors (and in this case, the tailgate) to be unlocked when they are entering the vehicle by themselves, and perhaps at night, etc. It would serve no purpose to have the tailgate be unlocked with just one push on the keyfob...again, it would negate the safety feature of the one push door unlock.
I agree. This is a common safety feature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing