EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The text from the TSB is copied below. If you try to drive off with the liftgate up you'll get an aural warning...if you watch it start closing and it reverses and opens fully, no aural warning just a DIC message. I back into my garage, threw kid 2's hockey equipment in, push lift gate button after I got in the car, only "aural" warning I got was when the liftgate made LOUD contact with the garage door. Some slight damage, just enough to piss me off. :angryfire:

This has happened to me several times when I drive off after dropping a kid and stuff off but hadn't happened coming out of the garage. I now wait until I get a latch before departing...be careful out there!

Think the TSB covers damage to the car ??? or does that come under the common sense heading. I had a Sienna for several years with the power liftgate, it beeped as it was closing and never reversed for no reason, I got used to that and trusted it!

Make: BUICK
Model: ENCLAVE
Year: 2008

Service Bulletin Number: 4214
NHTSA Item Number: 10021940
Summary Description:
POWER REAR LIFTGATE REVERSES WHEN CLOSING. *KB

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the warning john, I noticed something odd yesterday morning when I went to work. My tailgate was partly opened (raised about a third to half way up). I don't know why it was open, and nobody in my family was in the back for anything. I checked for damage to see if it raised all the way and then came down, but nothing. ??? ???

I guess if it happens again I'll have to check the latch when it shuts to see if it is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
ARGHH, Johnt my wife experienced this yesterday and I told her she was nuts until I went out and saw it do it again. How do they fix it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've never tried to drive off while the lift gate was closing, but my main concern with lift gate is it hitting my garage door, while my garage door is open. I wish the lift gate had a 3/4 open setting. That way we could pull in the garage when unloading groceries.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
My solution is to turn off the power liftgate when I'm in the garage, and back on when outside. Kludgy, but it works.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheKings said:
I've never tried to drive off while the lift gate was closing, but my main concern with lift gate is it hitting my garage door, while my garage door is open. I wish the lift gate had a 3/4 open setting. That way we could pull in the garage when unloading groceries.
You could back in like I do, just duct tape that baby shut before driving out!!

I have had it lose its' mind midway at times, just stops and stays there....

·
Registered
19 Posts
My lift gate has a mind of its' own!! I'll come out of my office to find it half open. In the garage, in the morning, half open. Sporadic behavior. I'll be sitting in the car with it in park and it will open on its' own. Sometimes the power button on the lift gate doesn't work. No rhyme, or reason. And if I bring it it to the dealer, I am sure to hear "we can't replicate the problem". This is my fourth car with power lift gate and never had a problem with the previous three. Are three any TSB's on this. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
mr4enclave said:
My lift gate has a mind of its' own!! I'll come out of my office to find it half open. In the garage, in the morning, half open. Sporadic behavior. I'll be sitting in the car with it in park and it will open on its' own. Sometimes the power button on the lift gate doesn't work. No rhyme, or reason. And if I bring it it to the dealer, I am sure to hear "we can't replicate the problem". This is my fourth car with power lift gate and never had a problem with the previous three. Are three any TSB's on this. Thanks in advance!
Thats definitly not good to come out from work to find it open. I have not heard of any TSBs on this site as of yet. You may have tried this, but there is a reset procedure described in the manual that you may want to look at. It involves a series of manual opening and closing...just a thought and I apologize if you have tried this already.

·
Registered
344 Posts
mr4enclave, as my previous post notes here, mine has done this also! Although only once so far. I guess I'm going to have to keep the switch in the "off" position for the liftgate, will that prevent this from happening? It worries me, especially if shopping and stuff is in the back. Can you say, "help yourselves, thieves!" :help:

It will be difficult to remember the off and on switch. My husband had it off and I wasn't aware, and when I came out from WalMart I pressed the liftgate button on my key fob and it just flashed lights but didn't lift the gate. I thought something was wrong until I realized he had it in the off position.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also had the same liftgate problem a couple of weeks ago. Operated fine for several months but got so the only way I could open was with the dash switch or key fob.

One morning got up and noticed the hatch was half open and a few minutes later when I was out shoveling snow I saw the liftgate opening and closing by itself. The dealer replaced the switch and has been ok but now the down switch on the gate doesn't or never has worked so back to the dealer again. The lift switch still doesn't feel very positive but I get by.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
johnb said:
the down switch on the gate doesn't or never has worked so back to the dealerw again. The lift switch still doesn't feel very positive but I get by.
Are you talking about the one on the gate itself? I'm sure you have checked to make sure the dash switch isn't in the off position right?

I have had trouble with mine reversing while closing since new. Once, I was in a hurry and closed the gate with dash switch and without warning (literaly, there is no warning if the gate decides to go back up) I went charging out of my garage (which I back into). The gate contacted my garage door and scratched and dented the gate, $437.00 worth, still waiting to get fixed. Although my fault for hurrying, after years of a power gate on a Toyota I expected to close, GM should but won't take the blame!

Also, if you follow some of the NHTSA links in the TSB section there is a listing for a TSB that says "gate reverses when closing" but my dealer couldn't find anything on it (very convenient). I hope someone with more knowledge can come up with the TSB so I can try to get some compensation!

·
Registered
31 Posts
johnt26, thanks for the additional liftgate info. I didn't know until recently that I had a down switch on the liftgate. It definitley does not work and the dash switch is on.

I would prefer the old fashion way of a good solid mechanical, manual operation.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
JohnT I had the problem with it reversing as it went down. The dealer inormed there is a fix and it is a TSB. He told me the fix is that they hit the latch with a rubber hammer because it is jutted out a tad too far and the sensor catches it thus reversing itself. I had that fix done a few weeks ago and it hasn't occurred since that time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello....

Have any of your lift gate exerperinces resolved? Or are you still experiencing the reversing issue? My mother just bought a 2008 Enclave (less than 2 weeks ago) and the lift gate opened while the car was in motion at 35 mph the day after she took delivery....there were no warning chimes or indication that "any" door was open....when we pulled over, we couldn't get it to "stay" closed....it kept reversing - eventually closed on it's own.

if it did resolve, what was your final "diagnosis?"

Turning off the lift gate and leaving it as manual is "not" an option for her....she can't reach the lift gate, but likes the car and it is easy to load and unload her walker...the Enclave drives so nicely, we had no idea the lift gate was open until a car, honking their horn, pulled up besides us at the traffic light to tell us...............

it's been at the dealer more than with her since she bought it.....

MyEnclave

·
Registered
83 Posts
How do you turn off the liftgate to open it manually in a garage? Can this actually be done? I would love to unload groceries in the garage on a rainy day without damaging the rear door.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
snoopy said:
How do you turn off the liftgate to open it manually in a garage? Can this actually be done? I would love to unload groceries in the garage on a rainy day without damaging the rear door.
You use the button on the center dash stack...Pushing the button half of the button allows you to operate the rear gate manually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
bsox
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing