EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Lift gate strut replacement-DYI???

24K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  jdens 
#1 ·
I did a "super search" looking for anyone that posted a "how to" replace a bad strut in the lift gate of my 08 (hey...that rhymes...). Has anyone had to do this on their own yet, or did you just take it in? I replaced one many years ago on another car, and for some reason, it never worked properly. Could be that I was the installer..... This is one of the many parts that I think should work perfectly at all times. My wife's head, and by extension, my head rests in the balance..... If anyone has some info, I would sure appreciate any help! I would like to get er' done this weekend. :cheers:
Thanks!
Jim

#2 ·
I have not done it.

But I removed the hood strut on my sisters Lucerne... and it was a C clip looking clip that I removed on both ends...

If my Traverse are similar--- I wouldnt hesitate to replace them myself.

(Id also put a stick up to help prop up the tailgate)

#3 ·
Just make sure if you replace them, that they are orientated the correct way. There actually is a top and bottom when they are installed. If you have the factory originals still on, note their orientation before removing them. If installed incorrectly, they could malfunction and not support the weight.

#8 ·
Thanks Guys!! After taking a closer look at it, there is indeed just a "C" clip that holds it in place. The hardest part was finding a replacement in stock...in fact...no luck. I had to order some..about $70 for the pair. I will be sure to witness the original alignment of the apparatus in question, thus insuring the correct north/south alignment for the newly procured replacement thingie. :confused:

#10 ·
jdens said:
Thanks Guys!! After taking a closer look at it, there is indeed just a "C" clip that holds it in place. The hardest part was finding a replacement in stock...in fact...no luck. I had to order some..about $70 for the pair. I will be sure to witness the original alignment of the apparatus in question, thus insuring the correct north/south alignment for the newly procured replacement thingie. :confused:
Be sure to get the polarity right, too. :happy: Good luck. Let us know how it turns out for you.

#11 ·
I did have mine fail pretty quickly under warranty. It would raise the lift gate and then slowly, the gate would come down. Haven't had to do anything with them since then.

#12 ·
Ok..I successfully replaced both lift gate struts, being mindful of polarity and other suggested technical terms. Lift gate worked fine for a while, but now, the third strut (left side, about 2 to 3 inches to the right of the outer left strut :confused:) seems to be failing. Lift gate goes up, but about half way up, gate visibly drops a bit and a distinct "clunk" is heard. As lift gate continues to go up, it will eventually open all the way, but then that inner most strut seems to slip at the bottom (the area where the slip seem to occur is actually hidden behind the interior siding of the cargo area). After this last tragic slip and another "Clunk" the gate makes a hasty retreat and falls back to earth, potentially taking my now dismembered cranium with it. When the original struts went out, the gate opened up normal and smooth. Once opened, you could hear the struts slowing giving way under the weight, but it was a smooth fall with no "clunks." Any ideas out there? I have googled and googled looking for the exact part number to replace that mysterious 3rd strut, but I have not been able to find a blow up picture showing that part.

Enclave gods....AWAKE! A mortal needs your help!

Jim

#13 ·
I'm not sure which strut you are talking about. There are only 2 actual lift "struts" on the liftgate. The third shorter arm is not a gas-filled strut but is actually the arm for the power liftgate motor. In other words the 2 long struts have gas in them that help to raise the load of the liftgate (this is normal operation if the power liftgate is disabled, or on vehicles that don't have power liftgates). The other "arm" is connected to the liftgate on one end and a motor on the other -- this is the arm that mechanically lifts the gate when the power lift motor is engaged. Is that the one that is binding?

Hope that makes sense ...

#14 ·
Never had struts replaced but had other problems with the gate. Every time the dealer worked on it they reprogramed the gate. Since he has other problems now, maybe that is the answer, reprograming?

#15 ·
sklunk said:
I'm not sure which strut you are talking about. There are only 2 actual lift "struts" on the liftgate. The third shorter arm is not a gas-filled strut but is actually the arm for the power liftgate motor. In other words the 2 long struts have gas in them that help to raise the load of the liftgate (this is normal operation if the power liftgate is disabled, or on vehicles that don't have power liftgates). The other "arm" is connected to the liftgate on one end and a motor on the other -- this is the arm that mechanically lifts the gate when the power lift motor is engaged. Is that the one that is binding?

Hope that makes sense ...
Yep, that's the one. I wonder if the whole motor for the lift is going? The reason I assumed it was a replaceable strut is that the top is attached with a "c" clip, just like the other actual struts. If it looks and sounds like a duck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.