EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
wemiles said:
As an aside, when I saw what the liftgate was doing that first night -- cycling motors and all that -- my first thought was this would explain some of the dead battery mysteries. Let that go on for a week or so and the battery wouldn't start the car.

Re: the liftgate. Now it's developed a whole new level of malfunction. The switch above the license plate only occasionally works and the one on the edge of the liftgate doesn't work at all. Neither does the dash control. This sounds more like a bad switch or motor than something correctable by a software patch.

I'm giving Buick one more chance to fix this then it's off to the Ford dealer to trade it for a Lincoln MKT.
:tard: You do realize that the MKT has even more electronic stuff on it....good luck with that one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
MKT starts at about $45K.. cheaper to fix the liftgate.. ???

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's your switch.... I had the same thing happen at first I thought someone was screwing with me and had another remote like mine but after a long time trying to trouble shoot the dealer finally realized that the switch had gotten wet. I just can't for the life of me know why switches that are subject to moisture are not "potted" from the factory I don't know if the second was or not because it was under warranty but if I ever have to do it on my nickle it will be....... my front switch could shut of the back one from functioning at random at least until we figured out what was going on. my Enclave reminds me of the movie Christine mine definitely has a mind of its own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 09 E and had a possessed liftgate, which luckily showed its stuff in the intake bay of my local dealership (caused quite a crowd to gather!). Dealer determined it was a short in the liftgate and I have not had issues with it since they repaired it. A friend had the same issue with her 08 E and when she took it in (same dealership), they knew exactly what to do. She wasn't too worried, because I had described our adventure to her, so when her E started doing the same thing, she was not caught off guard.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Why don't they do a recall for this, so we don't all have to cross our fingers that it doesn't happen to us? Is there any factor they are saying causes this, perhaps a particular weather condition, or particular situation that we can avoid?

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Good points, Kids. I also wonder if there are some Enclaves with a faulty part from a defective batch or if there is an assembly line issue affecting only some of our cars. Hopefully someone with some inside knowledge is available to enlighten us about this concern. ???

·
Registered
48 Posts
The switch underneath the black rubber pad on the bottom, interior edge of our liftgate was intermittently malfunctioning. Then the center dashboard switch refused to open the liftgate as did the button on the remote..

Took the '09 to our dealer and they replaced the switch under the black rubber pad and while they had it in the shop the liftgate began opening all by itself ! They then consulted with GM rep and were told to also order and install a new manual handle which is also a switch just above the rear license plate. So far, that seems to have solved the overall problem. They made no mention of a TSB or a re-programming, just parts replacements.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Manual handle? That's interesting, I've said all the time that this touchpad being the only way to unlatch the gate may not be a good design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2010 Enclave that is about 3 months old with about 3,00 miles on it. My wife absolutely loves this vehicle, but it has the liftgate problem that is is driving her crazy.
It started about 2 weeks ago with the gate not opening via the remote key fob. The gate was slightly open, but still latched. If we pushed it all the way shut it would then open
via the fob, touch pad or the IP switch. It did not happen very often.
It then started opening fully without any activation effort from any switch. I witnessed this when I was in the garage working on my lawn mower. All keys were either laying on a counter top or on a shelf, so there was no inadvertent switch actuation.
We then graduated to noticing the interior lights on and the "Liftgate Open Warning Message" Llight appearing on the I.P. The gate was not up, but on the secondary latch position.
I turned the system off via the I.P. switch thinking that we would take the vehicle in for an inspection/repair ASAP as this occurred on a weekend. Prior to that happening the system now does not function at all; The gate is closed and will not open from any switch!
The vehicle is now at the closest Buick dealer although their Service Department claims that they have never heard of this problem before, so I am not too confident that they will be successful.
Thanks a lot for having this forum. I will alert the dealer to the TSB and keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Hey, it's so nice this old thread was resurrected so we can get our minds off all the timing chain drama. :D

I just thought of something after reading the above posts. I had told of my Enclave locking it's doors by itself a few weeks ago. Now...one thing we did that day was use the spare set of keys and fob. Could it be that some of the FOBS are to blame? We never had that issue till we had used that other one that day. Sure, this is not the tailgate issue, but wondering....just wondering if these other problems people have had with their gates might be because they use both fobs, and maybe one of them is bad? Maybe my spare one is bad? :eek: (geez, I don't want to use it now....LOL)

GoldEnclave said:
Good points, Kids. I also wonder if there are some Enclaves with a faulty part from a defective batch or if there is an assembly line issue affecting only some of our cars. Hopefully someone with some inside knowledge is available to enlighten us about this concern. ???
:D You love that "bad batch" theory, huh Gold? Just like the chains..... :happy: ( I know...it's about 2 years ago since you posted that...had to pick on you a little... :poke:)

But to answer stingray....no, I don't believe there's yet to be anything come around the forum about the cause and or solution to this issue...and it's been 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Bad batches? I said that? I write posts that suggest the possibility of bad batches leading to problems? Me? :happy:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Well guess what guys (and gals)? This problem is not just on the Lambdas. Someone at church today, who has a Terrain, mentioned to me about the tailgate opening by itself. I told her about the same thing happening to Enclaves and other Lambdas, but didn't know the Thetas had the same issue. I told her about the switch maybe getting wet...and fwiw....she parks it outside. She also has had issue with the bluetooth....and she has a sunroof....but is unaware of any leaks so far. I did a search on the Terrain and Equinox forums and didn't find anything. I would be willing to guess there are cases.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Kids, if the hardware is shared, it is certainly plausible that the thetas could suffer from similar liftgate bugs as the lambdas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2008 Enclave and when the liftgate opened by itself, it hit the garage door and caused alot of damage to the liftgate. Of course the dealer "never saw this before" and someone must have hit the keyfob. The customer is always wrong. Very frustrating. GM never admitted there was a problem nor did they ever correct my issue. What a relief when i sold it.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You won't be sorry. That's a very nice car...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts