EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Lockpick Gen 4 - didn't need all the extra stuff in the Big Daddy 320 model.

I watched the installation video - more than once. I read the instructions (way too simplistic). Then, I figured I was ready... But I REALLY didn't believe it would be that easy.

Backed the car out of the garage into the light at 1:40. I didn't want to scratch the panel cover with a screwdriver, so I simply pulled it off - not too hard to do. I removed the 4 hex screws holding the radio/nav in place, and had it out in just a couple of minutes (thieves take note: you can have an Enclave nav out and be gone in less than 2 minutes!).

The instructions say to remove the brown and black connectors from the back of the radio. Well, there are TWO black ones! By inspecting the keyed connectors, I determined it had to be the outside one. (There are four connectors - left to right as you face the rear of the radio, they are black, black, gray, brown).

I removed the two connectors from the radio, and connected the Lockpick connectors to the radio cables. Then I plugged in the brown one. Then the black one. Suddenly, a machine-gun noise came from inside the radio!! :eek: It lasted for about 3 seconds, during which I thought I had burned up the whole thing! So I removed the Lockpick connectors, replaced the factory connectors, and the same sound came from the radio! I turned the ignition key on, and the nav started up, thank God!

So, maybe the noise is okay, I thought (They should tell you to expect that! It would be much less frightening!). I re-did the Lockpick connectors, let the machine gun stop rattling, then powered on the ignition - NOTHING! Back to the factory connections, and the nav came up with a black screen that displayed "12:00" in the bottom-right of the screen. I pressed several of the nav buttons, and nothing happened! :banghead: Again, I thought I had killed it. Finally, I pressed the power button, and voila!, a nav screen!

Then I thought "Maybe I need to connect the LockPick, not just the cables, before it will come on...?" So, back to the Lockpick installation, with the Lockpick attached... Car on... I got the black screen with 12:00 displayed. Pressed the power button, and Wow! It came on!! (Mind you, the nav comes on very slowly sometimes - 5-8 seconds - makes one worry :confused: ) Then I went to the time display and reset the time. So far, so good!

So, I finally had it working (not road tested, but apparently working). It isn't easy to get back together - the cables have to be routed down from the back of the radio, then the Lockpick squeezed in... it all fits, though! :thumb:

Time? Just after 2:00. Even with all the disconnect/reconnect cycles, it was done in less than 30 minutes. Would have been 10-12 minutes if the instructions would have covered these points:

1) There are 4 connectors, two of which are black. Use the one nearest to the outside of the radio.
2) There will be a machine-gun noise when you plug in the black connector - that's okay.
3) The Lockpick has to be connected to the wiring harness before the unit will work.
4) When the ignition first turns on, the unit does NOT -- press the power button.
5) Set the time.

Most of all, be PATIENT! That was my worst failing - I just saw a black screen, or no screen, and backed up to the factory connections too soon.

So it is installed, but I haven't tried it yet on the road - I'll report back when I give it a live test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice writeup......I am slowly but surely heading down this road as well - I'll probably be getting the 320 though.  Thanks for the gotchas!  Those noises would definitely have scared the sh** out of me.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Great info! Maybe a supid question here, but shouldn't you disconnect the power to the vehicle before you start rooting around in the dashboard? ???

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
None of this would be necessary if the darned nav would allow inputs while moving. It really is ridiculous that you can't enter new locations while moving. Pretty much a PIA to pull over and stop to work with the nav which is designed to be interactive while you are moving. I find it more dangerous pulling over on the shoulder than it woul dbe to push a few buttons. Yes I know it is done this way for safety, but it certainly is not a law, but a GM choice as my Pilot locked out nothing and I think we all feel that Honda products are designed with good safety features.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You should disconnect the battery before changing out any electrical equipment. This is so if you drop your screwdriver down a hole, you don't see fireworks from the possible electrical short.

Having said that, no one wears safety glasses and hearing protection when they mow. No one grounds their satellite dish. No one goes to the trouble of disconnecting their battery. Disasters happen to "other" people.

I got the GMX-320 because I thought I had too. Oh well.. The unit fits so tight in the compartment I had to force the radio back in.

I love my Lock Pick. The two features I can't live without are the video while driving (I only do that to skip over commercials on DVD's), and I also love being able to unlock the Nav POI scroll down button so I can see more restaurants and gas stations than show on the first page of results for a "Close to POI" lookup.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to unlock menus in XM.

Install pictures in my gallery. I would buy Lock Pick products again in a second.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tralfaz said:
Great info! Maybe a supid question here, but shouldn't you disconnect the power to the vehicle before you start rooting around in the dashboard? ???
Clave Man said:
You should disconnect the battery before changing out any electrical equipment. This is so if you drop your screwdriver down a hole, you don't see fireworks from the possible electrical short.
Okay, Clave , I saw your photos, but no mention of the things I ran into. I suppose there are almost as many experiences as experiencers. Anyway, I agree there may be some wisdom in disconnecting the battery, but I defy you to find an exposed bare wire or connector in the maze of wires, harnesses, and connectors to cause a short.

Nothing can happen to me! :hot: :hot: :angel:

Bottom line is that the installation could be done in a snap as long as you know what can happen along the way, and what to do... The installation instructions could benefit from your photos and my comments.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2MuchCoffee said:
Is "W" a worry or not?
Probably not. After today, I think I could remove the Lockpick within minutes and don't think there would be any residual evidence (I didn't run the blue wire to the backup camera).

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Results report: The Lockpick Gen 4 works as advertised! Finally, one of my major complaints about the Enclave is neutralized! It's getting closer and closer to being the perfect car for me! :cheers: (Still, I can complain about the transmission, the wind noise, and the fuel economy). :help:

Clave Man said:
The only thing I haven't figured out is how to unlock menus in XM.
My XM unlocks along with my nav controls... I don't have to press any more buttons or hold my tongue just right to enable the menus. :confused:

For me, this is one add-on which is/will be very much worthwhile!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Hey great job and thanks for all the info. I really want to do this, but am still hesitant...How many buttons do you have to push to unlock the nav and do you have to do it each time you start up (I would assume so). It just seeems complicated when you read about it, but does it seem so now that you have it all working? I also forgot the cost?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's really very simple, bsox. Press the mute button 4 times within 6 seconds (sometimes I'm too fast - youth , I guess), and the nav (and the XM tuning) is unlocked. Until you re-lock it (if you really want to - I never do) by pressing the window lock button once. That's it...

If you want to watch a DVD, press the window lock 4 times. I haven't done that yet.

It doesn't interfere with the operation of the radio or nav at all, something I was a little worried about.

Rocky

·
Registered
171 Posts
bsox said:
None of this would be necessary if the darned nav would allow inputs while moving. It really is ridiculous that you can't enter new locations while moving. Pretty much a PIA to pull over and stop to work with the nav which is designed to be interactive while you are moving. I find it more dangerous pulling over on the shoulder than it woul dbe to push a few buttons. Yes I know it is done this way for safety, but it certainly is not a law, but a GM choice as my Pilot locked out nothing and I think we all feel that Honda products are designed with good safety features.
This is not just a GM choice. I've had a Lexus, Mercedes, and Chrysler with navs that all did the same lockout thing. Maybe they should program it so that if there is someone sitting in the passenger seat, the nav won't get locked out while moving. I'm not saying you're not a safe driver or anything, but look at the majority of people driving out there. Nine times out of ten you can tell when someone is on a cell phone just by the way they're driving. Most important thing is for drivers to concentrate on what they're doing...driving - not talking on a cell phone, texting, or playing with their navs.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
jr7243 said:
This is not just a GM choice. I've had a Lexus, Mercedes, and Chrysler with navs that all did the same lockout thing. Maybe they should program it so that if there is someone sitting in the passenger seat, the nav won't get locked out while moving. I'm not saying you're not a safe driver or anything, but look at the majority of people driving out there. Nine times out of ten you can tell when someone is on a cell phone just by the way they're driving. Most important thing is for drivers to concentrate on what they're doing...driving - not talking on a cell phone, texting, or playing with their navs.
Yes all good points. The passenger thing has been brought up before, there is even a poll on it...However, I would still ask why my Pilot nav and XM radio locked out nothing. Would you not agree that one of the many things Honda is known for is safety????? Also when I have had to input info it is usually because I am lost (or always for if I were not lost I would not need the nav) and again pulling over on a shoulder in the middle of nowhere (see above lost comment) is more dangerous than pushing a few buttons IMHO.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would be interesting to me to see some statistics (if you can believe stats) on how many accidents happened because someone in their Honda/Acura was programming their nav while driving. I would hazard a guess that it is almost a non-issue!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would hazard to guess the percentage would be equivalent to those calling on their cell phones without hands free. It does increase the risk.

That being said, I always carry my cell phone and will install my GMX-320...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Excellent write-up rockyp...appreciate your attention to detail.

Now a tech question...what are the differences between the Gen-4 and GMX-320?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check the Coastal ETech Site:
http://www.coastaletech.com/acadia.htm

It states the following:
NEW GEN 4 LOCKPICK $249.00
STANDARD DVD/AUX/NAV UNLOCK
FULL NAV AND VIDEO OPERATION WHILE IN MOTION

GMX-320 LOCKPICK $349.00
STANDARD DVD/AUX/NAV UNLOCK WHILE IN MOTION+
FULL DUAL MULTIMEDIA WITH A/V INPUTS +
BLUETOOTH PHONE KIT INPUT INCUDED +
FACTORY CAMERA CONTROL WHILE IN DRIVE

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Jake_99 said:
I would hazard to guess the percentage would be equivalent to those calling on their cell phones without hands free. It does increase the risk.

That being said, I always carry my cell phone and will install my GMX-320...
Yes, this concerns me also. Not everyone (even Enclave drivers ) is 100% responsible with how they use their electronics. People die. Thus the Cell-phone law in many states, and now the "no DVD display, except Navigation, allowed on front dash", while driving law, is active, in many states. Fines are very large. Expect Ins. co to find stats and push for more laws. Of course, no law is fool-proof, and fools will always prove it!

The idea of "no Nav control while in drive, UNLESS front passenger seat is also occupied" (air bag sensor used!) sounds good. Some goof-ball will put a rock or something there, I'm sure, but that's the expensive price of a free society. Honda is just one good lawsuit away from changing their electronics, IMHO. Not to sound preachy, but, we should remember that our children/grandchildren watch us closely, and emulate our behavior, even when driving. My $.02

Drive safely and enjoy your Enclave. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Yes, this concerns me also. Not everyone (even Enclave drivers ) is 100% responsible with how they use their electronics. People die. Thus the Cell-phone law in many states, and now the "no DVD display, except Navigation, allowed on front dash", while driving law, is active, in many states. Fines are very large. Expect Ins. co to find stats and push for more laws. Of course, no law is fool-proof, and fools will always prove it!

The idea of "no Nav control while in drive, UNLESS front passenger seat is also occupied" (air bag sensor used!) sounds good. Some goof-ball will put a rock or something there, I'm sure, but that's the expensive price of a free society. Honda is just one good lawsuit away from changing their electronics, IMHO. Not to sound preachy, but, we should remember that our children/grandchildren watch us closely, and emulate our behavior, even when driving. My $.02

Drive safely and enjoy your Enclave. :thumb:
I am sorry, you have been around this site longer than I have and I respect your opinions and the body of your posts, but I could not disagree more on this one. You can't legislate safety, we have laws upon laws upon laws and I am tired of my entire life being legislated. I am the one that said I would put a bag of rock salt in the passenger seat so I could use my nav and I would so I guess put me in the goof ball category. I have been driving now for 33 years with no accidents and one speeding ticket I got in college on my 400cc kawasaki commuter bike. I still contend it is a lot more dangerous for me to try and pull over somewhere to use my navigation. What exactly is the point of having one that I can't use unless I am sitting still. My god, if we design something like that, at least make it voice activated so we can control it without looking at it so people like you who are worried about me driving while pushing some buttons will be appeased and I can use my navigation without the fear of being rear ended on the shoulder of the road, just my 2 cents.

PS cant wait to install my lockpick before they make that illegal...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Even with hand-free laws, plenty of people violate it. ****, murder is against the law but thousands get murdered each year. It is like saying cars kill people, not the people driving their cars recklessly. Just another example of the drop in personal responsibility. We can no longer be responsible people, the government needs to legislate our responsibility. What a crock.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It is unfortunate that the government has to treat everyone like children, but the realty is, most people could care less about the next person. As someone who drives around with two young children a lot, its fantastic that in NJ, the police can now pull people over for having a cell phone to their ear without any other violation occurring. So many people are bad drivers to begin with. So with that, I'm happy to know that someone can't type in an address on their oem nav screen while going down the Turnpike at 75-80mph. It's only a matter of time before the next thing to get a law is the tiny 3" portable navs that you have to reach over to your windshield for.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts