EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this online. You can hook it up and still keep factory connected...apparently, it is a separate hookup. Has data display window for functions including remote start. Supposedly increases range a lot. Price is $148 or they advertise installed for $198. Interior antenna mounts to windshield behind rearview mirror. Any thoughts on this:

http://www.autofxonline.com/gmremoteupgrade.htm

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I don't know anything about this product, but it amazes me that other companies can come up with products like the Ipod lockpick, now this remote, etc. that GM has been promising us for the last year and have left us hanging on the PAL and the remote....

·
Registered
35 Posts
My remote works from a couple of feet away - useless!
I remember my sister-in-law using hers on her Tahoe from inside the hockey arena and the other day walking with friends he hit his remote and I could see his car lights go on - almost two blocks away (Chysler Jeep) so why is the Enclaves so useless?
Why should we have to pay another $150 to have it upgraded to it works from a distance as it was supposed to?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scobre said:
I remember my sister-in-law using hers on her Tahoe from inside the hockey arena and the other day walking with friends he hit his remote and I could see his car lights go on - almost two blocks away (Chysler Jeep) so why is the Enclaves so useless?
Why should we have to pay another $150 to have it upgraded to it works from a distance as it was supposed to?
$150 if you know how to install it yourself...take it to the dealer and add another $200 minimum onto that $150.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
bondguy said:
$150 if you know how to install it yourself...take it to the dealer and add another $200 minimum onto that $150.

Hi scobre . Are you aware of a Service bulletin for the Enclave re: range of remote transmitter?? The Onstar antenna wire foil is too close to the remote's wire (behind dash) and they wrap it or move it and Voila!! Fix works well according to others here. I get 10-15 car lengths on mine. ;D

I checked the remote BondGuy linked above and it is $150 with 1 remote included. It WILL NOT indicate an Alarm in progress however (not sure even the GM one does that?) as listed. it is a 4 wire hook-up (power, ground,data bus, antenna, and not very hard, but some trim must be removed. I have a security background and I feel it is a good alternative to the GM for the price, but you won't get the Tire pressure readings and fuel etc. Just door status, eng running/not running, alarm on/off.
I'd go GM now that it's available ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
scobre said:
I assume you are exaggerating. My original equipment fob almost always worked if the Enclave was in clear sight, up to a block away. Or, from a third floor motel room, 10-15 cars down the lot. That was cold, clear weather; good line of sight to the right rear window (under which the antenna resides).

If your fob really doesn't work from more than a few yards away, that's not normal. Get it fixed!

·
Registered
35 Posts
MY REMOTE WORKS FROM NO MORE THAN 5 FEET FROM THE CAR

My friend hit his whle we were walking down the street. His car was in a parking garage a LONG block away it it started his car.

I have had no recalls re the remote... interesting. In fact I've had one minor recall, period. It was very minor and done when the oil change was done when car was new.

Today while driving and stopped on a hill, I took foot off excelerator and the car began rolling backwards. It should NOT do that. I remember once when that happened to my mothers car and it had to be repaired.

Guess I need to get to my dealers !!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
scobre said:
MY REMOTE WORKS FROM NO MORE THAN 5 FEET FROM THE CAR

My friend hit his whle we were walking down the street. His car was in a parking garage a LONG block away it it started his car.

I have had no recalls re the remote... interesting. In fact I've had one minor recall, period. It was very minor and done when the oil change was done when car was new.

Today while driving and stopped on a hill, I took foot off excelerator and the car began rolling backwards. It should NOT do that. I remember once when that happened to my mothers car and it had to be repaired.

Guess I need to get to my dealers !!!
I think what Smokin was referring to is not a recall, but a service bulletin that goes out to the dealers so that when you go in and complain about a poor range on your remote, they look this up on the computer and have a bulletin from Buick on the problem and how to fix it. In this case they go behind the radio I believe and wrap the antenna in some special foil which apparently insulates if from surrounding electronics and it increases the range. I think Papopo had this done if you want to ask him if it helped.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
bsox said:
I think what Smokin was referring to is not a recall, but a service bulletin that goes out to the dealers so that when you go in and complain about a poor range on your remote, they look this up on the computer and have a bulletin from Buick on the problem and how to fix it. In this case they go behind the radio I believe and wrap the antenna in some special foil which apparently insulates if from surrounding electronics and it increases the range. I think Papopo had this done if you want to ask him if it helped.

Bsox nailed it. One of the many helpful critters here. ;)

But in addition, scobre laments "..................Today while driving and stopped on a hill, I took foot off acccelerator and the car began rolling backwards. It should NOT do that. I remember once when that happened to my mothers car and it had to be repaired.
Guess I need to get to my dealers !!! "

No, this is normal, but never the less, a very important safety issue for Enclave . (and most vehicles today). Some autos DO have Hill Assist or other iterations and a great deal of data and discussion on it can be found here @

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2204.msg28344#msg28344

I found it same conditions as my other GM autos and easy to handle, once aware of. :thumb: Wish it had a "HillHolder" in it tho.

You are always able to use the forum Search feature (while on the General Discussion screen) to find tons of data on this forum. If you don't see a relevant thread found, re-word the Search words as it is a bit particular! Also, you can always just ask! Someone will advise if it has been discussed/resolved before (ignore the cranky guys) and you'll be on your way :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts