EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
No issue with this on my 2013, currently 177K. If oil is changed regularly should not be an issue on a 2015. This was more of an issue on earlier gen 1's. Ask for service history or carfax

·
Registered
2021 Enclave Premium AWD Dark Slate Metallic
219 Posts
How many miles on the Enclave you are looking at. I had a 15 that was perfect for 50000 miles when i traded it. The E is a really nice car. If it is pushing 90000 or higher it may require a bit of maintenance, more than is required in a lower milage E. If you like the car i would buy the extended warranty that could save you money in the long run. i liked my 15 so much i bought a 21. The timing chain will not be a issue if the oil was changed in a timely manner. i agree with the response above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many miles on the Enclave you are looking at. I had a 15 that was perfect for 50000 miles when i traded it. The E is a really nice car. If it is pushing 90000 or higher it may require a bit of maintenance, more than is required in a lower milage E. If you like the car i would buy the extended warranty that could save you money in the long run. i liked my 15 so much i bought a 21. The timing chain will not be a issue if the oil was changed in a timely manner. i agree with the response above.
Here are the two I am looking at, also I am a Mechanic so working on them would not be a problem.
2015 Buick Enclave Premium 4WD Mileage: 93,000 mi
2017 Buick Enclave Premium 4WD Mileage: 65,000 mi

·
Registered
463 Posts
If it helps. Here are some issues I have had with my 2013. BCM needed reprogrammed due to it failing into limp mode, This took GM a while to figure out, from around 28K to almost 50K. Note much else until later. I don't remember the mileage but the rear ac fan motor failed. At around 130K the torque converter failed. More recent I found a broken motor mount and transmission mount, this was not far off the current mileage.

I have had to replace the brakes around every 50K and did a full tune up and replaced the front struts and rear shocks around 100K. The info buttons under the radio can be finicky sometimes and the dealer replaced it but it did not help. They work but sometimes I have to press them a few times.

This really is a great vehicle if properly maintains as in any other, and is why I purchased my 2020. Good luck with what ever you buy

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you're already looking at a 2017, why not look at a 2018? Then you don't have any of the potential issues of the previous generation, and you get all the benefits of the current generation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi, we have a 2014 that we bought four years old with 45,000 miles. We currently have 108,000. It has been very reliable. We have had to do the following over the past four years / 63,000 miles that we've owned it - replace half shaft, at 75k, replace tires a few times, had a check engine light which required some troubleshooting on my part. I replaced the gas cap and the purge valve (the purge valve solved the problem). Replaced a battery once. Replaced the breaks front and back once. Had to replace the PCV valve as we had an oil burn issue. We are still burning oil, but this seems to have slowed down once we changed the PCV valve. Some AC issues that have required a recharge twice - but no major service yet - the AC is known to be somewhat problematic. We also had to replace a stuck rear caliper. For this kind of mileage over four years - I am very pleased. I do oil changes every 4-5k. I've done the maintenance on schedule and have done coolant and ATF fluid. I've spent about $6,100 in maintenance and repairs in the 52 months that we've owned it. That works out to about $1,400 a year in maintenance and repair expenses or about $115 a month. I'd buy it all over again if I had to do it. Plus these engines are good (but do burn oil). People are pretty typically getting 175,000+ on these engines with good maintenance.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You really need to be careful buying one of these used. Check out some videos from Car Wizard, a mechanic who works on them:

You may want to even check out Scotty Kilmer too, and research the problems these vehicles have. The problem with buying used is that it's a bigger gamble than buying new, and you're hoping the previous owner took care of the vehicle. If they didn't, you could be in for some expensive surprises.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Eh . . . the car wizard and Scotty Kilmer are into Japanese cars - they love Toyota and Honda. I get it. The Japanese make really good reliable cars. I even checked and see that 7 year old Enclaves and 7 year old Honda Pilots with 105,000 or similar in my area go for about the same price - $15,000. So it all depends on what you like. For us, my wife just really liked the Enclave. We've had few problems with it. Granted, we may have had fewer problems with a Honda or Toyota, but my wife liked this car and wanted this more than a Honda Pilot. To each his own as they say. I think the earlier Enclaves were more prone to significant problems, but I think by 2013, 2014 and 2015 they basically got the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
962 Posts
I believe if Full Synthetic oil is used, the lubrication on the chains is superior. I had an 08 Outlook with 212,000 miles, no timing chain issues. Bought a 15 Enclave CPO with 42,000, now has 100,000 miles, no issues so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts