EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at these and they are awesome(AWD). We have a big family, and I see towing wont be an issue for my 16ft fishing boat.

So, I like the convenience package but was curious about the in dash nav/backup camera options. Some versions have the video in the rear view and some in the in dash nav. Which is preferred or best?

Also, how is the DVD player option? I found one that has the DVD in the headrests which I'm assuming is aftermarket. I seen there are many different models and trying to get a handle on what features come with which model. I like the heated leather but was wondering if there is heated cloth as well?

What should I expect to get for total miles on this if the car was maintained? My budget is around 17 -20G. I've seen certified ones with 50k miles for around 20. So is the motor as good like the GM 3.8 where you could see 175k - 200k without issue?

Look forward for your feedback and suggestions!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
the 2009's have timing chain issues.
the 2010's have this issue corrected-- though there are some members coming on here reporting their 2010's had the chains replaced.
though for the 2010's it may appear to be an oil level/quality issue.

2011's and up should be ok for the chain.

I mentioned the above since you dont mention the yr of the ones you saw.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Things to be aware of on used ones in addition to what rbarrios mentioned.

Power steering rack leak
Power steering pump whine
Weak A/C and HVAC actuators
Many reports of A/C line leaks by the evaporator behind the dash, and rear HVAC lines leaking

Earlier models of the platform (2007, 2008, 2009) also had the wave plate issue which causes failure of your transmission necessitating a rebuild.

Later models from 2011 or 2012 are a bit more reliable but make sure you have any purchase inspected BEFORE buying. Just check the various boards (Enclave, Traverse, Outlook,and Acadia) since they all share most of the same mechanical equipment and have most of the same problems.

An extended warranty would also be advisable if you plan on keeping the car a while IMHO.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Prices jump a bit from 2012 to 2013 since 2013 was the last redesign. I would definitely recommend a 2010 or newer to get away from the transmission wave plate issues and timing chain issues. GM's CPO plan doesn't add a ton to the used vehicle cost and IMO is definitely worth making it a must have.

http://www.buick.com/certified-pre-owned.html

1 year 12k bumper to bumper and 6 year 100k (from in service date) powertrain is great coverage. Plus two free maintenance visits and it's pretty easy to make up the cost difference between CPO and non-CPO used.

As for towing be careful because non-tow package Lambda's (platform the Traverse, Acadia and Enclave are built on) are only rated for 2k. The tow package is more extensive on these than a lot of other vehicles, including HD radiator, alternator, hitch, 7 pin trailer harness and tow/haul mode switch. To add all that on after your purchase can be done but it's easily $1000 in parts and the radiator swap involves pulling the front bumper off. By comparison adding the tow package to our old CX-9 was just adding the hitch and the wiring harness since all AWD CX-9s get the HD radiator and alternator. Lots of 16' fishing boats pushing 2500lbs+ when you factor in trailer, fuel and gear. With a tow package though these make good tow rigs. I'm pulling almost at the 4500lb max for ours with my 21' Larson that hits the scales at 4400lbs with trailer, gas and gear. The Enclave pulls it like a champ.

Rear entertainment systems have never been a priority for me. Too easy/cheap to just grab an aftermarket DVD player for really long trips, plus my daughter usually would rather play on the iPad or iPhone anyway. Heated seats were a must but were standard on the leather package Enclaves we were shopping for.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Newest, lowest amount of miles you can afford. They get better the new they are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just looked on carcomplaints.com and sure enough the 2010s had issues with timing chain among other things. I found a nice 2010 but no warranty so I'm going to pass. I will be looking for 2011 to 2013. Higher the year the more miles ti keep in my budget.

Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
1 Posts
xyzb said:
I have been looking at these and they are awesome(AWD). We have a big family, and I see towing wont be an issue for my 16ft fishing boat.

So, I like the convenience package but was curious about the in dash nav/backup camera options. Some versions have the video in the rear view and some in the in dash nav. Which is preferred or best?

Also, how is the DVD player option? I found one that has the DVD in the headrests which I'm assuming is aftermarket. I seen there are many different models and trying to get a handle on what features come with which model. I like the heated leather but was wondering if there is heated cloth as well?

What should I expect to get for total miles on this if the car was maintained? My budget is around 17 -20G. I've seen certified ones with 50k miles for around 20. So is the motor as good like the GM 3.8 where you could see 175k - 200k without issue?

Look forward for your feedback and suggestions!
Just ran up my Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8L past 197k. Great engine. Driving 3.6L Enclave, so much more power, love it, hope to take it past 190k as well.

I am not aware of DVD headrests being factory, but could definitely be dealer installed and the kits match the leather/stitching. Remember, the factory DVD video doesn't play on the dash when the car is not in park.

As for mileage, I would suggest finding one at 45k or lower, that way you have 5000+ miles under basic warranty if there is any lingering problem from previous owner, that they did not disclose during trade-in. And then you have plenty of powertrain warranty left on top of that.

I think $20,000 is a bit low, to get a 2013 or newer with leather and under 50k miles. The 2017 models don't show an option for heated cloth seats on the Buick website, so I'd guess that was never offered on cloth, though supposedly it can be a dealer install as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts