EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received our 2008 Enclave just over a month ago and already have almost 2,800 miles on it. The other day when I was backing the car into a parking spot, the power steering seemed to have a loud whine noise, almost like it was low on power steering fluid. Car also seems to drive noisy when I am driving below 30 mph. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I had OnStar run a diagnostic check and it was all clear. Plan on taking the car to the dealer tomorrow and verify everything is ok. BTW - I have been reading the posts regarding delivery date and I ordered my car on July 26, 2007; according to the dealer it went into production on September 5th (takes one day to build a car) and car was delivered from Michigan to Southern California in two weeks (Sept. 19th).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Check underneath the car, see if you ran over an illegal alien who is wrapped around the axle. I had that problem.

Big Larry
[/color]

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ha how do you come up with stuff like that!!!! :blob: :blob: 8) :eek: ;D :D :thumb:

G

·
any car does that (at least gm) our enclave does this, it is because the power steering has to work harder to move the wheels, ever notice on a car with out power steering it was easier to turn when moving then when stopped, the power steering is just compensating for that.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Big Larry said:
Check underneath the car, see if you ran over an illegal alien who is wrapped around the axle. I had that problem.

Big Larry
[/color]
I thought it was built in Michigan not Ontario :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
When you turn the wheel left or right to the max turning point whether in park or moving forward or back, sometimes you'll hear a motor whining inside the hood. I believe that's the power steering working to the max. This is normal. I have the same noise on my other car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This whining noise from the power steering was much louder than what we have heard before. Just finished talking to the dealer and the power steering hose was loose, therefore causing the power steering fluid to leak and run low on fluid. I feel much better having it checked out, then stuck on the roadside because of an assumption.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
cbsatter said:
This whining noise from the power steering was much louder than what we have heard before. Just finished talking to the dealer and the power steering hose was loose, therefore causing the power steering fluid to leak and run low on fluid. I feel much better having it checked out, then stuck on the roadside because of an assumption.
cbsatter, Please let us know if noise is gone! I may be hearing similar noise starting? No leaks found yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the noise is gone - sounds much better! I know when we picked up the car it did not have this same sound. We put some paper under the car the night before and some of the power steering fluid leaked onto the paper. The leak was near the rack-pinion assembly lines and once the dealership re-tightned, re-filled with power steering fluid, the car runs great!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
cbsatter said:
Yes the noise is gone - sounds much better! I know when we picked up the car it did not have this same sound. We put some paper under the car the night before and some of the power steering fluid leaked onto the paper. The leak was near the rack-pinion assembly lines and once the dealership re-tightned, re-filled with power steering fluid, the car runs great!
THKS! Will check today!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well I guess this same thing happened to me today. My enclave is 3 months old, with 5500 miles. I've had no real issues to date.

I remotely started the car this morning from inside the house while getting my 2-year's coat on. Upon heading to the car to load him in, I couldn't help but notice the loud whining noise coming from under the hood. I hoped it was just cold and put the key in to really start it-- hoping the sound would disappear. The whine didn't go away and got worse once I put the car in reverse. The sound was terrible..I probably moved the car in reverse only 3 feet before deciding something was terribly wrong and didn't want to move it any further.

I called my husband home and upon walking into the garage, he immediately noticed a big puddle of fluid under the car. Worried that it was oil (and the engine had been damaged), we had it towed to the dealer. The dealer told me that the power steering fluid line was "split". I have no idea how that would happen. I haven't run over anything that would cause that. In any case, the new hose will be here in 2 days. In the meantime, GM is paying for an enterprise rental car. I can't wait to see what they bring me :happy: If it's a pitiful sub-compact death trap, I'll just stick to driving my hubby's chevy silverado! :happy:

BTW, before anyone points it out, I did see this post http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2034.0 but I thought that was different than what I'm experiencing......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This sounds very similar to what happened to us and we probably had about the same mileage at that time. We have not had any problems with the power steering since the repair. I am still experiencing the problem with the traction control/stabiltrak going off, understand it is a sensor problem. Dealership wants me to wait for it to happen again before they replace anything. If it happens again, I am really going to push forward with it.

BTW. our dealership told us anytime we need a rental car, the rental car company (Enterprise) should supply us with a comparable car and if they don't to let them know. I am sure the dealerships are insisting on this with most rental car companies.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
cbsatter said:
This sounds very similar to what happened to us and we probably had about the same mileage at that time. We have not had any problems with the power steering since the repair. I am still experiencing the problem with the traction control/stabiltrak going off, understand it is a sensor problem. Dealership wants me to wait for it to happen again before they replace anything. If it happens again, I am really going to push forward with it.

BTW. our dealership told us anytime we need a rental car, the rental car company (Enterprise) should supply us with a comparable car and if they don't to let them know. I am sure the dealerships are insisting on this with most rental car companies.

Good luck! :)

Hi cbsatter Seems the power steering has a small percentage of weak lines/fittings? Glad austin71 was home at least. And you were smart enough to get to dealer ASAP. Glad they resolved it.

The rental cars are a sore spot with me. We traded a '04 Caddy SRX for the Enclave. Sticker was $57K (we got it for $47K!) When a minor warranty issue occurred they were very accommodating in every way (rides home/work etc) but tried to put me in a Buick LaCross (decent but low level car) cloth seats, no power remote locks, etc. or Hyundai Tuscan buzz-bucket! I pointed out that I wanted a similar size/equip car for safety and carrying needs. After all why did I buy a 7 passenger crossover with roll-over/all 3 rows side airbags? They gave me a Caddy DTS sedan (nice, powerful, freighter) first time, and a loaded Chevy Suburban 2nd time. That seemed reasonable. Problem was Econo-Rental Car had limited supply of anything! I think they pulled a salesman's car or something.

Some GM dealers, except Caddy & Corvette, aren't used to a quality demanding clientèle. The Enclave is not an econobox. It converts Acura and Lexus customers, who are used to good service, all the time. Ask for the upgrade loaner :thumb:

Hope they clear up that pesky Stabilitrac light soon.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Good advise Smokin. When my XM went out, I was given a Cobalt to drive. Even tho it was only for a half day, that was too much. If I have to do that again, I will come out of a different Bag. Ha !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also had a problem with the power steering noise. Seemed to be coming up through the steering column. Took it to dealer today and they filled the power steering pump and bled the lines. Took care of the problem under warranty. Steers/handles much better and noise is gone.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Exact same thing just happened to me. 59000 miles and I was afraid I'd have to pony up for a new pump. Dye test showed no leaks. Topped off fluid and is again quiet as a mouse! And best of all, no charge for the fluid or the test! Even after warranty expired.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
rockyp said:
Exact same thing just happened to me. 59000 miles and I was afraid I'd have to pony up for a new pump. Dye test showed no leaks. Topped off fluid and is again quiet as a mouse! And best of all, no charge for the fluid or the test! Even after warranty expired.
Cool! :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
just took my 2008 in to have the power steering "whine/moan" checked - was told it was air in the power steering system. No one seems to be able to tell me how it got there or why the repair (bleeding the system) is not covered under the warranty. Im told no part failed so not covered. sounds bogus to me - I didn't put the air in the system - ergo I think GM has a bad design !!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts