EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it only my senses or the turn signal electronic volume is exagerated and extremely LOUD? I don't have pristine Buick service close by but last time I have been to the dealer complaining about this problem they told me the volume was within the specs and I cannot turn it off. Believe me...it's really annoying as I am far from the deaf.
I also checked my friend's Acadia and it is lower and seems normal to me. Would enjoy listening to other opinions. Thanks.

By the way 2 months yesterday and loving it (but the turn clicker...)

·
Registered
532 Posts
On my '09 Enclave, I've been extremely impressed by the quietness inside the vehicle. That's what struck me the most during my first test drive--before we bought one. Did you ever consider that maybe the turn signal clicking seems loud because the interior is so quiet otherwise? If it really bothers you, find where the clicking comes from and attach foam or other sound-aborbing material around the source. I did that on my Bayliner boat low fluid level alarm so it doesn't annoy everyone every time I start the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that fix but since the clicking is electronic and comes from the driver tweeter side it would also block the regular sound.

The quietness is phenomenal but I don't believe the clicker was not designed to follow the sound dampening inside. I still suspect it has a volume problem as the Acadia has similar system and it has normal volume.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I kinda like it loud - I mean it's only active for a short period of time...

What really irks me is seeing cars sailing down the road with one or the other turn signal lamp blinking away in places where it's obvious that the driver activated it to signal a lane change or turn & has forgotten to turn it off...

Most often see it on interstates, but occasionally it's on a road with frequent intersections where it becomes a guessing game as to whether the offender is going to turn or blow on by... This can be dangerous... :eek:

A bit louder indicator & they'd most likely not forget that the signal light is active...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've read this thread, and have seen comments on other threads, regarding the volume level of the Enclave's turn signal. I've had my vehicle for three months and, personally, I don't find the turn signal to be overly loud or annoying in the least (and my hearing is pretty good).

As a resident of Florida, I've seen my share of drivers who leave their turn signals on for miles and miles. So, in general, I'm not opposed to turn signals that can be plainly heard. Heck, for some drivers here I would be delighted if their cars were equipped with a turn signal that, in addition to being ear-piercingly loud, would also deliver an electric shock to the driver with each click.

;D

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
TFL850 said:
As a resident of Florida, I've seen my share of drivers who leave their turn signals on for miles and miles. So, in general, I'm not opposed to turn signals that can be plainly heard. Heck, for some drivers here I would be delighted if their cars were equipped with a turn signal that, in addition to being ear-piercingly loud, would also deliver an electric shock to the driver with each click.

;D
Yep, I agree... Unfortunately, the electric shock would probably be misinterpreted as after-pain from a hip replacement... :happy:

My hearing is excellent also & the sound doesn't bother me at all... I view it as something of a safety feature...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If I recall correctly, the turn signal increases in volume after 3/4 mile or something like that to remind the driver that it is on. That was also the case in my '02 Rendezvoux.

Could it be that the volume thingy (that's technical talk) is malfunctioning and playing at high volume all the time?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know it probably doesn't have anything to do with it but the only sound adjustment I can find is the "chime volume" which can be found on pg 3/70 in the 08 manual. Might be worth a try?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately the chime doesn't change the clicker volume. Thnks for everybody's input.

Just being fair with all opinions and my volume reference among all cars I have had so far this is the loudest for sure. My friend's Acadia is set at the usual volume. It might be only my E with this problem...I will check with other dealer to get this resolved.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know we have noticed this in other gm vehicles we have owned, but never noticed it in the clave. Went outside to see and hear for myself and agree it's a little noisy, but i always have the radio on and have never noticed it. It certainly isn't as bad as some past vehicles we have owned, and i remember a tone coming on once and a pop up on the dic indicating my turn signal was still on , so i'm thinking i must have been listening to some good classic rock at that time. ;D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Speaking only for my self, I only use the three click position, unless I am cutting a little close in tight traffic and need some space.
I hear the click more in the Enclave but believe it is due to tone but not loudness. On several other vehicles I would fail to turn it off when the turn was not sharp enough to cancel the signal and that opened up the discussion with my wife, which was not fun.
BD

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know exactly what you mean.... And I do find it louder than the normal directional clinking noises I have come across in many cars. And not so much in the Enclave, but in other Buicks I have driven over time, I have also found the displays (speed, rpm, fuel guage, etc. dials) to be larger than on most cars....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Remember, Buick's target customer base are responsible for depleting Social Security coffers. Some have problem hearing, seeing, etc, thus - "louder" turn signals, larger displays,... you getting my drift? :)

On a serious side, I do not find the clicking sound loud(er than other cars I've driven) at all. Just right. On the other hand, I feel that the turn-signal+wiper-control stick is too soft to the touch and too crowded - quite a few times wipers engaged when I simply wanted to signal a turn or vice-versa.

I was startled recently when the "reminder" kicked in after about 30 seconds driving with the blinker on - was a long exit ramp - and the radio was off because everybody else was asleep in the car. I did not know of such a feature before.

But, ALMOST getting into an accident once because turn signal was still on w/o me realizing it after a slight-curve turn, and the oncoming car thinking I was making a left at the intersection proceeded to turn left in front of me - I think "quiet" turn signals are a safety hazard.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When Scooter & I made the decision to trade in our imported cars for an all-American fleet in June, we noticed that the audio on the directionals was very loud. Much more that we were accustomed to, especially on his Lincoln and Pontiac Solstice. I don't notice mine so much anymore on the Enclave as I always have on XM 81 BPM.

·
Registered
344 Posts
vip9 said:
Remember, Buick's target customer base are responsible for depleting Social Security coffers. Some have problem hearing, seeing, etc, thus - "louder" turn signals, larger displays,... you getting my drift? :)
Yep, that includes me. While I am far from deaf, I do appreciate the louder clicker. With tinnitus and poor hearing from too many years of unprotected gunfire, I really appreciate the audible (for me) clicker. My last car was so quiet, it was easily ignored.

On the other hand, my motorhome has the loudest, most obnoxious beep I have ever heard. It is so loud, you can hear it from outside. I try to use the signal for the shortest time possible. I would dearly love to put the Enclave clicker into the motorhome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really enjoy the interior quiet of the Enclave. I mentioned in another thread sometime ago, but one of the 1st things I noticed though was the turn signal audible...I swear that it's the same as my Grandfathers 1968 Oldsmobile which I had occassion to ride in back then.

No concerning issues with my 2009 Enclave at about 5400 miles. I got my On Star diagnostic report by e-mail today and like the feature. Alerted me to a tire pressure adjustment needed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We have 2 2009 Enclaves, they replaced 2 2008 Enclaves. This thread got us thinking so we went out to check the clickers on our turn signals. I didn't notice that they were any louder than they are/were in any other car that we own or have owned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am taking delivery of my new 2010 CLX 2 this weekend and had a laugh when I saw this thread about loud clickers on the Enclave. When I first took the vehicle for a test drive last weekend the first thing I noticed was the very loud turn signal clicker. I commented about it to my wife and the salesman in the back. So I would definitely agree with those who think this clicker is louder than normal - I have never driven a car with one this loud.

In the end, though, I agree with the continigent that says a loud clicker is not a bad thing. More than a couple times in my life I have found myself driving down the road with the clicker on for some time without noticing. An accident waiting to happen. I can guarantee that's not going to happen in my new Enclave!!!

B

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe all of you hearing challanged Enclavers would like a hand to come out of the dashboard to slap you silly when you leave your turn signal on all the way home. I've been driving for 40 years and have never had that happen to me. Maybe I just pay more attention to the requirements of driving. Seriously, the clicker in my Enclave is loud. Test driving other Enclaves on the dealer's lot verified that different Enclaves have different turn signal clicker volumes. My dealer said mine was on the lowest level it can be and the only other option was to replace the radio (from which the sound is generated). Maybe because I got the cheap Entertainment package I got the '48 Ford clicker sound and those with the more expensive packages got a quiter one? Maybe a quick survey: do those of you with the least cost radio think the clicker is too loud while those of you with a more expensive one think it's OK? What say you? :thumb:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
We have the base radio, and our clicker is just fine. I find this discussion a bit "obsessive", and yet I obsess over things myself, but the volume of the clicker is the last thing I'm worried about. ::) Good luck trying to figure it out, I think it's something that's just set at the factory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts