EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Enclave come with "cross members" for the luggage rack as standard equipment? Mine did not and before I ask at the dealership, I thought that I'd check here first.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Nope you need to purchase those separately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but apparently they must be Enclave specific to fit the rails. We've received no information for accessories for the Enclave...something has happened at GM...within 3 weeks of ownership of my Dodge truck, we received a colorful catalog of accessories available for the truck. We had to ask twice for an owner's manual. Again, thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
wegriffin8642 said:
Thanks, but apparently they must be Enclave specific to fit the rails. We've received no information for accessories for the Enclave...something has happened at GM...within 3 weeks of ownership of my Dodge truck, we received a colorful catalog of accessories available for the truck. We had to ask twice for an owner's manual. Again, thanks for the feedback.
True although, and rbarrios may correct me, I believe the rails for the Traverse should fit.

You can check GM parts online or other sites for rails which would fit.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
the traverse cross rails will not fit the E.

Diff design.

No manual with your new car?--- **** dealer...

you can also easily see optional stuff you can buy on the Buick website.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
rbarrios said:
the traverse cross rails will not fit the E.

Diff design.

No manual with your new car?--- **** dealer...

you can also easily see optional stuff you can buy on the Buick website.
Thanks rbarrios as I said you would correct me if I was wrong. :thumb:

Now for the..why...won't they fit? Is it because the side rails are different? Hummm...yea I think I just answered my own question, remembering something you had posted elsewhere, perhaps the TraverseForum.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
heres a pic of the Traverse design..

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Thanks I see the difference now comparing it to the Enclave.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
You may want to consider 3rd party rails (such as Thule and Yakima) as well. They actually do have a big advantage in that they go over the side rails and extent a few inches beyond giving you a much wider, uniform area to use if the items you want to mount demand a flat surface. For example, the cargo box that I use can only be mounted in the narrower "center" part of the rails (not the outer few inches towards the side rails, because sitting slightly crooked on the raised section causes it not to jam on opening and closing. Hence, even though the cargo box is only a couple feet wide, it takes up the majority of the center section leaving little room for additional items to mount. With a third party rail, that goes over the top of the side rails, you could mount that same box, with one side outside the side rail and still have room for a couple bike racks and/or snow boards. I actually regret spending the money on my GM cross rails as ultimately the system holds less. I get the extra bikes and snowboard on the roof of my Audi S6 wagon, but can't carry them with this GM roof arrangement. The downside of the 3rd party rails is they're pretty ugly when you're not using them, but they do come off very easily. I leave the GM ones up there all the time of course, as they are a pretty permanent installation. Just some food for thought if you haven't spent the money yet.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Got pictures??????

·
Registered
159 Posts
rockyp said:
Got pictures??????
Actually the middle picture above shows what I am talking about. Note that the area around where the cross bar meets the side bar has plastic casing that makes it a good bit wider than the main part of the cross bar and extends 4 or 5 inches into the crossbar. That makes it difficult to mount something like a cargo box in the area near the side bar and it must be near center. An aftermarket bar will not only be consistent in diameter, but many will extend 4 or 6 inches outside the side rails. That means the roof box can actually have one of its mounts on the portion of the crossbar outside of the siderail and leave a whole lot of the rest of the side rail for other things. I will see if I can find a picture of a Thule bar mounted...it is indeed worth a thousand words...or at least a couple extra bikes or skis.

·
Registered
159 Posts
rockyp said:
Got pictures??????
OK, so here's the best that I can do. What you see mounted on the roof of this Audi, will not fit on the GM rack, even though the vehicle is much larger. Note that the C clamp that holds the the Thule roof box to the crossrail is OUTSIDE the side rail, The crossrail mounts above, and is wider than the side rails. It is uniform in thickness through its entire length. This lets the box straddle the side rail and leaves room on the cross rail for two other bike racks. On the GM system the outer roofbox mount has to be about 4 or 5 inches INSIDE the side rail for the box to sit flat and square. There is no room left to mount the bikes. In effect, the GM cross rails, which do mount nice and flush, provide a significantly smaller mounting area than 3rd party cross rail that mount above. Its simply a matter of what space you really need.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I mentioned this problem, on a similar thread, in the past. Wish the existing supplier, or another, would come up with adaptor for Enclave side rails. At least with Traverse you can hook bungees in the top track groove but with the Enclave's "inside grove" you almost need a special adapter bracket to fit track. Even with factory crossrails they only come with an eye at each end so if you wanted to add extra straps to hold down a bag or whatever you only can attach to the 4 crossrail eyes. You would think they would offer additional "eyelets" that would slip into track. Or a possible adapter bracket that would fit track but then accept different aftermarket crossrails.
Guess if someone was ambious they could fabricate a hook that you could somehow twist/untwist into track groove without removing endcaps. Problem there is I believe grove is all plastic or lined with plastic.
As nice a Enclave side rails look they really aren't very functional.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Luggage Racks

Bruiser said:
I mentioned this problem, on a similar thread, in the past. Wish the existing supplier, or another, would come up with adaptor for Enclave side rails. At least with Traverse you can hook bungees in the top track groove but with the Enclave's "inside grove" you almost need a special adapter bracket to fit track. Even with factory crossrails they only come with an eye at each end so if you wanted to add extra straps to hold down a bag or whatever you only can attach to the 4 crossrail eyes. You would think they would offer additional "eyelets" that would slip into track. Or a possible adapter bracket that would fit track but then accept different aftermarket crossrails.
Guess if someone was ambious they could fabricate a hook that you could somehow twist/untwist into track groove without removing endcaps. Problem there is I believe grove is all plastic or lined with plastic.
All good ideas. Unfortunately, I don't think the demand is very big. My impression is that people who are going to use the roof rack a lot are more likely to go with an Acadia...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Bruiser said:
I can't guarantee that these will work but they should be a pretty close fit:

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Rhino-Rack/RSLP.html
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Yakima/Y03590.html
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Yakima/Y03523.html (these come it different sizes designated by the first 2 numbers)

The last 2 are made to bolt a rack down to them but you should be able to thread some eye bolts onto them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
sklunk
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing