EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
wvuguy said:
Can I call you the next time I need a brake job ?? :thumb:
:happy: haha, wow that would be a heck of a drive from PA to MO, just to get the pads replaced!

I usually buy the lifetime pads from AutoZone and I keep my vehicles close to 10 yrs. By the time I sell, I figure the pads are only costing me ~$10 per wheel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use manual mode quite often to delay upshifts. The tranny shifts way too early for my tastes and for the lack of torque at the low-end in these OHC motors. I set it at gear# 3 from a stop light (it shifts fine from 1-2-3 in my opinion) and then I take-over from there. It's more fun too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
bsox said:
Sorry, but I don't believe you dropped to 1st at highway speed. It will not do this, will go to 4th. If you were going 55-65 mph and dropped to first, your tranny would have been on the highway. It will not drop to first at highway speed. If yours did and you still have a tranny, take it in and have it checked out.
This is good to know! Since the manual mode always defaults to "1" when the car is not moving, I was afraid to put it into manual while traveling faster than 10 or 15 mph. So when you go from "D" to "L," it defaulst to whatever gear you are currently in? That makes much more sense. I have only used "L" when on vacation in southern California while going down steep grades.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I find that when I shift into manual, it usually lowers it one gear, depending on the speed you are driving. If you are going about 35 mph and drop it into manual, you probably will go into 3rd. You can feel the transmission gear down. You might want to try it at lower speeds so you can get a feel for it. In SoCal, I use it on the freeways when traffic is heavy and slowing, so I don't always have to keep braking. I also use it on mountain grades and roads in Northern California as it becomes a challenge for me to go down a mountain without ever applying the brakes. I've been able to do that down a fairly steep grade if no one is driving close behind me and still go down the mountain at the slowest about 35 mph.

Do love the Enclave. :thumb:

·
Registered
484 Posts
One more thing: As I recall, in the manual it states there is a protection against dropping down to too low a gear built into the transmission. You may want to read that section to find out more about it.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
htrdgrma said:
One more thing: As I recall, in the manual it states there is a protection against dropping down to too low a gear built into the transmission. You may want to read that section to find out more about it.
Yes, there is mention w/i the manual... :thumb:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Houston Red Winger said:
This is good to know! Since the manual mode always defaults to "1" when the car is not moving, I was afraid to put it into manual while traveling faster than 10 or 15 mph. So when you go from "D" to "L," it defaulst to whatever gear you are currently in? That makes much more sense. I have only used "L" when on vacation in southern California while going down steep grades.
If you are in manual mode and the DIC reads that the tranny is in "3" and you come to a stop, yes it does default back to one but will still shift as an automatic up to "3", unless you tap to a different gear. This design so that you can have an automatic but limit how high it goes for driving in hilly areas as an example.

Now in contrast, my wifes Aura does shift down to 1 and the DIC reflects this. Cought me by suprise the first time I used the manual tap on hers. Why the difference in this I don't know even though they are the same transmissions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like to use it when pulling my fishing boat. Its about 2500 lbs and using the trailering mode kills my mpg. So I use the manual shift to keep it in 5th when up to speed. The run through the gears for accelerating. Hills I like to control the shift points .

21 - 28 of 28 Posts