EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beating the Enclave among others. :'(
I don't think the award has the same status it once did.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is no doubt that the CX-9 is a decent vehicle. We looked at it as well and it was one of our 3 finalists, but it did not meet some of my wife's basic requirements. The Enclave has much more interior room and has an option for captain's chairs in the 2nd row. The CX-9's third row was less usable and only had bench seating for the 2nd row. The CX-9 was 'sportier' to drive and had the integrated bluetooth but those items were not as important to my wife. When evaluating a car, each user will have their own opinion. What is important to me may not matter to you since each of us looks at it subjectively. All things considered, I am extremely happy with the choice of the Enclave and can't wait to get it. Ours is scheduled to be built next week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is nonsense. All 3 of the Lambdas beat the pants off the Mazda. I thought I wanted to buy a CX-9 after I read Motor Trend's last nonsensical article where they picked it over an Acadia. Then I went to test drive it, and was completely turned off. The cockpit was tight, all the materials felt cheap, it was noisy on the road, and not very comfortable of a ride. Then I climbed in the 3rd row (or tried). I banged my head on the roof, fell over the seat, and slumped down in the bench seat. Once there, I pulled the 2nd row into place, and almost lost both my kneecaps. It was SOOO tight back there.

On top of that, the Mazda dealer immediately started pressuring me to buy, even after I told him I hated the car.

That experience alone, convinced me to buy GM. Although I bought an Outlook, I like the Acadia and the Enclave about as much, and all 3 are better than the Mazda with 2 hands tied behind their backs!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen Motor Trend's decline over the last several years. So much that I am considering NOT renewing my subsciption.
I have been a subsciber since I was a teenager(back in the olden days).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Didn't read the review yet, but I know they put a lot of importance on "sportiness" and "value"...........IE $$$$$$$ and the CX9 is similar somewhat in features/size but cheaper by a lot. ( I believe 4-7 thousand!) It doesn't have 4 year Bump-to-bumper or 5 years 100,000 miles Power train either! So to be fair...........I'd call it a "economical man's" Enclave". I not insulted by their choice cause i know the criteria used! I just wanted a superior Crossover ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Didn't read the review yet, but I know they put a lot of importance on "sportiness" and "value"...........IE $$$$$$$ and the CX9 is similar somewhat in features/size but cheaper by a lot. ( I believe 4-7 thousand!) It doesn't have 4 year Bump-to-bumper or 5 years 100,000 miles Power train either! So to be fair...........I'd call it a "economical man's" Enclave". I not insulted by their choice cause i know the criteria used! I just wanted a superior Crossover ;)
That's the thing. The CX-9 is not that "sporty". Despite all the marketing mumbo jumbo, it's just not that fun to drive. As for price, it's not any cheaper than the Outlook with similar options, and the included options in the Enclave are well worth the extra couple of thousand dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
MRBUICK said:
I have been a subsciber since I was a teenager(back in the olden days).
LOL, :thumb:

I looked at the CX-9 when I was shopping. We didn't take it for a test drive so I can't comment on the "fun to drive" factor. But with 2 kids in carseats I wanted captain's chairs in the second row so we could access the third row. And then I wanted a third row that was comfortable. My guess is that the people at Motortrend aren't hauling a bunch of kids around every day. If they were, I think one of the lambdas would have won this one hands down.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
We drove the CX-9 before we decided on the Enclave. It wasn't as nice a ride as the Enclave and the rear seats were not nearly as comfortable. I would call it a more "sporty" ride than the Enclave but if I want sporty, it surely won't be a CUV that I'll be driving! ;D

·
Registered
20 Posts
The CX9 was the first car I thought we wanted, then we test drove an Outlook - more room, better ride, better warranty, better MPG, better features minus bluetooth. Then I forced my wife to look at a Buick, it was tough but after maybe 2 minutes of just looking, their was no doubt that was our next car. The Buick was "plush" as we like to call it. Vert refined interior and great looks! We are coming from a Infiniti FX35, needed more room. Nothing else comes close to size and "plushness" when compared to the Buick, even comparing to the likes of the Q7 - which is 10 of thousands more and still has a questionable 3rd row.

On order and hope it is here by Christmas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our search came down to CX-9 and Enclave. CX-9 was a bit more sportier in handling...but also gave out more road noise. But once we saw the Enclave it was game over. The luxury and the iterior space of the Enclave won us over. We especially liked the third row space and luggage space. Yes the Enclave is more expensive but it is worth it. We felt good driving the Enclave. Only problem is the long wait for delivery. We ordered August 12th and are still waiting with no end in site.

·
Registered
172 Posts
BUICKNEWBIE said:
But once we saw the Enclave it was game over. The luxury and the interior space of the Enclave won us over. We especially liked the third row space and luggage space. Yes the Enclave is more expensive but it is worth it. We felt good driving the Enclave. Only problem is the long wait for delivery. We ordered August 12th and are still waiting with no end in site.
Speaking from experience, it is very much worth the wait. It has made up for our long wait (5+mths) and then some. I have driven GM my whole life and so far this is the best new vehicle we have ever purchased. I can't imagine a Lexus or Cadillac being any better for the money. Although I have never driven one, only looked through the windows, I can't see the CX9 being in the same class. If we had settled for our 2nd or 3rd choices, I would have been very disappointed.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
What else did they test, was Enclave even included in the test? In 2008 SUV list they list Enclave as underpower for its weight, while Outlook and Acadia got raves. I bet they didn't bother driving the Enclave, thinking it is just like any other Lambda.

·
Registered
53 Posts
coop said:
What else did they test, was Enclave even included in the test? In 2008 SUV list they list Enclave as underpower for its weight, while Outlook and Acadia got raves. I bet they didn't bother driving the Enclave, thinking it is just like any other Lambda.
The Enclave was one of the models specifically reviewed. No Outlook or Acadia, because it was for vehicles either entirely new for 2008, or with significant changes for 2008.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 11 vehicles "tested" were:
Buick Enclave
Hyundai Veracrud
Jeep Liberty
Jeep Patriot
Nissan Rogue (wasn't there a 60's Rambler with that name?)
Saturn Vue
Subaru Tribeca
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Land Cruiser
Land Rover LR2
Mazda CX9

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I am glad that Toyota didn't win it.

I know everyone is upset with the result, but the real question is does it matter?

If you go out today and Mazda dealer tells you that it is SUV of the year, will you buy it, or will you still wait 5 months for your Enclave to arrive? I bet you will wait, I know I would.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
coop said:
I am glad that Toyota didn't win it.

I know everyone is upset with the result, but the real question is does it matter?

If you go out today and Mazda dealer tells you that it is SUV of the year, will you buy it, or will you still wait 5 months for your Enclave to arrive? I bet you will wait, I know I would.

Upset.....NO WAY ;D
Chevy Vega once won, you know that one ended up.
Remember, which vehicle has people waiting in line for it :cheers:

·
Registered
172 Posts
coop said:
Not at all. We Enclave owners know the real truth!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
stiffi said:
The Enclave was one of the models specifically reviewed. No Outlook or Acadia, because it was for vehicles either entirely new for 2008, or with significant changes for 2008.
This is a good point. So, I started looking at the winners for 2007. In 2007 Motor Trend named the Mercedes GL450 as SUV of the year. Did they test the 07 Acadia or Outlook? Of course not.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
axiama said:
This is a good point. So, I started looking at the winners for 2007. In 2007 Motor Trend named the Mercedes GL450 as SUV of the year. Did they test the 07 Acadia or Outlook? Of course not.
Maybe the late introduction of the Acadia & Outlook(Jan 07) had something to do with them being excluded.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nice article on AOL about all the Lambdas today! To make you feel better! :)http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/gm-crosses-over/20071010145109990001

GM Crosses Over
Can Three CUVs from General Motors Set a New Standard?
By JIM MCCRAW, AOL AUTOS
" Most people that were in either crossovers or SUVs told us they were there because they wouldn't be caught dead in a (mini)van ... "

General Motors essentially walked away from the minivan market (keeping only the Chevy Uplander model), as did Ford, leaving it to Chrysler and the Asian manufacturers. GM, however, hasn't abandoned the American family, with three new crossover vehicles taking the place of their minivans: the Saturn Outlook, the GMC Acadia, and the Buick Enclave.

Pete Nico, the vehicle line director for all three new trucks, says, "The consumer research we did asked customers if they would be interested in a front-wheel-drive, integral body-on-frame vehicle, and the response came back resoundingly, 'Yes.' " He says that GM planned for either seven or eight passengers and a tow rating of 4,500 pounds, because their research found that’s what most people would tow with such a vehicle.

"Most people that were in either crossovers or SUVs told us they were there because they wouldn't be caught dead in a (mini)van," Nico says. "Many of the folks that were driving (mini)vans told us that they if they could find something cooler, they would drive it." He says most of the customers GM talked to said that full-size trucks were more than they needed, but they didn't want to give up the features of a minivan and didn't want to be a seen as a "soccer mom."

The new GM CUV trio reflects exactly that. They all start as front-wheel-drive vehicles, all powered by a modified version of the corporate 3.6-liter V-6 engine, now uprated to 275 horsepower from the previous 257. All three have new six-speed automatic overdrive transmissions, and they are all offered in a choice of front- or all-wheel drive.

See Saturn Outlook Photos HereSo they're not minivans, they're not traditional trucks, and although they are categorized as CUVs, they're not technically "crossover" vehicles because they don't use borrowed passenger-car platforms and didn’t cross over from anywhere.

The three vehicles share a GM platform called Lambda, developed just for this application -- seven- or eight-seater hatchback people-haulers with conventional opening side doors, not sliding doors like minivans. But they are not just clones of one design, like so many GM products of the past.

The three CUVs represent something slightly different for each of the three divisions. For Saturn, Outlook is their biggest family hauler ever, with seven seats and more room than the smaller five-seat Vue.

For Buick, Enclave is the replacement for three vehicles, the unsuccessful Terraza minivan and the odd-looking Rendezvous and Rainier SUVs, so it had better work for them.

See Buick Enclave Photos HereFor GMC, Acadia is their first front-wheel-drive vehicle ever, filling a void in a showroom otherwise full of body-on-frame trucks and SUVs. For now, at least, Chevrolet and Pontiac will not be selling their own versions.

We recently had the opportunity to test drive these three new entries back-to-back-to-back, and came away from our three weeks of driving, shuttling, loading, and hauling very impressed.

A first impression is that all three trucks are strong on acceleration and pulling power, their 275-horspower engines with variable valve timing and the flexibility of the new six-speed automatic -- geared for acceleration in first and second and fuel economy in fifth and sixth gears -- working effortlessly.

Another thing that comes through driving these three amigos is the sheer amount of convenience equipment that comes with, or is available on, all three. Tilt-and-telescope steering columns, OnStar, XM satellite radio, power up-and-down liftgates, rear parking assist or camera (with optional navigation system), remote keyless entry or remote starting, 12- and 115-volt power outlets, iPod sockets, DVD entertainment systems ... the list goes on and on.

See GMC Acadia Photos HereAs a result of a long 119-inch wheelbase, wide track, big 18- or 19-inch tires, and a great deal of suspension wizardry, they all ride and handle much more like cars than trucks. The combination in two of our testers of all-wheel-drive and GM's StabiliTrak electronic stability control works in all driving conditions to keep the vehicle going where the driver intends, without a lot of body roll or driving drama. Very reassuring.

And size yields space: about 20 cubic feet behind the third seat, almost 69 cubic feet with the third seat down, and 117 cubic feet with both second and third seats folded flat.

On the low end, the Saturn Outlook XR AWD 8-seater (starting price $31,555, price as tested $39,184), packs all the safety equipment a typical customer could want, including ABS, traction control, StabiliTrak, front, side and curtain airbags and computer-controlled all-wheel-drive. Like its Lambda siblings, it's rated five stars for front crash, five stars for side crash, and four stars for rollover (Saturn also sells a lower-priced XE version in front-wheel-drive starting under $28,000).

The Outlook has the same general shape as the other two, with the new Saturn front end design, bulging front and rear fenders, and a third side window with a racy forward rake. It has the same physical dimensions, interior room and storage space, with front bucket seats, and two rows of split-bench seats for a total of eight. You get to the third row as easy as pie, using the SmartSlide feature built into the second-row seats. The big surprise is in the third row, where, once the second-row seat is popped back into place, there is actually enough leg, hip and shoulder room for real American adults.

Over at GMC, the designers have gone the extra mile to make their version of this vehicle look like all the other GMC trucks in the showroom, with a huge logo floating in the center of the mesh grille, and a huge lower bumper that gives the truck a bit of a visual underbite, like a bulldog.

While it shares the same standard features as the other two, its ride and handling have been deliberately tuned more toward the rough-and-ready GMC image, although the ride and handling are anything but trucklike. The interior is very different from the Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave, with an instrument layout like a GMC pickup truck and red night lighting.

Great research and reviews on the new CUV segment: Are they for you?
Find Out Inside

In its own way, the Buick Enclave is as much a statement of Buick style as the original Skylark was in 1953 and the original Riviera was in 1963. It's by far the boldest design of the three, with a large and striking Buick bar grille, big triple-element headlamps with a blue main lamp, portholes in the hood, and a rear hatch/rear glass treatment that shares nothing with the other two. We drove the Enclave CX (the highest trim available is the CXL) front-drive version that started at $32,055 and bottom-lined at $34,340.

The Enclave interior is befittingly Buick, with just the right amount of shiny bling, brushed metal, leather, genuine wood and cool blue night illumination. It's by far the luxury leader among these three, with more sound insulation in the body to keep it quiet. The only major downside we were able to find among these new CUVs is that they are are big, long, wide, feature-filled apartments-on-wheels that are pushing 5.000 pounds empty. So the gas-mileage story is not great, averaging about 16 mpg city and 24 mpg highway using the new 2008 EPA method that shows generally lower numbers. That said, though, this trio of great CUVs is pretty terrific, and carries not one ounce of minivan baggage -- especially important for those of you that don't want to be seen in one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts