EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

How many could make it, if we had an all Lambda meet in Lansing MI this summer, 2010? Select all tha

• Yes, for sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, absolutely not

• Anytime

• Weekend only

• Want tour of Delta Plant

• Do not want tour of Delta Plant

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...here's the big question? How many of you would be interested in having a meet (all Lambda models) in Lansing MI (or nearby area) this summer, 2010? I was wondering also, if it's possible for me to get a tour arranged.....how many would be interested in that? And lastly, if you ARE interested, any input on how we go about getting this arranged? (I can take care of the tour part, I have "connections") I just want to make sure it's worthwile before trying to set it up. Also, would like to know what months people can make it, so if you put down, in a message...it's not part of the poll above....what months will work, we will go from there. Will have to go with the majority, for example, if I only have one person want May, but 10 want June, than the majority vote would have to win, sound fair?

Side note: Yesterday, I ran into a man visiting at our church, who works at the Delta Plant in the testing area. (Boy, I'm sure there's tons of questions people would have for him). I was nice to him, didn't want to get into all the issues people have, because most of that wouldn't apply to what he does. I told him about the forums and about some people having concerns, but didn't get specific. This guy tests the vehicles right after they come off the assembly line...., and has to diagnose/fix any issues, anything from a no start to things concerning fit and finish, etc. Sounds like a fun job, since it's not dealing with customers being unhappy, he's fixing things before they go to the dealer. You would not believe how many things they have to check, and would be surprised to find out they do in fact correct even the simplest of problems before the vehicle leaves the plant. For example, if they see a wire is crimped wrong, where it could be a problem, they fix it. Anyway, this guy is not the one I talk to about tours, but he said the one who I got a tour with last year still works there, and he said they do have large groups come thru sometimes, either a walking tour, or if it's big enough, they have some sort of train thing we can ride in...that would be cool. Last year I just took the walking tour because we had less then 10 people in our group. (but I don't know what the cutoff is for a walking tour).

Anyway, share your thoughts, and vote on the poll above, so I can get an idea how many would be interested in a meet.

IMPORTANT: Only vote one time, I will have this on all 4 forums, so only vote on the forum that IS your vehicle. That way, I can see how many from each vehicle will want to come

·
Registered
231 Posts
That would be very cool, but it would be about a 5,000 mile round trip for me, so I don't think it is an option for me.

·
Registered
617 Posts
That would be a wondeful run during the summer. Game on!

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun. But for me, it's too far to drive. I'm sure that those who go will have a great time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my first post even though I have been a member since before I got my 2010 Enclave in October...its funny that someone mentioned going to Lansing, MI and taking a tour of the Delta Township Enclave plant...my husband just mentioned today that he wants to go there this Summer...he is retiring at the end of March and that is one of his trip ideas... :) Of course June would be good for us or even July but August we are going to my husband's Army reunion in TN...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I know the Delta plant is 500 km from my house (noted that when I drove past it last summer)

Three of us from Ontario so far (Vanguard, rtolhurst, IMHIP2)

Not sure when, early May, mid June, late July, mid August, early Sept.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Unless something unexpected came up, I'd almost assuredly attend a Delta Twp plant tour.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not have enough time for a trip from NJ to MI due to work and family obligations. The concept is enticing, especially in that we would get to meet some of the forum members. Oh, well. Maybe a group of local meetings would be possible for some of us instead.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Kids,

You know I'd be up for a summer weekend trip/tour. I think it would be facinating to see how these vehicles are put together. Like I mentioned before. This could be a big PR chance for GM..their lambda owners wanting to see where there vehicles are assembled.

CT

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good response so far, glad to hear it! Just to clarify, I don't know for sure the plant will do Saturday tours, I put weekend on there to see how many can only make that for a meet (I know....what would we do besides the tour?....there is still "things" to do in Lansing area, we'll find something...but let's focus on the tour idea for now). If this all works, I'm thinking about a tour on Friday (again, will have to see), then people from out of town would most likely stay over, and then we could have something planned for Saturday (also, for those who can't make it on Friday). Again, this is all just thinking out loud, I know a Saturday tour would be the best, but for some reason I seem to remember they either are not running on Saturdays, or not doing tours then....but I'll find out when it gets closer. Also, not sure about if or when there will be a shutdown, usually in July, but that's all too up in the air, there may not be any shutdown now that they have the Traverse. OH, and if we plan this right, we could get to see 2011's coming down the line. I know when I took the tour last year, the 2010's were coming down the line, and I think it was late May...(will have to go back and check my notes on that...).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
kidsenclave said:

Side note: Yesterday, I ran into a man visiting at our church, who works at the Delta Plant in the testing area. (Boy, I'm sure there's tons of questions people would have for him). I was nice to him, didn't want to get into all the issues people have, because most of that wouldn't apply to what he does. I told him about the forums and about some people having concerns, but didn't get specific. This guy tests the vehicles right after they come off the assembly line...., and has to diagnose/fix any issues, anything from a no start to things concerning fit and finish, etc. Sounds like a fun job, since it's not dealing with customers being unhappy, he's fixing things before they go to the dealer. You would not believe how many things they have to check, and would be surprised to find out they do in fact correct even the simplest of problems before the vehicle leaves the plant. For example, if they see a wire is crimped wrong, where it could be a problem, they fix it ...
kids, by any chance, did this guy mention how many vehicles ( let's say out of a 100) they test and how they select which ones to test?

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chumster said:
kids, by any chance, did this guy mention how many vehicles ( let's say out of a 100) they test and how they select which ones to test?
They test ALL of them. If there's any that don't pass the inspection, then they pull those asside for fixing, whatever they need...but ALL the vehicles go thru extensive testing, I don't know what everything they do, but I remember him saying water test, electical, brakes (antilock), engine, transmission, you name it....they test it. They have to see that all options work, and they check all fit and finish. You many say, "then how do some come thru with any issues", for that I don't have an answer....but you have to remember these are all humans who do the tests, and can any of us answer that we are perfect every day, all the time? Just know that each and ever vehicle coming off the assembly line has to pass a number of tests, and for the very fact that things fail on the vehicle, I would say that over 90% of the problems are related to a fail of a part, after it leaves the factory...whether it's from something happening to it during shipping, or at the dealer, or something (unforseen environmental strain). For example, if a power liftgate doesn't work, they will fix it. But if it works then, and in a few months a customer has issue with that, there's nothing that the worker at the factory could have done to prevent that....it's more of a design issue, and perhaps all of the many many possible causes for failure could not possibly be forcasted, based on the tests they do. As for design testing, I'm sure these go thru many cold and hot weather type tests, but still that can't duplicate every possible scenario in the real world.

Sorry....got off on a little tangent.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Kids, I will volunteer to help with logistics as best can be done from Eastern Ontario.

Some greenlight thoughts:
  • a tailgater/BBQ at a local hotel parking lot
  • a catered breakfast at a hall, e.g. Moose Lodge
  • develop a standard window sign with our forum name; something that can be done in PowerPoint and filled in by each person
  • name tags with both forum and real names; co-pilot name tags
  • ... add more to the list ...

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vanguard said:
Kids, I will volunteer to help with logistics as best can be done from Eastern Ontario.

Some greenlight thoughts:
  • a tailgater/BBQ at a local hotel parking lot
  • a catered breakfast at a hall, e.g. Moose Lodge
  • develop a standard window sign with our forum name; something that can be done in PowerPoint and filled in by each person
  • name tags with both forum and real names; co-pilot name tags
  • ... add more to the list ...
All good stuff, but some of this will cost...so that's certainly something for people to let me know if they mind paying for something like a breakfast, or BBQ, etc. (Signs would be no problem, I can do that). What I'm trying to figure out, when we get things more nailed down, and this actually happens, I may see if my Buick/GMC dealer would be willing to let us use their lot...but a hotel lot, or something like that would be cool, but I'll have to check around and see what places would allow us to "gather" without any cost.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Let's just use the MSU football stadium/parking lot. It's off season. ;) :happy:

CT

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
kidsenclave said:
All good stuff, but some of this will cost...so that's certainly something for people to let me know if they mind paying for something like a breakfast, or BBQ, etc. (Signs would be no problem, I can do that). What I'm trying to figure out, when we get things more nailed down, and this actually happens, I may see if my Buick/GMC dealer would be willing to let us use their lot...but a hotel lot, or something like that would be cool, but I'll have to check around and see what places would allow us to "gather" without any cost.
There are mucho places on Saginaw Road heading toward the I-96 interchange that I'd think would be suitable as a basic congregating point (unless we end up with 50 cars worth of attendees, which I find kind-of hard to believe will happen). The Lansing Mall, Meijer, and the Holiday Inn are just a couple ideas right off the top of my head.

·
Registered
986 Posts
But if we use the MSU football stadium, we can all park on the field and take a nice overhead group picture from the upper balcony! ;) ;D I call 50 yard line! :happy:

CT

1 - 20 of 210 Posts