EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there purchased the Canvasback Cargo Liner for their Enclave. If so, any feedback on this product would be most appreciated! It looks like a decent product. We are looking for something that will protect the cargo area both with the 3rd row seats up or down. I'm concerned with issues regarding fit, velcro damaging carpet and accessibility of levers to fold down seats.

Here is the link to the companies website:
http://www.canvasback.com/

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Re: Canvasback Cargo Liner for Enclave

I saw this for the first time a couple days ago. Not sure how practical it would be, unless it came with storage bag to make it handy to keep in the car. And doesn't take up too much room. Looks like it covers more surface than most liners, though. Hope you get some opinions from folks that have actually used it. If you get one, let us know how you like it.[/color] :angel:

·
Registered
410 Posts

Ours just arrived late this week, and it was one of my weekend tasks to install it. It, alas, didn't happen. I'll try to do it soon and report.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Please let us know! I like the look...it can just stay in place all the time, correct?

·
Registered
410 Posts

[You guys (and gals!) inspired me to get off my lazy butt and install it last night. So here's some initial thoughts based on, oh 10 minutes of using it.... I'll try to post some pics later.]

We purchased this unit because we wanted a protector for the cargo area that would work when the third row seats are either up or down without having to take things in and out. All the rigid plastic trays would not work, as they are made for the third row seats up or down, but not both. Note that this unit also comes with covers for the second row seats. I have not tried to install those. Since we almost never put down the second row seats, I'm not sure how often we will use it. For today I will discuss only the cargo area / third row seat piece.

It comes as a single piece to cover the cargo area and third row seats. [The remaining four pieces are for the second row.] It attaches to the car via three rows of velcro that stick directly to the carpet -- similar to how the pull strap to pull up the third-row seats sticks to the back of the seat via a piece of velcro. The velcro is very heavy duty and sticks very well, but I haven't tried sliding a heavy object across it. We plan on keeping it in place all the time; however, if one were to remove it often, I do wonder over time what the velcro might do to the carpet.

While installation is fairly easy, this is in no thanks to the instructions, which are utterly inadequate. They are generic to all models, no pictures, no details specific to this particular configuration.

The unit is made of very tough fabric, I can't see anything I would put in it tearing it. However, if you do tend to haul sharp objects (e.g. metal box with sharp corners), you might want to consider something else. The unit is also flat. This means that it won't really hold much, if any, liquid. Again, not a problem for our use, but something to keep in mind.

It does not protect the sides at all. This is a bit of a disappointment. Neither does it protect the metal part between the end of the carpet area and the door. However, I can't really think of a good design that would, so I don't hold it against them, but you should know.

There is a zipper in the middle to allow for the 60/40 split in the third-row, so you can continue to have only one seat up, if you like.

It pretty much hides access to the little storage unit under the cargo area. Given how strong the velcro is, I would not want to remove the velcro often to get access to it, so in my opinion it makes the storage area useful only for things I carry but almost never use (e.g. jumper cables).

When the third-row seats are up, there is extra fabric that bunches up, and the fabric hangs lose. Besides looking a bit ugly, I could see it getting caught. Adding a bit more velcro would probably help.

We have the Cashmere interior, and the color matches very well.

Unlike what the website says ("Canvasback does not put holes in the liner to accommodate the 3rd seats."), there are, in fact, three holes in it to accommodate the two latches to put down the third row seat, and the latch to attach the back of a child seat. So the levers are fully accessible. However, the straps to pull up the seats will no longer stick to the carpet, so they just hang there.

While made to fit the Enclave, it isn't quite right. In particular, right by the liftgate, the car curves in slightly in, while the unit is square. So the ends curve up slightly. I consider this a flaw in the design, and I plan to email the company to see what they say.

It has a huge Canvasback logo on it. I could do without the logo.

So, all-in-all, I would give it a B-. It does what we need, but has some issues. If they could fix the fit problem, improve how it looks when the seats are up, and write decent instructions. that would raise it to about a B+. It would still have the issue of not protecting the sides and the metal part, and blocking access to the storage area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

jbradfor - Thanks for the great post! That was all very useful information!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

Wow jbradfor, what a great review! Thanks for taking all that time. While not practical for me and maybe others with traveling K-9's you have explained it with such thought and detail it should be easy for others to decide if it is right for them before they buy! [/color] :banana:

·
Registered
410 Posts

rikrok said:
jbradfor - Thanks for the great post! That was all very useful information!
Thanks. It kinda got out of hand. I just started typing and couldn't stop... ;-)

Rosita2001 said:
Wow jbradfor, what a great review! Thanks for taking all that time. While not practical for me and maybe others with traveling K-9's you have explained it with such thought and detail it should be easy for others to decide if it is right for them before they buy! [/color] :banana:
Agreed. It's probably not the best for vomiting dogs, but since the dirtiest thing we tend to carry is snow on the wheels of the stroller and potted plants, it does the job for us.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Thanks so much for posting this. Even though it is not perfect, I think this will be what I go with. I like that it does not need to be removed every time you put the seats up...

·
Registered
20 Posts

jbradfor,

Terrific review. Thanks so much for taking the time to make such a thorough description and commentary and for including the pics.

Appreciatively,

wetash

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Searchy No Worky...

When you are too forgetful to know what phrase to search on.

There was a discussion recently on one of the forums, I think this one, related to protective covers for the rear cargo area, including the third row seat backs. I think the covers would either be for the third row and cargo areas, or those two plus the back of the second row seats.

Does anyone know what the heck I am referring to? I would like to look into them. I think there was even a link provided. They are canvas or something like that - flexible and easy to clean. I am not referring to mats or something like that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Re: Searchy No Worky...

zman said:
When you are too forgetful to know what phrase to search on.

There was a discussion recently on one of the forums, I think this one, related to protective covers for the rear cargo area, including the third row seat backs. I think the covers would either be for the third row and cargo areas, or those two plus the back of the second row seats.

Does anyone know what the heck I am referring to? I would like to look into them. I think there was even a link provided. They are canvas or something like that - flexible and easy to clean. I am not referring to mats or something like that.

Thanks!
Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but... :thumb:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2093.0

http://www.autoanything.com/cargo-liners/61A1052A0A0A3266159.aspx

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Re: Searchy No Worky...

wait4me said:
Happy to be able to help out... Glad that you brought it up as I think I'm gonna order one... Perfect to throw in for our extended golf outings... :thumb:
When's our tee time again.....???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cargo area mat

I hate doing this post cause I know its been answered but I cant find it!

I saw someone had posted photos of a mat that they had that covered the cargo area and ran up the back of the seats so when the seats were down they were covered. Can anyone point me in the right direction! Please?

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts