EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bizarre thing happened to Halle today. We were on our way to my husband's dr appt when the "check tire pressure" warning came on. It was low, about 17 psi so we pulled into a station and added air. After only about 5 minutes back on the road the pressure was significantly dropping again. So we continued to his dr appt and I sat out in the car and called Onstar for roadside assistance. Great results, by the way! They had AAA there within 20 minutes and he put my spare on. Halle looked so funny with that ugly, cheap tire on her beautifulness. I said to the AAA guy, "You've GOT TO BE KIDDING! That's the tire they give you as a spare? He said yeah, they're pretty cheap these days. It looked like a tire for a little scooter. And it had hardly any tread. I then had Onstar call the local Buick dealership to see if they were open today (holiday), and they got them on the phone for me and so I told them we'd bring in the tire for repair.

After waiting about a half hour the service guy says "I've got bad news, the tire's been pierced on the sidewall and we can't repair it. It must have been one of those bizarre things." He showed us the piece of plastic sticking out of the INNER sidewall. I can't believe a piece of plastic could pierce those tires. Then the next bad news was that they didn't have a tire for us, and it would take 2 weeks to order one, 1 week if we pay $15 extra for "expedited shipping." The cost, $309 with the "expedited" shipping. One week. :eek:hno:

It's irritating to me that they can sell these new cars, yet nobody has the tires. And haven't they heard of FedEx? :angryfire:

We're having single digit temps and lots of ice. Driving home with one gimpy tire was definitely noticeable. I'm going to have to park it for the week. Poor Halle, she's so embarrassed, she doesn't want to be seen in public! :-[ We looked around the garage and outside, and never found anything that could have done that damage. Very strange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Why not just buy the tire somewhere else? It sounds like it is not warrantied based on what you posted. These are a lot less expensive too.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/se...=MNMINT&yr=2008&cs=255&rd=19&vid=011364&ar=60

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?filterType=oe&width=255%2F&ratio=60&diameter=19&autoYear=2008&diameter=19&sortCode=57600&minLoad=S&ratio=60&autoMake=Buick&autoModClar=&minSpeedRating=S&width=255%2F&autoModel=Enclave+CXL+AWD&filterType=oe&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&RunFlat=All
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zman, THANK YOU! I am sending you kisses!!!! You saved us bucks, we should know better than to believe what the dealer tells us. We have a Discount Tire near us and they are able to order a tire and have it here by Friday, at $154! :woot:

I still don't know how a piece of plastic was able to penetrate the sidewall like that. And on the inside, too. Thanks again, I love this forum! :love:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Aw shucks. I've never been given a forum kiss before. :banana:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
you sure it wasnt the actual tire sensor itself? They are plastic and are positioned on the inside of the rim.......Ask your dealership if that was the case. Because if that came loose and caused the damage, I'd say it is covered under warranty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
My wife has our Enclave so I don't have access to the tire warranty but I would check to see if "road hazard" is included. Tires are included in the 48 month 50,000 mile warranty.
As to a piece of plastic penetrating the side wall, the side wall is the most venerable part of any tire. Probably just one of those freak things; the right thing in the wrong place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
zman said:
Why not just buy the tire somewhere else? It sounds like it is not warrantied based on what you posted. These are a lot less expensive too.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/se...=MNMINT&yr=2008&cs=255&rd=19&vid=011364&ar=60

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?filterType=oe&width=255%2F&ratio=60&diameter=19&autoYear=2008&diameter=19&sortCode=57600&minLoad=S&ratio=60&autoMake=Buick&autoModClar=&minSpeedRating=S&width=255%2F&autoModel=Enclave+CXL+AWD&filterType=oe&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&RunFlat=All
Before we bought our Enclave I priced the tires at tire rack, I expected $400 a piece and was pleasantly surprised at the reasonable price!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PAPoPo said:
you sure it wasnt the actual tire sensor itself? They are plastic and are positioned on the inside of the rim.......Ask your dealership if that was the case. Because if that came loose and caused the damage, I'd say it is covered under warranty!
I don't think it could have been the actual tire sensor, because it was still giving readings while losing air pressure, unless just part of it broke off and not the part that gives the readings... (?). I'll check that anyway -- who am I kidding my husband will check that out! ;) I'm also going to check about the warranty... I didn't know the tires were under warranty, probably excludes flats like this. But this makes me think.. Maybe something on the car broke loose underneath and caused the puncture. I kept the piece of plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
PAPoPo said:
you sure it wasnt the actual tire sensor itself? They are plastic and are positioned on the inside of the rim.......Ask your dealership if that was the case. Because if that came loose and caused the damage, I'd say it is covered under warranty!
I think the statement was the inner sidewall, not inside the tire. The sidewall is the weakest point. I had a similar event happen on my Avalanche, it was a piece of metal, but the right type of plastic in the right spot could certainly do it. Just bad luck. :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
Thx Xrayman for assisting me on the comprehension of the problem. I knew what the problem was as she described. I just threw it out there for her because you never know now do ya?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Today's plastics are very strong and sidewalls are not, by design. Ever see a 2x4 beam go through a cement wall, in a hurricane video?? Think of all the power and weight the Enclave's tires pound the earth with, and picture a plastic shard, just waiting............All too possible.

Good to know reasonable tires are available!! Now, even Goodyear, 19" SNOWS!! Our neighbors 2005 Nissan Murano had a flat and he even destroyed the "limited use" mini-spare too! Was he surprised to find out NO SPARES ARE MADE any longer for this auto!! The dealer called every salvage yard and wholesaler......no luck. They told him he would have to keep a full size wheel/tire in his rear cargo area!!!

He traded the Muran for a GMC Envoy later that week! Hear that, Consumer Reports??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smokin SRX said:
. . . Good to know reasonable tires are available!! Now, even Goodyear, 19" SNOWS!! Our neighbors 2005 Nissan Murano had a flat and he even destroyed the "limited use" mini-spare too! Was he surprised to find out NO SPARES ARE MADE any longer for this auto!! The dealer called every salvage yard and wholesaler......no luck. They told him he would have to keep a full size wheel/tire in his rear cargo area!!!

He traded the Muran for a GMC Envoy later that week! Hear that, Consumer Reports??????
Yes, at least you can order them but we still had to wait a WEEK to get the tire in. Ridiculous. I had to go Halle-less for a whole week, it was torture! I'm almost tempted to buy another tire to keep it on hand for another emergency should one arise. :eyebrow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Buy one. Then if any of us need one for awhile we will know where to find one.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top